Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM

9,889 posts, read 14,745,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Can anyone make the case that Chavez turned Venezuela into a dictatorship because the US “persecuted” him? Is the US responsible for the lack of peace in that country? Why do some people in the surrounding countries want the US to invade Venezuela? If Maduro is such a treat, why don’t they do the job themselves?
Chavez knew a thing or two about running a country, but Maduro is a complete idiot and it shows. I say it doesn’t matter if its a dictatorship or not, if it has to go left or right, etc. What I say is that Maduro has to go whether he wants to or not. US involvement is the only way at this point.

Venezuelans have been given more than enough time to get rid of Maduro and they show that they are not able to do that. Their neighbors are not going to give a real helping hand. What is left is the USA.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-01-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 05:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,385,925 times
So I guess the United States owns South America. Really? LMAO!! According to Bolton South America is a US playground and Russia should stay out of it.

Freedom of choice concerning the other parties concerned doesn't enter the picture I guess.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...russia-1296784

If I were Putin i'd be sending more weapons considering what has been going on in Ukraine, Georgia and the like.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:30 PM

9,451 posts, read 10,749,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
So I guess the United States owns South America. Really? LMAO!! According to Bolton South America is a US playground and Russia should stay out of it.

Freedom of choice concerning the other parties concerned doesn't enter the picture I guess.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...russia-1296784

If I were Putin i'd be sending more weapons considering what has been going on in Ukraine, Georgia and the like.
We should set up a naval blockade and sink any Russian or Cuban ships that do not turn back. The Monroe doctrine is a long standing US foreign policy to keep European players from interfering in the Americas. Russia is a European power with imperial desires, Cuba is a Russian proxy state. The Monroe doctrine applies here and we should enforce this very old US policy. Russia needs to get out or risk something awful.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:39 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,867,484 times
Just what gives the right to America to conduct a naval blockade? Perhaps the Russians should be allowed back into Estonia, where at least a sizeable Russian population lives?
I imagine no country in South America would contain majority populations that would endorse invasion. Even if some of the right wing governments would likely approve.
1962 was indeed a long time ago.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:47 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,464,264 times
I doubt any South American regime would approve of a full scale invasion. It would be nice for Maduro to step down since he's useless, but I don't see that happening.

Unfortunately, the left has decided to side with him even though it's clear that he's flat out incompetent. As long as you profess to stand up to the US, the left has your back.

Sanctions are also detrimental as they embolden him, even though he's essentially used that money for his own personal gain.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:31 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,867,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I doubt any South American regime would approve of a full scale invasion. It would be nice for Maduro to step down since he's useless, but I don't see that happening.

Unfortunately, the left has decided to side with him even though it's clear that he's flat out incompetent. As long as you profess to stand up to the US, the left has your back.

Sanctions are also detrimental as they embolden him, even though he's essentially used that money for his own personal gain.
Do you call Russia left? Turkey? Iran? Corrupt most likely. Hardly unique for that part of the world. Regardless still holds the support of the military and large numbers of the proletariat population.
It will call be an honourable climb down from power, will as little loss of face as possible. Otherwise large losses in life can be expected and an economy in utter chaos for decades.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Do you call Russia left? Turkey? Iran? Corrupt most likely. Hardly unique for that part of the world. Regardless still holds the support of the military and large numbers of the proletariat population.
It will call be an honourable climb down from power, will as little loss of face as possible. Otherwise large losses in life can be expected and an economy in utter chaos for decades.
I’m talking about the left in Western countries. China, Russia, Turkey and Iran are autocracies at this point.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:53 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,344,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Can anyone make the case that Chavez turned Venezuela into a dictatorship because the US “persecuted” him? Is the US responsible for the lack of peace in that country? Why do some people in the surrounding countries want the US to invade Venezuela? If Maduro is such a treat, why don’t they do the job themselves?
Good point Mouldy. For all those latinos wanting to see Maduro go, you should send in your own troops.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Good point Mouldy. For all those latinos wanting to see Maduro go, you should send in your own troops.
What’s your take on the situation?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,344,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
What’s your take on the situation?

I think its a sad situation but I don't believe in any kind of intervention. And despite what some people tell you on here, Maduro still has a lot of support.

Also I think it is hypocritical that everyone is crying over Venezuela but say **** all about whats happening in Haiti and Honduras right now. Typical Latin American racism, classism and hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas