Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Why is Trinidad so unknown, whereas Jamaica practically has legendary status?

I'm going to guess it all has to do with Bob Marley and Rastafarianism, but, still....you'd think Trinidad would have some kind of name for itself by now. It seems like it has enough interesting things going for it...what holds it back from being more well-known and more popular or talked about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 10:53 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Maybe history. Jamaica was a hotbed for pirates, Trinidad not so much.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:10 AM

678 posts, read 1,204,772 times
Just to clarify some questions:

- Why did you pick up "Trinindad" (and Tobago of course) to rival Jamaica?

- I don't really see the "legendary" status on them apart from Reggae (as for natural resources and economy, there's many other places nearby that better stands for that nickname)

Old 11-19-2018, 11:27 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
As a Soccer fan, Both Jamaica & Trinidad + Tobago have qualified once for FIFA World Cup.

As a Cricket fan, players from both nations participate in West Indies Cricket Team.

Both Countries have produced good Athletes- Jamaica a tad more.

Trinidad & Tobago is not unknown by any standards.

Only unknown places are those islands still governed by European Colonial powers.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:51 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
[I can only speak from an American perspective..]

Jamaica is known for rastas [considered cool to mainstream America], reggae [considered cool to mainstream America], ganja/weed [considered extremely cool to mainstream America], exaggerated dramatic accents [considered funny to mainstream America] and being very laid back [very cool to mainstream America].

Most people don't really know much about Trinidad (except for Nicki Minaj who isnt even actually from Trinidad technically, isn't even THAT popular outside of so-called "Urban America" and isn't considered to have that likeable of a personality {which is part of the reason why Cardi B is outshining her so easily - but lets save that discussion for another thread!}). Jamaica has also been aggressively marketed as one of the main Caribbean travel destinations for generations while Trinidad has not.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 11-19-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 12:53 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,306 times
Calypso and Soca used to be REALLY popular back in the day.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:13 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Trinidad is known well enough...Jamaica simply punches above its weight which can be both a positive and a negative

Old 11-19-2018, 02:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
[I can only speak from an American perspective..]

Jamaica is known for rastas [considered cool to mainstream America], reggae [considered cool to mainstream America], ganja/weed [considered extremely cool to mainstream America], exaggerated dramatic accents [considered funny to mainstream America] and being very laid back [very cool to mainstream America].

Most people don't really know much about Trinidad (except for Nicki Minaj who isnt even actually from Trinidad technically, isn't even THAT popular outside of so-called "Urban America" and isn't considered to have that likeable of a personality {which is part of the reason why Cardi B is outshining her so easily - but lets save that discussion for another thread!}). Jamaica has also been aggressively marketed as one of the main Caribbean travel destinations for generations while Trinidad has not.
Forgot about rum [also very cool to mainstream America].

Old 11-19-2018, 02:17 PM

178 posts, read 230,255 times
I think of it as the people. Jamaicans are know to really show their pride and culture. From outfits to the music, to food, in family. Also the celebrities, we don't hear that much about celebrities from Trinidad.

Its like people from Brooklyn, NY. They say I'm not from New York I'm from Brooklyn.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:59 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Jamaica is the larger island and has a greater population on the island and in the diaspora.
Jamaican Culture is simply more recognizable (music, religion, etc.).
Trinidad's biggest export to the world is soca which I'm not sure if most people know that soca is Trini.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas