Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Thats not happening, most dominicans leave the state when moving out.
Statistical proof of this?

Since certain people here are not above lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 01:54 PM

10,089 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Embassy of Haiti in Santo Domingo

I have passed there many times in a private vehicle and now I realize that's the Haitian Embassy. While blurry, some vehicles seem to have a white license plates instead of a yellow background which most vehicles have in the DR. I assume they have Haiti license plates, which tends to have a white background and it makes sense in this case.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 3,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooveysmoove View Post
Racially, the Dominican Republic is about 10% black, 10% white, and 80% mulatto, while Haiti is nearly 98% black. And basically what the Mexicans are trying to do to USA, "reconquer by mass immigration", is the same thing that Haiti is trying to do to the DR. Not only that but the vast majority of immigrants are illegal, illegal immigration is never good, they drive up the already high crime rate even more, bring diseases and prostitution. And are obviously unwanted by the majority of Dominican society, why try to come to a place you not wanted. The flow of migration is too high, with most of them coming for no good reason, they flee a hellhole to try to make another country a hellhole. Im Dominican American and I think my country should build a border wall like the USA, except our country's border is much smaller so it would be easier. What do you think?
Mulatto? What nonsense is that? Dominicans are 90% Light/Dark-skinned Blacks. While Haiti is 90% dark-skinned Black ("purer" and closer to their African ancestors genetically).

Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 PM

91 posts, read 79,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingdalegiant View Post
Mulatto? What nonsense is that? Dominicans are 90% Light/Dark-skinned Blacks. While Haiti is 90% dark-skinned Black ("purer" and closer to their African ancestors genetically).
Dominicans are mixed race , Hatians are black. Stop with the afrocentric nonsense

Old 09-22-2019, 07:47 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Dominicans are mixed race , Hatians are black. Stop with the afrocentric nonsense
True, generally speaking.

However, I wouldn’t even call it “Afrocentric” because plenty Africans will let you know that you are not pure African and lack the ethnic/cultural ties. The one-drop rule is an old European/American viewpoint.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 PM

17 posts, read 6,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I spent 4 weeks in the Cibao, and the racism towards Haitians disgusted me. Particulary ironic were the Dominicans who complained about how poorly they were treated while working without papers in Puerto Rico, only to turn around and tell me that Haitians were thieving monkeys who practiced voodoo (I kid you not). Funny how many don´t feel empathy, even when the shoe is on the other foot.

Listen, Haitians over there work hard, really hard. Even if they´ve been living there for generations, they´re essentially invisible and will forever be treated poorly and never afforded citizenship. I guess intermarriage with Dominicans is upward mobility, but many people also refuse to recognize that these mixed marriages are even a thing. What if your family could never get US Citizenship? Would that be ok with you?

I am against all xenophobia, period. So no, I think your idea sucks.

Also, don´t drop statistics on race. We all know Dominicans try to ¨lighten¨their own racial identity. Mestizos call themselves rubios, morenos call themselves indios and black Dominicans call themselves moreno. Put 80% of those folks on the average street corner in the US and they´ll be identified as black, much to their self-loathing horror. Cut it with the Trujillo complex, you can´t share the same island and treat each other like an alien species.

I agree with your comment. I believe is quite a hypocrisy how many people move to another country and complain about immigration laws in that country,but back in their own country, they behave like immigrants are a cancer.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchullero View Post
I agree with your comment. I believe is quite a hypocrisy how many people move to another country and complain about immigration laws in that country,but back in their own country, they behave like immigrants are a cancer.
Example of anyone in question complaining about the immigration process in other countries?

I thought the vast majority of Dominicans that migrate to either the US or Spain (the two countries where the vast majority of Dominican immigrants move to) do so legally.

Not that the immigration process matters much to illegal immigrants, because they will do what they want regardless of the legal procedure. I doubt illegal ones even bother doing anything with the government, they just pick up their behinds and are on the way to their destination. Usually governments are thinking of keeping wages stable for the local population, keeping certain diseases out or under control (for example, anyone with Aids will have a hard time getting a visa from anywhere), labor markets that don't stick it to the local population, and other etc that doesn't apply to illegals for obvious reasons. First thing that must happen is to request a visa, something most illegals aren't doing anywhere, I think.

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-07-2020 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 04:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

I thought the vast majority of Dominicans that migrate to either the US or Spain (the two countries where the vast majority of Dominican immigrants move to) do so legally.
Are you counting Puerto Rico as the US? If so, that "vast majority" assertion is pretty questionable. That being said, it doesn´t matter to me I met plenty of hard-working, business-owning, documented Dominicans living on the island, but...no one coming over in yola is going to check with Immigration and Customs.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Are you counting Puerto Rico as the US? If so, that "vast majority" assertion is pretty questionable. That being said, it doesn´t matter to me I met plenty of hard-working, business-owning, documented Dominicans living on the island, but...no one coming over in yola is going to check with Immigration and Customs.
PR is simply too small to have an effect that is noticeable. The Dominican community there is less than 3% of all Dominicans outside the DR. Furthermore, Spain surpassed PR as the second most popular place for Dominican immigrants for a very long time. Dominicans in PR has a declining trend for many years. Dominicans don't even make up most nom-PR people there.

All graphs and such are from this study: https://issuu.com/inmrd/docs/informe_di_spora

Dominicans (as a percent) in the USA, Spain, Puerto Rico, American Continent, Rest of the World.

Trend of the Dominican community in PR.

Dominicans in other American countries (except the US and PR); absoluto = absolute, relativo = percentage

While the study cover up to 2015, for PR I expect overall it has become even smaller as a place for Dominican migration, especially with the unsettling factor of Hurricane Maria and the aftermath.

This article from a few years ago mentions how PR has seen a decrease of Dominican immigration while seeing an increase of Haitian immigration. Again, this was before Hurricane Maria and its effects in PR. Puerto Rico ya no es lugar de la “visa para un sueño” | Centro de Periodismo Investigativo

Old 01-08-2020, 10:14 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
On one hand, yes. Stats can be a little deceiving though. I´m not saying this moves the numbers by a large amount, but plenty of dual US-Dominican citizens, or even US Citizens of Dominican ancestry and/or mixed PR/DR, have been moving to Puerto Rico. It´s kind of a happy medium for them to live in a culture much closer to theirs, fly across the Mona Passage on holidays, still make dollars and enjoy the US system, etc. How would those people be counted? They might be left out of here.

Also, where would undocumented people even fall in the list? Are they counted?

So Spain still requires visas for Dominicans to visit? That probably indicates to me that many living there ARE documented. Lots of Colombians are going to Europe and just not coming back, ever since the Schengen visa requirements were lifted a few years ago...there´s even rumor of Spain putting the visa requirements back again, they´re not happy with how things are working out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas