Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 02:57 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I was surprised to find out that the state of Rio has risen to a homicide rate of over 40 per 100k.
Rio bate recorde de homicídios em oito anos, segundo o ISP - O GLOBO

Even more surprised to find out Porto Alegre in southern Brazil has twice the homicide rate of Rio.
https://veja.abril.com.br/blog/rio-g...io-de-janeiro/

Usually a state registers a lower rate than the main city but in Rio its the inverse that's true.

How did things deteriorate so quickly?

Rio de Janeiro has become a bankrupt state thanks to years of corruption at highest levels of government which alone drained millions intended to serve population and increase services. Their last 2 governors are in jail after graft scandals uncovered by police. In between, violence spiralled up. It's now going under Federal Intervention meant to appease things, but it's not working either.

On the other hand, São Paulo is by far a safer state, with a murder rate of only 9.5 per 100K. The city itself has even lower numbers (last figures shows only 6.1 from April-2017 to April-2018).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 01:47 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Forget the murder rate, you are not going to be murdered. Unless you are hanging out with murderers, which is what 90% of murder victims are doing, in every country.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:26 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
I found this article a little surprising, given the generally positive outlook we hear these days

September 9, 2018

The United Nations rang the alarm on Friday over explosive increases in forced displacement and attacks on Colombia’s civilian population. Authorities are struggling to maintain peace.
In a report, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that forced displacement went up 112% in the first half of 2018 compared to the first six months of a peace process with the demobilized FARC guerrilla group.
Almost a million victimized by armed groups

Armed action in Colombia. (Image: OCHA)

The explosion of violence in some areas displaced more than 19,000 people in the first six months of the year, according to OCHA.
Combat and attacks on the civilian population spurred a staggering 1,000% increase in the confinement of communities and a 1,200% increase in people’s restriction of movement, the organization said.

https://colombiareports.com/is-colom...return-to-war/

Old 12-30-2018, 11:55 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I found this article a little surprising, given the generally positive outlook we hear these days

September 9, 2018

The United Nations rang the alarm on Friday over explosive increases in forced displacement and attacks on Colombia’s civilian population. Authorities are struggling to maintain peace.
In a report, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that forced displacement went up 112% in the first half of 2018 compared to the first six months of a peace process with the demobilized FARC guerrilla group.
Almost a million victimized by armed groups

Armed action in Colombia. (Image: OCHA)

The explosion of violence in some areas displaced more than 19,000 people in the first six months of the year, according to OCHA.
Combat and attacks on the civilian population spurred a staggering 1,000% increase in the confinement of communities and a 1,200% increase in people’s restriction of movement, the organization said.

https://colombiareports.com/is-colom...return-to-war/
It shouldn't surprise anyone really people forget how big Colombia actually is and if you were to lay it flat out (i.e. no mountains) we would be talking about a territory 3x the size, its always been the rural vs urban dilemma, exempting the period pre and post drug cartel explosion in the urban centres 80's to early 2000's.

Colombia's varied and difficult topography make for fantastic scenery BUT difficult for State presence. The regular conflict regions of the borders (Nariño, Norte Santander, Arauca) and rural Northern Antioquia and Cauca are highlighted in that map.

The big inner and coastal cities usually experience the refugees but not the first hand horrors in the jungles of the Pacific coast or Tropical plains in the eastern border with Venezuela. Also the highways connecting the cities are all fine, its when you go deep into the 'veredas' in the conflict prone states that things can get messy. The fact that in Colombia you can cultivate Coca upto 5-6 times a year compared to 2-3 times in Peru or Bolivia will always mean that Colombia will be blighted by the 'War on Drugs', prohibition, human greed and the developed world's insatiable appetite for cocaine. This problem will sadly endure for a long time yet, covering and managing the issue as best they can.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times
Sorry for late chime in OP, but Certain parts of Rio are not good for non Portuguese speakes just as im sure in Medellin for non Spanish speakers. The better you seem to fit in, the less you are a mark for petty crime and targeting for the most part.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:39 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Sorry for late chime in OP, but Certain parts of Rio are not good for non Portuguese speakes just as im sure in Medellin for non Spanish speakers. The better you seem to fit in, the less you are a mark for petty crime and targeting for the most part.

Just as every major city on this planet, no matter the country.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:02 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
I have been to Rio 7 times and Medellin 4 times. No question in my mind, I prefer Rio.

Rio has much more to do, within closer proximity, as it should since it is a much larger city.

Where you stay in Rio will impact your opinion of the city. I have always stayed in Leblon which is the nicest and most upscale area of the Zona Sul beach communities. Many of the best restaurants in the city are located here on Restaurant Row (Rua Dias Ferreira). It is predominantly residential. Ipanema is a combination residential/hotels whereas Copacsbana has the most hotels (more tourists attract more petty thieves). Leblon is also the safest area—I have never felt remotely unsafe nor had an issue walking back to my hotel by myself at 2AM; I would not think about doing that in Copacabana.

The beauty about Rio is it has everything in one place—beach, urban, forest, parks, etc. No need to drive or travel 30 minutes or more to get to the beach. It is either in front of your hotel or a few blocks away. Ditto for restaurants.

Medellin is OK, but I get bored there during the day. At least in Rio I can go to the beach (sunbathe or walk along it) and be entertained during the day. Medellin is cheaper and the restaurants are a notch below the caliber of Rio..the women are comparable—flip a coin....No beaches close to Medellin (think Denver, minus the snow). Rio beaches blow away Cartagena and the beach vendors are MUCH less annoying than the ones in Cartagena (I have not been to Santa Marta, Barranquilla, San Andres, Bogota or Cali)...never felt unsafe in Medellin and walked home alone at night.

Rio has world renowned must see attractions—Sugar Loaf, Christ the Redeemer, and others (beaches, Jardim Botanico).

As far as language, I speak much better Spanish than Portuguese, but that has not been an issue for me. Between Google Translate and Google Maps, your difficulties will be lessened. The biggest issue with Portuguese is pronunciation and listening—some letters and combinations sound a lot different in Portuguese than they do in Spanish or English...if you speak Spanish in Rio they will understand you but you will have much more difficulty understanding Brazilians when they speak. If you are conversant in Spanish you will /should understand / make out words in Portuguese when reading.

The only downside with Rio is the nightlife is decent, not great (think more like San Diego rather than Vegas or NYC). São Paulo has much better nightlife....Rio culture is all about the beach. Lapa is cool but not a place I would go more than 1-2 nights of a vacation.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-12-2019 at 07:20 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 07:44 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,392,626 times
^One thing you left out Elchevere is distance (assuming the OP was from USA):

-Medellin is only a 3.5 hour flight from Miami. Rio is a solid 8.5 hour flight from Miami.

Probably not a big consideration for one trip but for some who want to make multiple trips that could be a consideration.

-That is a lot of return trips you made to Rio (7) especially since you lived on the west coast for so many years.

-Agreed about the beach in Rio. This does add to the daytime activities as compared to Medellin.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Yes...shorter plane ride to MDE....but I think 4-5 days would give me my fill whereas I could, and have, easily spend 10 days or more in Rio...now that I am recently retired, I could possibly see spending a couple of weeks there ...a former acquaintance of mine from OC (former linebacker for the Rams and now attorney) spent 3-4 months at a time in Rio teaching locals American football.

Also, Brazil requires you to go through the additional process of obtaining a Visa (at least for US citizens) whereas Colombia does not (still worth it, in my opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
^One thing you left out Elchevere is distance (assuming the OP was from USA):

-Medellin is only a 3.5 hour flight from Miami. Rio is a solid 8.5 hour flight from Miami.

Probably not a big consideration for one trip but for some who want to make multiple trips that could be a consideration.

-That is a lot of return trips you made to Rio (7) especially since you lived on the west coast for so many years.

-Agreed about the beach in Rio. This does add to the daytime activities as compared to Medellin.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-12-2019 at 09:28 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 11:05 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,392,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yes...shorter plane ride to MDE....but I think 4-5 days would give me my fill whereas I could, and have, easily spend 10 days or more in Rio...now that I am recently retired, I could possibly see spending a couple of weeks there ...a former acquaintance of mine from OC (former linebacker for the Rams and now attorney) spent 3-4 months at a time in Rio teaching locals American football.

Also, Brazil requires you to go through the additional process of obtaining a Visa (at least for US citizens) whereas Colombia does not (still worth it, in my opinion).
Congrats you lucky SOB! Ok, well you actually worked hard for it so I guess there was more than luck involved...

Hope you are enjoying your new hometown (the "Magic City"). I peer into the Miami forum from time to time to get your perspective.

Forgot about the Visa...that is an extra step to visit Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas