Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 03:22 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I don't care, it's still an ugly-sounding language to my ears. Jorge Luis Borges refused to write poetry in Spanish.
Obviously, this is entirely subjective and there’s no right or wrong answer, but how does one absolutely adore Portuguese yet dislike Spanish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 05:52 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Obviously, this is entirely subjective and there’s no right or wrong answer, but how does one absolutely adore Portuguese yet dislike Spanish?
Agreed. I find both languages beautiful/romantic...they are both romance languages after all. I give a slight edge to Portuguese but that is probably because I am more familiar with Spanish.

That said, I recall an economics professor in college making a comment about the Portuguese language relative to Spanish. He said, "Portuguese is like Spanish being spoke underwater."

It was not meant to be flattering at all! And it wasn't his opinion but he was relating a story he had heard or read.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:02 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
No, he didn't.
Later in his life he preferred to write in English because Spanish restricted his poetic license.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:35 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL Have you ever heard Tagalog? Jose Rizals writings were in Spanish.
Yes, I hear it every day. My wife's mother tongue is Chavacano, a 400-year old dialect of Spanish, and I love it when we have visitors and she speaks the gentle Tagalog instead of the coarse Chavacano, which sounds to me like Spanish spoken by an angry Italian..

Old 12-28-2018, 09:48 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Welcome to by far the most dangerous (sadly) city in Colombia...

Cali

*people watching video

Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I speak Spanish, and understand a bit a of Portuguese. I have been to both Brazil and Colombia a few times. I get chills up my arms and down my spine when I hear a woman speaking in Portuguese. It's way smoother than Spanish to me, and it's more intriguing of a language to learn IMO. The languages are very close but still have enough distinctiveness to stand out to me. Spanish is more romantic than English of course, but I think Portuguese takes the cake.

For vacations, Colombia is cool and very cheap, but Brazil has no rival here, one of the best places in the world to travel to.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:17 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

Cali

*people watching video
It also seems like one of the most interesting.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:32 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

Cali

*people watching video
I love Cali! Been there twice. Most recently in early 2018. Never had any security issues. But your warning is fair game. I always research ahead of time and stay in the nice areas of town. Also, I don't wear flash jewelry or watches and always ride in the front seat with my uber driver.

Finally, the guy in the video, in my opinion, was not making a wise decision in making a video in public. I assume it was with a smart phone. Better to keep that hidden in your pocket and not advertise yourself as a target for petty crime (or worse).

At roughly 3,200 feet above sea level, Cali gets warm/humid days but a cool evening breeze makes the evenings very pleasant! I love the evenings and early mornings in Cali for this reason. Of course, the seductive sound of salsa can be heard everywhere in Cali which is another major plus for me.

A short drive out of the city will take you up into the mountains past pineapple plantations and coffee farms to picturesque Lake Calima (at 4,900 feet above sea level). The micro-climates and changing landscapes are mind blowing and beautiful.

Cali

Lake Calima

Old 12-29-2018, 09:35 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
This one's at least 6 years old.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:59 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
This one's at least 6 years old.
2013!! That's when Cali had a homicide rate of 92 per 100k!!! What is that Londoner doing with his camera out? Love the music though, Caleños are dance mad.

Nowadays rate is about half that, way ahead of any other city in Colombia but still below cities like Baltimore, Recife, Porto Alegre, Cape Town, Salvador de Bahia and on par with San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas