Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 07:05 PM

151 posts, read 133,106 times

Advertisements

It has always been my dream to live in a favela. The homes are so colorful and on hills with nice views. The people seem so laid-back.

How do you buy one? When I search Brazilian real estate websites for Rio de Janeiro, I only get super-luxury real estate or apartments priced similar to USA prices. Why is it so hard to find favela listings?

How much USD do they tend to cost? I’m sure favela homes in cities like Fortaleza, Salvador and Recife are cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 08:32 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
It has always been my dream to live in a favela. The homes are so colorful and on hills with nice views. The people seem so laid-back.

How do you buy one? When I search Brazilian real estate websites for Rio de Janeiro, I only get super-luxury real estate or apartments priced similar to USA prices. Why is it so hard to find favela listings?

How much USD do they tend to cost? I’m sure favela homes in cities like Fortaleza, Salvador and Recife are cheaper.
My understanding is they don't own the land and don't have right to the land. Everything is wired illegally (for any electricity), and they inhabit those lands illegally. No services either, no sewage services, etc.

You could probably try to squat with all the rest though....but you'd have to be hyper-vigilant of whatever belongings you have. The police doesn't go into them often unless to 'shoot it out' with drug dealers.

If you are just interested in colorful houses in the hills, maybe look at Baguio Philippines....or Busan Korea....they would be safer and legal ownership exists over the land.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:06 PM

321 posts, read 333,229 times
Favelas are dangerous, they can hunt you down at any given time.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:56 AM

6,030 posts, read 5,940,768 times
Illegally built houses and not the environment for an outsider to be living in usually. There are some where foreigners can indeed transverse usually with a guide but can do with a few mates. (I did so in 17, not exactly hostile, more indifferent but was regarded as a favela safe enough for foreigners to visit. Very interesting though)Others would pose a risk to live and limb, with gangs taken a dim view of 'strangers' tramping over 'their ground'. These places are often infested with crime and poverty. Hardly a chill out vibe welcoming all comers.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,923,290 times
I don’t know what is wrong with living in a nice and modern area while visiting the favelas during the day. Do you really need to live in a favela? Do you know the day-to-day lifestyle of the people that live in that type of place? Do you know of the security in those type of neighborhoods?

Some nice neighborhoods are so close to the favelas that you can actually see parts of them from the apartments.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:59 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,444,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Favelas are dangerous, they can hunt you down at any given time.
Don’t they do favela tours though?

Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 AM

990 posts, read 878,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post

Is possible buy / rent houses in favelas

as examples;

https://rj.olx.com.br/rio-de-janeiro...xtnp=1&xtcr=22

https://rj.olx.com.br/rio-de-janeiro...xtnp=1&xtcr=17

If you really want buy, get a real state attorney to help you, some areas in favelas are legalized and the owner has the right of sell his property.

Is not uncomum Foreigner living in Rio de Janeiro's favelas but they are people familiar with the city... they aren't just arrived.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3ABB&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...58&FORM=VDQVAP

Last edited by EVANGELISTTI; 06-24-2019 at 06:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas