Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 10:42 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times

Advertisements

Together, Arabic, Chinese, English, Spanish, and Hindi are the most spoken languages in the world. Someone who mastered 3 or 4 of these would be able to converse with, like, 80% of the world's population.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Indeed, these audios aren't that easy to fully understand to me.
out of curiosity, you were born and raised where? and for how long?

Old 09-26-2019, 11:13 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Together, Arabic, Chinese, English, Spanish, and Hindi are the most spoken languages in the world. Someone who mastered 3 or 4 of these would be able to converse with, like, 80% of the world's population.
All those languages are useful here in Canada except Spanish.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Indeed, these audios aren't that easy to fully understand to me.
A lot of native Spanish speakers can't understand every word of it due to poor audio quality, so I'm not sure it's that great a barometer in terms of a black or white measurement of whether someone is a native (or even competent) Spanish speaker.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,503 times
Quote:
out of curiosity, you were born and raised where? and for how long?
Born and raised in Argentina, son of Argentinian parents. I’ve lived all my life in Buenos Aires (in four different neighborhoods, though), and my username reveals the year of my birth.

Nothing really special about my life. I don’t know why I wouldn’t be believable as a native Spanish speaker, and I don’t think my English is that good. I started studying it seriously after secondary school, as the level of the English lessons was quite low at school.

What about you? American from a Hispanic American background? Neomexicano maybe?

Old 09-26-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I don’t know why I wouldn’t be believable as a native Spanish speaker, and I don’t think my English is that good.
Then I find it very suprising that you struggle to understand these clips. You seemed to be making a lot of odd excuses why you couldn't understand it: the "connectors are weird" (whatever that means); the language is "uneducated" (in which case it should be easier for you to understand); and then posting your weird interpretations of what is, essentially very easy for any spanish speaker to understand. All this indicates that you either: (a) don't understand spanish; or (b) are trying very hard to give the impression that you are "above the uneducated masses". If it's this latter one, it wouldn't be suprising coming from an Argentine, would it.

Quote:
I started studying it seriously after secondary school, as the level of the English lessons was quite low at school.
I think there's more to this than you are letting on. There is another user here who has a high level of English (joaocanal) but even so it is apparent that he is not a native speaker. But your writing is indistinguishable from a native speaker of English, so I think there's something you're not saying.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
A lot of native Spanish speakers can't understand every word of it due to poor audio quality,
Nothing wrong with the audio quality. Also, you are not a native speaker, so you aren't qualified to make this sort of statement even with crystal clear recordings.

Besides myself I only know a couple other users here who are native speakers of Spanish - joacanal and urbanluis. UrbanLuis has already said he didn't have any difficulty with the clips. If we can get joaocanal to chime in (and any others), it would help clarify the matter.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:14 PM

Sure there is, that's why some native speakers from Spanish speaking countries (like Mhc1985) have trouble understanding all of it.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Sure there is, that's why some native speakers from Spanish speaking countries (like Mhc1985) have trouble understanding all of it.
I'll wager that if I show these clips to 100 native speakers from different countries, 95%+ of them won't have any difficulty.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:45 PM

You'd probably lose that bet. Lots of native speakers don't understand all of it or find parts difficult, and most think it's poor audio quality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spanish/com...derstand_this/

Quote:
Besides myself I only know a couple other users here who are native speakers of Spanish - joacanal and urbanluis. UrbanLuis has already said he didn't have any difficulty with the clips. If we can get joaocanal to chime in (and any others), it would help clarify the matter.
Mhc1985 is a native speaker who's from Argentina, who had problems understanding some of those clips.

UrbanLuis said:
"I understood most of it. In the first clip she said 'nos fuimos nueve dias a juntar pinon(?) a la sierra... And then I couldn't make out the next word. What is pinon?"

I guess you could interpret not understanding all of it as not having any trouble, but I'd think someone having no difficulty/trouble with something would understand every word. If you played a tape to me in English and I could understand most (but not all) of it I sure wouldn't declare I had no trouble understanding it.

Again, open to interpretation.

Last edited by lieqiang; 09-26-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas