Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 12:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poop58 View Post
Thanks we are really researching everyday to find the best for for us. We're both vegans so I'm sure we can find plenty of options food/ grocery wise. We have around 9 months to decide so we appreciate the feedback. At the moment we want to be able to save while abroad and move back to the state's or Canada in three to five years. This all could change of course if we like it we will stay and just visit when we can
Hmm. Only 3-5 years, and the purpose would be to save money? Than move back?

As a long-term expat abroad, it takes a few years to adjust and get the right thing going. You'll spend way more than you plan to, especially at the beginning, and especially with safety issues, and kid's schooling and family expenses. Diapers or whatever aren't cheaper abroad, they are more expensive. There is a reason that people from say, Sao Paulo, fly to Miami, to do their shopping. Consumer goods are dirt cheap in the U.S.

If you are just going to go dirt cheap, i.e. only eat at local restaurants, (or vegan misconception that you can pick berries off of trees, and live off of that, in a third world country), you might be in for an awakening. You'll also have water issues, by the way.

Anyway, your post seemed a bit suspect anyway and disconnected. But the plan to move a family abroad 'to save money', and you are looking for rent of around US$800-1200 as well...an American construct of rental costs, meaning you are going to drive up rental prices with American dollars...ah, maybe Costa Rica.

Costa Rica has a ton of Americans who look for expensive rentals and properties, get duped on the sales, and try to pawn it off the next dreamer...I think that market is built on that. You might want to look there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 12:19 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I would do more research on Panama. CR has a lot of squatters. They can move into or onto your land and after a certain time period they have a legal claim on your property. Most owners hire a caretaker when they aren’t there for that reason. I was there for a week and it’s a beautiful country but I gave up the idea of moving there when I saw the razor wire on the roofs. If it was safe, why the razor wire? There are better deals here in the US. I have known several who thought they were going to retire there and changed their minds after a month or two. Proceed with caution. Do your research first....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas