Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 09:54 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,113,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooveysmoove View Post
No, I was just pointing out some of the major differences (race/culture/language), but that's NOT the basis of the wall. They bring too much unwanted things, we already have problems with crime with our own native Dominicans, why would we want to allow illegal immigrants that will add to that. Not only that, there's just too many coming to a small country, we are not a country with vast open wilderness like Russia, like i said its like pouring water in a already full and overdlowing cup. If they are not going to work together and fix their country they can ALL immigrate to some country back in Africa and leave the whole island for us, or we can build a wall along the border.
The first statement made was about race. So obviously that is what you deem most critical. I have no issue with the DR enforcing immigration policy in a human manner. However some of your comments are ridiculous. Why would they immigrate to Africa? They are Caribbean people. Haiti is theirs, not yours. Perhaps Dominicans like you should get your people out from the islands where they are bringing crime and prostitution first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 09:56 AM

1,546 posts, read 3,004,834 times
This is what the hell I´m talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RlG4b3LV9o

I´m done, not going to contribute anymore to this, I´ve made all the points I need to make-- Duélale a quien le duela.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:16 AM

19 posts, read 18,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
This is what the hell I´m talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RlG4b3LV9o

I´m done, not going to contribute anymore to this, I´ve made all the points I need to make-- Duélale a quien le duela.
Why don't you quote me directly and respond to what I said. So everything you know about my country comes from these Afro-centric propaganda videos? Your "contributions" to this thread aren't worth excrement, all you did was regurgitate the same crap I've heard ignorant people say countless times before. Earlier you said 80% of this country is black yet this video you posted above proves otherwise. Most people in that video look mixed, even though it was purposely filmed in some of the blackest areas of the country.

Again, respond to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banilejo View Post
What the hell are you even talking about? You're from a country where people think "LATINO" is a race, and most have trouble differentiating between race/phenotypes and ethnicity in the USA. All kinds of racially ambiguous brown people are marked down as white in American police reports, and you have non-sensical ethnic labels like "White Non-Hispanic". lol There where idiots in your country who where literally calling someone like George Zimmermann a white man, while he would be seen as "Jabao" or "Trigueño" in most parts of DR, a non-white. I don't think our racial labels are any more flawed then yours, in fact we're more descriptive and specific, we analyze every feature and have terms describing those combination of features instead of simply calling everyone "white" or "black" in your binary manner.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:22 AM

19 posts, read 18,271 times
Some protests in Santo Domingo with thousands of people from around the city. This looks just like Haiti and Jamaica, right, 80% black in the myopic eyes of "aab7855".

Old 11-04-2018, 10:24 AM

12,884 posts, read 13,193,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NjNL4Nsa4Q
I really hope you are aware of the fact that the East German communists built the Berlin Wall to keep its oppressed people in, not the free people of Europe out.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:49 AM

16,640 posts, read 29,326,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I know very well the history of the USA and why mixed people are often one-drop-ruled. I also know that in most other countries mixed people are seen as different from blacks and this isn’t a phenomenon of mainly Hispanic countries. It happens in Haiti too as well as in most Sub-Saharan African countries. The US has a very unique history regarding this that simply doesn’t apply outside of the country. Interestingly enough, I get the impression that even within the US things are changing with an increasing number of Americans simply saying that the one-drop-rule doesn’t apply anymore and an increasing acceptance of seeing mixed people as mixed. This is not mainstream yet, but it is growing as the mixed population itself continues to grow.

With that said, the most recurring percentage of Euro in genetic studies that have been done in African Americans is 16%, but we must also remember that they are including the heavily mixed population there too, which is a minority in the African American community. The actual Euro component in the non-heavily mixed blacks, lets call them the real blacks, is in the single digits and in many its basically 0%. There is nothing wrong with that, because its simply reality.

In the seconf genetic study I cited in my previous post they included two African American groups and its very clear that the African component (the pinkish/reddish bars represents African ancestry and the blue bars European) is the overwhelming majority in their ancestry, very similar to the Barbadians which were also included in the study (and the Barbadian results are typical for the English Caribbean). In the first genetic study I cited they also included Haitians and they too have a similar composition to blacks from the English Caribbean and blacks from the USA (red represents Euro ancestry and green reps African).

With Dominicans and other afro-latinos the overall results don’t look similar to those of English Caribbeans, Haitians or African Americans. This shouldn’t be much of a surprise because in the case of Dominicans, the average person looks different from how the average African American looks. People notice this all the time, especially African American men when they refer to the looks of Dominican women.
Wrong.

You really do not know what you are talking about.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:08 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,004,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banilejo View Post
Why don't you quote me directly and respond to what I said. So everything you know about my country comes from these Afro-centric propaganda videos? Your "contributions" to this thread aren't worth excrement, all you did was regurgitate the same crap I've heard ignorant people say countless times before. Earlier you said 80% of this country is black yet this video you posted above proves otherwise. Most people in that video look mixed, even though it was purposely filmed in some of the blackest areas of the country.

Again, respond to this.
Well sir, I said I was done, but it seems like you really want an answer. I won´t take the aggressive tone you do though. This is supposed to be a discussion, and I´m going to make it like one.

I have lived in Latin America for almost 8 years, 2 years in Puerto Rico and 6 in Colombia, respectively. I know that the US is limited in their labelling of race, you are correct. And within these myopic classifications of race, many Dominicans (maybe not all the ones from the protest in the upscale neighborhood of Santo Domingo that you showed us) would be classified as black when they move to a place in the United States that isn´t used to the more descriptive latino racial labels. It might take some of these new arrivals aback. This was really all I ever said. They are used to calling Haitians ¨los negros¨, but in another country they could be considered black also. Sean Paul is white by Jamaican standards, did you know that?

Why when someone not from the Caribbean calls out the obvious, people get so offended? Here´s a source, staight from the horse´s mouth. Not black American propaganda or anything like that. Nope, this is written for Dominicans, by Dominicans. Peep it out.

Hoy Digital - República Dominicana: ¿Negro yo? No, indio

Vale más que el excremento, diría yo. Good hair...bad hair...dark-skinned indian, light skinned indian....no ownership. That´s cool though. It´s how it is.

I just notice that Dominicans often label themselves without any regards to an African background. Is that ok with me? Sure. It´s their culture, fine.

I´m simply against the hatred and disdain many show towards Haitians. It´s alive and well in the Cibao:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-human-rights

There, I responded.

Last edited by aab7855; 11-04-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 02:25 PM

1,153 posts, read 624,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Doesn’t change the fact that a number of Dominicans are in other nations illegally and have brought more crime and prostitution with them. In comparison with the Haitians, Haitians seem to work harder and bring less crime and prostitution.
You should spread this news to the xenophobic South American countries like Chile and Colombia who have deported and mistreated many hard working Haitian immigrants.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...202589599.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ssey-1.4307595

Colombians have a stereotype for committing crimes and getting into prostitution in most Latin American countries so they should treat Haitians and Venezuelans with more respect based on that understanding.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:28 PM

1,153 posts, read 624,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Well sir, I said I was done, but it seems like you really want an answer. I won´t take the aggressive tone you do though. This is supposed to be a discussion, and I´m going to make it like one.

I have lived in Latin America for almost 8 years, 2 years in Puerto Rico and 6 in Colombia, respectively. I know that the US is limited in their labelling of race, you are correct. And within these myopic classifications of race, many Dominicans (maybe not all the ones from the protest in the upscale neighborhood of Santo Domingo that you showed us) would be classified as black when they move to a place in the United States that isn´t used to the more descriptive latino racial labels. It might take some of these new arrivals them aback. This was really all I ever said. They are used to calling Haitians ¨los negros¨, but in another country they could be considered black also. Sean Paul is white by Jamaican standards, did you know that?

Why when someone not from the Caribbean calls out the obvious, people get so offended? Here´s a source, staight from the horse´s mouth. Not black American propaganda or anything like that. Nope, this is written for Dominicans, by Dominicans. Peep it out.

Hoy Digital - República Dominicana: ¿Negro yo? No, indio

Vale más que el excremento, diría yo. Good hair...bad hair...dark-skinned indian, light skinned indian....no ownership. That´s cool though. It´s how it is.

I just notice that Dominicans often label themselves without any regards to an African background. Is that ok with me? Sure. It´s their culture, fine.

I´m simply against the hatred and disdain many show towards Haitians. It´s alive and well in the Cibao:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-human-rights

There, I responded.
Most Mexicans would be viewed as First Nations/Indigenous in Canada. The fact that Mexicans don't identify as an Indigenous/Indio nation must mean they have self hate issues as well I suppose.

Also, they should accept Central American migrants regardless of their immigration status based on having a similar bloodline, no?

Old 11-04-2018, 04:51 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,232,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooveysmoove View Post
Racially, the Dominican Republic is about 10% black, 10% white, and 80% mulatto, while Haiti is nearly 98% black. And basically what the Mexicans are trying to do to USA, "reconquer by mass immigration", is the same thing that Haiti is trying to do to the DR. Not only that but the vast majority of immigrants are illegal, illegal immigration is never good, they drive up the already high crime rate even more, bring diseases and prostitution. And are obviously unwanted by the majority of Dominican society, why try to come to a place you not wanted. The flow of migration is too high, with most of them coming for no good reason, they flee a hellhole to try to make another country a hellhole. Im Dominican American and I think my country should build a border wall like the USA, except our country's border is much smaller so it would be easier. What do you think?
10% black? 80% mulatto? where are you getting your statistics? And you do know that a very, very, large majority of those you say are mulatto are mixed with black right?

I know Trujillo brainwashed people with that propaganda but......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas