Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times

Advertisements

Buenaventura seems like an interesting place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 01:02 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Buenaventura seems like an interesting place.
Its not. Some Pacific coastal town like Timbiquí, Guapí, Nuquí and Bahia Solano is where the cultures at. Quibdó too but its poverty stricken. Buenaventura is an industrial town maybe worth half a day before heading up the beaches at Ladrilleros and Bahia Malaga.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:51 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't recall ever meeting a black Colombian here in Canada or the US. Where do most black Colombians migrate to?

all countries.

Julito McCullum is one famous Afro Colombian actor in the USA.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:22 PM

149 posts, read 96,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don´t think Chileans think of most Colombians as Black. It could be most of the Black people they know are from Colombia.

Years ago I was in Paraguay and some people assumed that I was Brazilian or Colombian. I´m neither. Those were the first two countries that came to mind when they thought of people of African descent. Mind you Paraguay has a small Black population itself, particularly along the Brazilian frontier.

But no, I seriously doubt there´s a conspiracy to Blacken Colombian in Southern South America.

I would also say that in Colombia, I saw Black people present in the media, in TV, and in newspapers. So when Colombian media is shown in other parts of Latin America and they see Black people there, it´s obvious Colombia has a VISIBLE Black population.

The United States is not predominately Black, but Black people are visible in the US in the media as well.
Funny your story about Paraguayans assuming you were from Brazil or Colombia, and also funny that Chileans think of Colombians as mainly blacks . This shows you how little they have contacts or know about blacks , simply because in these southern cone countries the afrodescendants numbers are low, like in Argentina and Uruguay. And I can assure you is not very common to see huge number of (pure) indigenous either . Now, I'm not saying this region is pure white ,all I'm saying is that this region is rather half meztizo half Caucasian if that makes you happy. I'm assuming you are black then.

I had an American friend who spent a few times in Paraguay and told me that many avarage Paraguayans would pass as whites in the USA . It makes sense, after all is near Argentina and the southern region of Brazil ,and I myself seen a few of them and they rather look meztizo/white.

In the economical aspect , as far as I know Paraguay is one the fastest and stable economies in Latin America , mainly because the Brazilian and Argentinian bussinessess owners face tougher times in their own home countries and they prefer to invest in neighboring less developed countries like Paraguay. maybe this is the reason why this small country has seen more progress in the last decades .

Whatever it may be, it makes sense that nearby countries in the southern cone grow faster . Look at Chile now , it was way behind Argentina and Uruguay in the past years and now is the richest among them . I think if Mercosur and the Pacific alliance converge ,it would be very prospering for both parties especially now that Mercosur signed up the trade deal with the European Union. This trade deal would benefit the Pacific alliance greatly if they join Mercosur.

Sooo( what's the most prosperous region in latin America) ?? . The southern cone region of course (Mercosur ) . They are the ones who made possible the access to the European Union market. If I was the Pacific alliance I would jump to this boat right away .

But this game is over so, wheater if you agree or not with southern cone being a bit ahead of other countries in Latin America , this is the proof and answer.

Last edited by Untasted; 08-13-2019 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: ,

Old 08-13-2019, 05:29 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
According to the CIA (Southern Cone countries are in bold).

Puerto Rico $39,400
Panama $25,400
Chile $24,600
Uruguay $22,300
Argentina $20,900
Mexico $19,900
Dominican Republic $17,000
Costa Rica $16,900
Brazil $15,600
Colombia $14,400
Peru $13,500
Paraguay $12,800
Venezuela $12,500
Cuba $12,300
Ecuador $11,500
Guatemala $8,200
El Salvador $8,000
Bolivia $7,600
Nicaragua $5,900
Honduras $5,600
Haiti $1,800
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...11rank.html#AR

Panama 5.40%
Nicaragua 4.90%
Honduras 4.80%
Paraguay 4.80%
Dominican Republic 4.30%
Bolivia 4.20%
Costa Rica 3.30%
Argentina 2.90%
Guatemala 2.80%
Uruguay 2.70%
Peru 2.50%
Ecuador 2.40%
El Salvador 2.30%
Mexico 2.00%
Colombia 1.80%
Cuba 1.60%
Chile 1.50%
Haiti 1.20%
Brazil 1.00%
Puerto Rico -2.40%
Venezuela -14.00%
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...10rank.html#AR

Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 PM

491 posts, read 753,257 times
Only one of the top three has IMF qualifying basically as fully developed*. Chileans travel VISA free just like the other two southern cone neighbors did once. I don't see where you even begin to compare them to chile

PANAMA

SANTIAGO

PUERTO RICO

*https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1NE27T

Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
But they interact with Colombian immigrants on a daily basis, and I'm sure most of them notice that the majority of these immigrants aren't Black. The Colombian diaspora in Chile is over 100k people and, as the years went by, it became very heterogeneous. There's people from all Colombian social classes in Chile, people from the Coffee Axis, and from other regions. I know two people living in Chile, one of my students (she's from Boyacá and lives with her Bogotano husband there) and a relative of one of my young brother friends (he is from here, Cundinamarca). None of the two is Black.

They might know that most Colombians there aren't Black, but try to "blacken" (?) them in certain speeches, in order to berate them; because being Black is a good reason to discriminate in our Latin American society where Casta system is still somewhat alive.

"Congolombianos" is much older than that, it's more of an Internet slur term. Even I have used it in an ironic way, in certain internet places more prone to trolling and flaming. "Culombiano" is very old too.

"Colombiafrica" is the name of a band. Colombiafrica the Mystic Orchestra.
Well, even if Colombians have been coming over to Chile from ALL parts, there is, in fact, a disproportionate percentage of Afro Colombians in Chile. Many from Valle del Cauca. The best man in my wedding lived in Santiago for 2 years and can attest to this. Some were actually stowaways on ships that went from Buenaventura to places like Antofagasta, believe it or not.

So I don´t know if Chileans are just taking Paisas, Rolos, and Caleños and trying to "blacken" them...a lot of those urban interior Colombians are whiter than Chileans anyway. I just think enough Afro Colombians have gone there enough for a stereotype to develop...like it took me going to Mexico to realize that all Mexicans weren´t short and indigenous looking...that´s what I got from living in the United States and seeing the average profile of which Mexicans were willing to risk their lives to work under the table in the U.S....I admit I was ignorant now, but it was all I knew at the time. Mexican "fresa" type people don´t need those jobs...rich Colombians don´t really need to go to Chile.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post

Sooo( what's the most prosperous region in latin America) ?? . The southern cone region of course (Mercosur ) . They are the ones who made possible the access to the European Union market. If I was the Pacific alliance I would jump to this boat right away .

You're so out of the loop regarding other Latin American countries current realities (a typically Brazilian trait). Chile, Peru and Colombia have had a Free Trade Agreement with the EU for years. They don't need Mercosur and No Mercosur weren't "the ones who made possible to access to the European Union market". In fact you're way behind the curve. The countries previously mentioned also have Free Trade agreements with the USA and some prominent Asian economies. I'm all for more integration but get your facts right first.

Finally Argentina and Uruguay are white majority but Chile isn't, which is in fact more Native American than North Southern American and some Meso-American countries as has been proven time and time again. Yet, this Mestizo nation is the most prosperous on the continent.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 PM

These Colombian girls look more white than the Uruguayan guy & girl they collaborate with. Even the Mulata (Juliana) and the Mestiza (Makis) look just as white as the Uruguayan guy. In fact Makis looks Chilean.

Filmed in Bogota's Echeverry Palace...

Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Only one of the top three has IMF qualifying basically as fully developed*. Chileans travel VISA free just like the other two southern cone neighbors did once. I don't see where you even begin to compare them to chile

PANAMA

SANTIAGO

PUERTO RICO

*https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1NE27T
That last pic doesn't look like Puerto Rico. I think it is somewhere else in South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas