Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 06:23 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,453 times

Advertisements

To have racial unity in a country, one would have to believe in distinct races, but if everyone claims to be mixed and people
in one family can label themselves by appearance as "black" or "white", "mixed", there probably would be automatic social unity.

The concept of "racial unity" I think is nebulous in the Latin racial system. The Latin system of White Supremacy is "let's
get rid of the "African/Blackness" by making it disappear by mixing with it, that way, we can bleach it away." So they never
had an issue with black and white social interaction.

The Anglo/Northern European system of White Supremacy is " let's get rid of the "African/Blackness" by putting it away from us and keeping ourselves racially pure. Hence, you develop legal segregation in America and Apartheid in South Africa. The
bottom line of both systems was "Let's get rid of the Black".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 08:10 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Its more of lets make everyone the same in Latin America (or at least most families will have everything in society) while in the Anglosphere its more of lets keep everyone different and separate. You see it in the USA (in the past it was worse), in India, in Singapore, etc. The English kept the people living in different quarters and discouraged any type of racial mixture. Mixed folks were even seen wrongly as people that were confused and didn’t know how to identify unless there was a racial law that forced them somewhere. In some societies there simply was no room for a mixed folk while in others a special designation was created to include all types of mixed people and in some places even people that didn’t fit in the black-white dichotomy.

I get the impression that in the USA, which is most of the visitors in this forum, there is a desire to make everywhere the same, even when they do it very subtly. You see this a lot in forums where certain types of Americans tend to congregate, because you don’t see it in other English forums frequented by non-American English-speaking people.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
To have racial unity in a country, one would have to believe in distinct races, but if everyone claims to be mixed and people
in one family can label themselves by appearance as "black" or "white", "mixed", there probably would be automatic social unity.

The concept of "racial unity" I think is nebulous in the Latin racial system. The Latin system of White Supremacy is "let's
get rid of the "African/Blackness" by making it disappear by mixing with it, that way, we can bleach it away." So they never

The Anglo/Northern European system of White Supremacy is " let's get rid of the "African/Blackness" by putting it away from us and keeping ourselves racially pure. Hence, you develop legal segregation in America and Apartheid in South Africa. The
I find these observations interesting and they are generally correct in a broad sense.

Also, the white people in Brazil are of southern European ancestry. So, maybe it was a little easier for them to mix with blacks because they were closer genetically. Whites in America were mostly northern European, so that may have been why it was harder for them to accept blacks as part of mainstream society.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:00 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
To get ahead in the US, you have to play the victim card. whoever can be the loudest about being the biggest victim gets preferential treatment in social services , college admissions, employment, politics. naturally the race card is used to do so.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:25 AM

151 posts, read 133,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
To get ahead in the US, you have to play the victim card. whoever can be the loudest about being the biggest victim gets preferential treatment in social services , college admissions, employment, politics. naturally the race card is used to do so.
Since white men are the most ahead in the US, this must mean that they’re the biggest whiners abusing the “race card” then (by your logic).

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 06-23-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-24-2019, 04:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I find these observations interesting and they are generally correct in a broad sense.

Also, the white people in Brazil are of southern European ancestry. So, maybe it was a little easier for them to mix with blacks because they were closer genetically. Whites in America were mostly northern European, so that may have been why it was harder for them to accept blacks as part of mainstream society.
Proof that Southern Europeans are genetically closer to Black Africans?

Btw they are not.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post

Except it didn’t disappear.

Black People in Latin America practice African based religions much more than Black Americans, have greater African influence in music, art, food, and overall culture.

I’m not sure why whites declare themselves experts on cultures and people they know nothing about. I’ve never been to Greece for example and will not talk about agree due to insufficient actual knowledge.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Its more of lets make everyone the same in Latin America (or at least most families will have everything in society) while in the Anglosphere its more of lets keep everyone different and separate. You see it in the USA (in the past it was worse), in India, in Singapore, etc. The English kept the people living in different quarters and discouraged any type of racial mixture. Mixed folks were even seen wrongly as people that were confused and didn’t know how to identify unless there was a racial law that forced them somewhere. In some societies there simply was no room for a mixed folk while in others a special designation was created to include all types of mixed people and in some places even people that didn’t fit in the black-white dichotomy.

I get the impression that in the USA, which is most of the visitors in this forum, there is a desire to make everywhere the same, even when they do it very subtly. You see this a lot in forums where certain types of Americans tend to congregate, because you don’t see it in other English forums frequented by non-American English-speaking people.
You also have a movement from some white Latinos who someone falsify the history of the Americas. Mixing in North America and in South America often occurred as Black and Native women were raped. No one likes to be conquered or enslaved by any other group of people and you completely ignore that in order to prop up some nonsense about an utopian Latin world. Lastly you’re an US Latino, not someone dealing with the actual current issues in Latin America. You actually sound like someone e who had taken Latino studies from white American professors with limited knowledge and experience with Latin America.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
This is a tough call to make since the line between “black” and “Mulatto” is extremely blurred in the USA. Both genetically, socially and even phenotype-wise in a lot of cases.

Sources say that the average Black American is a quarter (25%) white - which is equivalent to one whole parent being a mulatto and one parent being full black. This means that black Americans are just as much a mulatto as they are a full black person. This blurs the line between black and Mulatto.

However, IF the black population in a given country was generally pure black and THEN we compared them with mulattoes THEN there is a clear distinction. But this is not the case with black Americans who have had their African ancestry significantly diluted down.

Heck, if you go into most Sub-Saharan African countries and you have 25% white ancestry then your instantly thrown into a mixed/colored/creole category separate from the pure-bread natives. You’ll probably stick out like a sore thumb too.

I believe that nowadays, American mulattoes deserve the right to identify as mixed-race if they wanted to...but with this being said, I believe that black Americans who either have heavy non-black ancestry and/or a mixed phenotype also have the right to identify as mixed (if they so chose to). They should also be able to identify as both if this accurately defines their experiences and how they navigate the world.

I think I promised myself that i’d stop discussing this topic back in 2010 but screw it lol
People in Latin America do not commonly call themselves mulattoes. Some US Latinos whose perception of Latin America is based on what white college professors told them might and do.

You just have a reason in why the distinction really cannot be made, as someone like Michelle Obama genetically May have as much European ancestry as someone with a white grandparent.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 AM

990 posts, read 881,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Most but not all I see their DNA results even the very wealthy important families most have a minor component of Amerindian they aren't just Portuguese the weird way you guys pronounce the R's in that part of the country is because many of the Bandeirantes had Native American mother's who couldn't pronounce the R's. I see this all the time Brazilians are in denial they have some Amerindian and African.
You guys portuguese deny your ‘’mouro’’ (northern African) and jewish admixture so the brazilian-portuguese are only continuing your millenary culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas