Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:53 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times

Advertisements

Do you think relations between our countries will improve, I've always felt an affinity with Argentina from football to their wine and their passionate fans at rock concerts ( saw Oasis live 2009). Shame the war has clouded that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 03:00 PM

Or, is the Falkland/Malvinas war an obstacle in better British/Argentine relations?

Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 PM

10,089 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Or, is the Falkland/Malvinas war an obstacle in better British/Argentine relations?
The easiest and fastest way to make an Argentinian dislike you is by calling the Malvinas Islands as Falkland Islands, and not supporting Argentina in that battle. Trust me on this. lol

Old 01-12-2019, 04:03 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The easiest and fastest way to make an Argentinian dislike you is by calling the Malvinas Islands as Falkland Islands, and not supporting Argentina in that battle. Trust me on this. lol
Ditto. I always advocate for self-determination of Falkland Islanders, however, when I've done that in Argentine company it produces an almost irrational level of hatred towards me.

I once tried to bring an Argentine band to perform in the UK via a government sponsored visa program and they literally wrote to me; "Colombian brother, we would love to perform for your organisation but please don't let it be sponsored by that sh****ty government". Needless to say the gig didn't happen, the feeling is still raw among many although others are less bothered, this occurrence took me by surprise though.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Ok, a tentative hand of friendship snapped off, then Falkland it is. We lost hundreds of British service lives.These islands never were Argentinian as they didn't exist before your country existed, Spanish empire but not Argentinian, it was only a British whaling colony until then. Just curious when were the Malvinas islands that important to you?

Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Do you know forget it Americas, I have just sold my house and there is too much crap going on for this. If I see Liam I would say don`t bother touring their again.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Ok, a tentative hand of friendship snapped off, then Falkland it is. We lost hundreds of British service lives.These islands never were Argentinian as they didn't exist before your country existed, Spanish empire but not Argentinian, it was only a British whaling colony until then. Just curious when were the Malvinas islands that important to you?
First of all take a deep breath, secondly who are you referring your question to? No one has said that Malvinas are important to them we are simply relaying personal experiences relating to the subject.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:29 PM

This is not about the Malvinas but about improving relations? deep breathe. But honestly Europe has its own problems without bothering South America, lets just close this.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
This is not about the Malvinas but about improving relations? deep breathe. But honestly Europe has its own problems without bothering South America, lets just close this.
Maybe a positive Argentine comment will lighten your mood...let's wait and see.

I'm pretty sure relations are fine, a significant number of Brits and Argentines visit each others countries, this is just a sensitive subject. Moreso for Argentines than Brits and even then there's some that don't really care.

I would be interested to know how a Trelew native feels on the subject, being Welsh and all.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:55 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
I agree with England Dan here. The Falklands were never under Argentina to begin with. They were uninhabited until Europeans discovered them and then went through various phases of British, French and Spanish rule.

In theory, the issue shouldn’t be that big of a deal, but it remains a point of contention between the two countries. It doesn’t help that Argentina’s previous president Cristina de Kirchner decided to reassess her claim on the island.

Most Falklanders (99.8 %) have expressed a desire to remain a British Overseas Territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas