Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:47 AM

321 posts, read 333,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. Most of my experience pertains to the Valle area, so it tends to color my viewpoint, but you're right there's other towns and locations with less crime.
Well Valle del Cauca stands out in the country for its homicide rate. Highest homicide rate among departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 08:20 AM

881 posts, read 921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
That's sort of the disparity between you two, not all of Colombia is Valle del Cauca if VdC were taken out of Colombia, Colombia's homicide rate would plummet. Joaco is from the Boyaca area, did you know Tunja has a homicide rate of 3.6 per 100k? We're talking Portland, Oregon rates.

I'm not from Boyaca nor I live there.

As for 80s keys response... No point of discussing anything with some dude who says that 99% of women relating to foreigners are "prostitutes".... whatever.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post

As for 80s keys response... No point of discussing anything with some dude who says that 99% of women relating to foreigners are "prostitutes".... whatever.
Lets be honest, that is why many North American men go there. Not just Colombia either.

I am not judging anyone, but it is what it is.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:53 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Northern Cundinamarca or Southern Santander, whatever from around there. That characteristic cynical tone from that area of the country comes through in your comments.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:59 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
I don't disagree but I'm inclined to think different, the fear propagated through the US media is real!
I totally agree. I haven't watched the news for years because it's the same nonsense all the time - spin, political agendas, inaccuracy. As someone who studied engineering and the hard sciences, the way the news relays scientific and medical information is particularly appalling in terms of inaccuracy.
Quote:
I mean, do you know any Colombian women who hang out with foreign men because they want to? (Apart from obvious things such as students at the university). As you well know, there's a lot of women there who are interesadas (opportunistic). Obviously there are some exceptions but the chance of a foreign man running into one of the exceptions is slim - he will most likely encounter the opportunistic ones instead.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:28 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I wouldn´t put as much trust on the US State Dept reports, because unfortunately they have been known to be biased against countries the US government has some issues with (regardless if those issues are well known or state secrets). A much more balanced source is Great Britain´s travel advisories and even Canada´s. At least those governments don´t act like a pissed off ex that can´t get over that you left them and due to that they paint you as the reencarnation of the devil. lol

Compare their advisories with those of the US State Dept and you will see what I mean for several countries.

I would imagine that the US puts out its advisories for Americans, and not Canadians or Brits, and I'd expect those countries do likewise. If someone with violent tendencies toward foreigners has a choice between robbing or killing an American, Canadian or Brit, who do you think they'll choose? Do you think it'll be split .33-.33-.33? I suspect more Canadians are going to walk away than Brits or Americans

Old 12-26-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
If someone with violent tendencies toward foreigners has a choice between robbing or killing an American, Canadian or Brit, who do you think they'll choose? Do you think it'll be split .33-.33-.33? I suspect more Canadians are going to walk away than Brits or Americans
Well Colombia has minor beef with Canada, Brits and Americans don't get landed with a whopping $80 US entry tax like Canadians do.

But honestly! Do you think a mugger actually gives a monkeys where their victim is from? They're just looking to get as much as they can in as short-a-time as possible without it getting messy (i.e. shooting).

The fact that you start with "someone with violent tendencies toward foreigners" sets the tone for your brainwash state. Unless you're referring to other regions in the world outside the hemisphere (bar Venezuela and that's at a push). Then fair enough, there maybe some minor(ish) validity to the argument.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:43 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:

The fact that you start with "someone with violent tendencies toward foreigners" sets the tone for your brainwash state.

^^^

This is why Brits are more likely to be killed abroad than Canadians.

I'm brainwashed because I speculate that perhaps some nationalities may be more at risk than others? Oooookay. That your best response?

Old 12-26-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
^^^

This is why Brits are more likely to be killed abroad than Canadians.

I'm brainwashed because I speculate that perhaps some nationalities may be more at risk than others? Oooookay. That your best response?
Yes, in general US-American (particularly of a certain age) are brainwashed to live on a constant fear of the outside world and that for some reason everybody hates them which is a load of baloney. Its partially this ignorant attitude which actually sows discourse towards US citizens, if they were just a bit more open, less pigeon-holey and less paranoid things would be cool.

It's no wonder over 2/3 of the populace doesn't own a passport, hence never travelled abroad in their lives.

This is not to say there are not anomaly countries where US citizens may be more in danger but that is precisely what they are. Anomalies.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
look, in latin america if you're white and you don't speak spanish, then it doesn't matter where you're from, you're equally viewed as having money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas