Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 02:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times

Advertisements

lol... you're just proving my point. UrbanLuis understood 95% of it.
I've got a couple friends coming over later. I'll play the clip for them and see what they say.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:09 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
That's an interesting take. UrbanLuis not being able to understand 5% of it proves your point that he had no difficulties understanding it? Heh heh.

There are plenty of other places with native Spanish speakers where I can post these clips to see if 95% of them have no difficulties at all, or if they agree with your assessment that there is no problem with the audio quality. Lots of Spanish speaking dischord servers, forums, etc. I'd wager the consensus will be same as that reddit thread I created, many have difficulties with parts of it and almost all say audio quality is gash, just like native speaker from Argentina Mhc1985. If you'd like I'd be happy to throw those clips out there and post the reaction back here.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
The audio quality is not the best I had to rewind a few small parts but for the most part it was understandable. Specially for a Native Spanish Speaker, they shouldn't have any problem understanding that. It might be an accent thing or certain vocabulary, but I don't know why some one wouldn't be able to understand most of it.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Exactly. Poor audio quality, accent, certain vocabulary, all things that can lead to the clips not being understood fully by a native speaker of Spanish. When someone can't understand something fully, they cannot be described as having no difficulties with it.

I'm sorry it's just odd that would claim those scratchy audio clips have have no problems with audio quality and that every native speaker would understand them fully when there are obvious examples to the contrary. A native speaker who grew up in Argentina couldn't understand it fully. Various native speakers on Reddit (Spain, Colombia, etc.) couldn't understand them fully. It makes no sense.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:00 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Born and raised in Argentina, son of Argentinian parents. I’ve lived all my life in Buenos Aires (in four different neighborhoods, though), and my username reveals the year of my birth.

Nothing really special about my life. I don’t know why I wouldn’t be believable as a native Spanish speaker, and I don’t think my English is that good. I started studying it seriously after secondary school, as the level of the English lessons was quite low at school.

What about you? American from a Hispanic American background? Neomexicano maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Then I find it very suprising that you struggle to understand these clips. You seemed to be making a lot of odd excuses why you couldn't understand it: the "connectors are weird" (whatever that means); the language is "uneducated" (in which case it should be easier for you to understand); and then posting your weird interpretations of what is, essentially very easy for any spanish speaker to understand. All this indicates that you either: (a) don't understand spanish; or (b) are trying very hard to give the impression that you are "above the uneducated masses". If it's this latter one, it wouldn't be suprising coming from an Argentine, would it.

I think there's more to this than you are letting on. There is another user here who has a high level of English (joaocanal) but even so it is apparent that he is not a native speaker. But your writing is indistinguishable from a native speaker of English, so I think there's something you're not saying.
Native English speaker here. Been exposed to Spanish my whole life (Southern California Chicano), but I don't consider myself native in the slightest (fooled plenty of teachers along the way though ). I haven't spoken Spanish even weekly in about 15 years (but did just about daily back in CA).

Mhc1985, your written English is more than fine. No indication that it's even necessarily a second language for you.

80skeys, is it possible that Mhc1985 isn't used to hearing Spanish anything like this as what they speak in Argentina sounds so different (imo some of them sound like Super Mario)? Everything that I could hear in those clips I could understand; aside from a bit of an accent (sounded kind of like an unusual bridging) she doesn't sound too different from Mexican old ladies in my family/old neighborhood in CA.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:07 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Count David, yeah I played it for a Colombian friend of mine at my house earlier today, they didn't have any problem with it.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:24 AM

I sent it to a Colombian friend, there were parts he didn't understand as well. Interestingly he guessed it was from Mexico, which was funny because one of the guys from Spain on Reddit who had troubles with it guessed it was from Colombia.

[17:04, 9/26/2019] Alberto: Es una señora de mexico, por su forma de habla es de bajos recursos y pobre. Habla un español de clase baja por las palabras que utiliza
[17:06, 9/26/2019] Alberto: Es la misma señora
[19:02, 9/26/2019] Alberto: Hay palabras que no entiendo

Old 09-27-2019, 07:41 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Then I find it very suprising that you struggle to understand these clips. You seemed to be making a lot of odd excuses why you couldn't understand it: the "connectors are weird" (whatever that means); the language is "uneducated" (in which case it should be easier for you to understand); and then posting your weird interpretations of what is, essentially very easy for any spanish speaker to understand. All this indicates that you either: (a) don't understand spanish; or (b) are trying very hard to give the impression that you are "above the uneducated masses". If it's this latter one, it wouldn't be suprising coming from an Argentine, would it.

I think there's more to this than you are letting on. There is another user here who has a high level of English (joaocanal) but even so it is apparent that he is not a native speaker. But your writing is indistinguishable from a native speaker of English, so I think there's something you're not saying.
Well, I think everything is going out of proportion. Ultimately, a lot of people also said the sound quality was poor, and secondarily that some words were either unintelligible or unknown for them. I agree with them. I didn’t say it was like hearing Mandarin Chinese, but that it was a bit difficult following her in some parts. As a native Spanish speaker, if I listen to a Spanish speaking person, my expectation is of a full (or near full) understanding of what it’s said, but my understanding of these audios didn’t fulfill this expectation.

On the other hand, I’m sorry you had to point out stereotypes regarding to my nationality, I think it was unnecessary. I never meant that the woman was uneducated because of her nationality/ethnic background. A person of little education may come from anywhere in the world, they frequently share some language traits, and the woman from the audio definitely has these traits. I can’t help but say that she has a hard time in expressing some simple ideas and connecting them in order to tell a tale. This issue definitely hardens the process of communication and it’s one of the fundamental concepts of why education is so important. If I struggle more than the average in understanding what she is saying, then that’s my fault.

Reality is, even though the Spanish language is rather tight-knit in terms of regional variation (compared to languages such as Arabic and German, for instance), it’s far from being homogeneous, and some misunderstandings between speakers from different places are bound to emerge, especially among vernacular forms.

I can’t believe all the fuss for a couple of trivial comments on some audios… what’s so important about them that after saying something that seems to contradict their poster’s not so essential thoughts on a language, I become an arrogant Argentine, an American in disguise, or a secret agent lying about his past. Social networks are strange.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
an American in disguise, or a secret agent lying about his past.
That struck me as odd too.

You were asked if you were a native speaker, and when you affirmed yes the immediate response was listing reasons why your response couldn't be the truth. It means it wasn't really a genuine question wanting to discover your answer, but rather a question trying to confront or box in where if the reply wasn't as hoped it was outright rejected.

I agree, social networks are indeed strange.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Let's take this thread away from the ugliness it's gotten into with the accusations etc. and back to Spanish.

Here are some dudes from DF talking about the different slang for work:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1aIyrOaRpxy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas