Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:59 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times

Advertisements

Smells like arson. Destroying more evidence of the world that existed before Europeans. Tsk tsk. You can never completely erase the history as long as the people still live. And as much as you try to erase the people...they will always live. When will they learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 08:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

The people who run the museum have been vocal for quite some time that the museum has been left to rot. Truth be told the structure was the residence of the former Brazilian/Portuguese monarchy and there still exists a current of disdain from unhealed wounds of what transpired 200 years ago. There are books that have been written on this subject and some of my Brazilian friends admit that this is subliminal for the most part but still real and doesn't get talked about much.
Wouldn't the opposite be true? I've heard there's immense racial issues in Brazil and in the vast majority of former European colonies, they praise their European rulers. At least the majority do.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Wouldn't the opposite be true? I've heard there's immense racial issues in Brazil and in the vast majority of former European colonies, they praise their European rulers. At least the majority do.
That's a typically US-American oversimplification comment. White patriarchal privilege exists in all societies throughout the Americas as it does in the US. This doesn't really apply in the fact that the Brazilian monarchy is accepted as an important footnote in Brazilian history and is neither a source of immense pride or disdain its just an interesting element of the country's history.

Huge shame about the museum. Yet another blow to Brazil's shaky identity crisis.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:

I don't think so for Brazil some of the elite has intentionally for centuries blamed the ills of the country on the colonial past and the evil Portuguese rulers as an excuse for the corruption and extreme inequality and poor efficiency of the gov't. The problem is the descendants of the rulers are all still living in Brazil, those that live on the motherland never lived in the colony. I still come across some Brazilians online that are stuck in the past, it was a traumatic separation many of our families moved to Brazil. I'm pretty sure millions of the descendants of colonial Brazilians connect directly to my family tree for example.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:23 PM

990 posts, read 880,042 times
Quote:
Don Pedro I, the first Brazilian emperor was a Portuguese born prince BUT he came in Brazil when he was 9 years old he was raized in Rio de Janeiro streets and beaches among the people, he was pretty popular in the night life of Rio de Janeiro, everbody in Rio in that time saw him in person.

He was so Brazilian that he didn’t want ‘’back’’ to Portugal for become king of Portugal he wanted stay in Brazil, so Brazilians wanted him as Emperor of an independent Brazil.

He declared the independence of Brazil from Portugal athough his wife Leopoldina was the main independence articulator. Their son Pedro II was also emperor of Brazil and his dinasty ruled Brazil over 80 years and the country had developed a lot in that epoch.

So don't Brazilians like Pedro I??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fAiJJVAUj4

Most Brazilians are in fact Portuguese settlers who in 1822 became Brazilians, of course don't will hate the Europeans as in Africa, Amerindians etc. or Americans that fought for their independence from England.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:39 PM

990 posts, read 880,042 times
Quote:
I don't think so for Brazil some of the elite has intentionally for centuries blamed the ills of the country on the colonial past and the evil Portuguese rulers as an excuse for the corruption and extreme inequality and poor efficiency of the gov't. The problem is the descendants of the rulers are all still living in Brazil, those that live on the motherland never lived in the colony. I still come across some Brazilians online that are stuck in the past, it was a traumatic separation many of our families moved to Brazil. I'm pretty sure millions of the descendants of colonial Brazilians connect directly to my family tree for example.
How in the most developed Brazilian states, most people are not from portuguese heritage but German / Italian many people really think it

Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
How in the most developed Brazilian states, most people are not from portuguese heritage but German / Italian many people really think it
My understanding is that the rich colonial families of Portuguese ancestry still are very powerful sure they are now mixed with Italians and Germans but they are still very much influential.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
That's a typically US-American oversimplification comment. White patriarchal privilege exists in all societies throughout the Americas as it does in the US. This doesn't really apply in the fact that the Brazilian monarchy is accepted as an important footnote in Brazilian history and is neither a source of immense pride or disdain its just an interesting element of the country's history.

Huge shame about the museum. Yet another blow to Brazil's shaky identity crisis.
I find that extremely hard to believe that the colonial history of a country like Brazil is chopped up to an interesting element of the country's history.

Quote:
So these elite, who I assume are white, blame their European colonizers? They blame their ancestors? That's unheard of in the US within the elite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Don Pedro I, the first Brazilian emperor was a Portuguese born prince BUT he came in Brazil when he was 9 years old he was raized in Rio de Janeiro streets and beaches among the people, he was pretty popular in the night life of Rio de Janeiro, everbody in Rio in that time saw him in person.

He was so Brazilian that he didn’t want ‘’back’’ to Portugal for become king of Portugal he wanted stay in Brazil, so Brazilians wanted him as Emperor of an independent Brazil.

He declared the independence of Brazil from Portugal athough his wife Leopoldina was the main independence articulator. Their son Pedro II was also emperor of Brazil and his dinasty ruled Brazil over 80 years and the country had developed a lot in that epoch.

So don't Brazilians like Pedro I??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fAiJJVAUj4

Most Brazilians are in fact Portuguese settlers who in 1822 became Brazilians, of course don't will hate the Europeans as in Africa, Amerindians etc. or Americans that fought for their independence from England.
Wasn't that in the time of slavery? I assume a large amount of people couldn't express their political ideas.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:50 PM
AFP

Quote:
I find that extremely hard to believe that the colonial history of a country like Brazil is chopped up to an interesting element of the country's history.

So these elite, who I assume are white, blame their European colonizers? They blame their ancestors? That's unheard of in the US within the elite.

Wasn't that in the time of slavery? I assume a large amount of people couldn't express their political ideas.
No they blame the ancestors of the Portuguese that are living in Portugal.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:51 AM

82 posts, read 113,425 times
Quote:
No they blame the ancestors of the Portuguese that are living in Portugal.
This is very true, my parents are from central Portugal and I was able to trace my ancestry back to the 16th century for most ancestors and some further back, not a single one was listed as being born in Brazil. Most were farmers or lumberjacks and home makers and had nothing to do with the colonies. A fact which I have pointed out to Brazilians whom have jokingly accused me of stealing their gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas