Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 11:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Of course they *should* learn English. But I'm just saying that the majority of the immigrants I've known have all gotten by without it. Even some of them, especially the ones in construction and landscaping, have made very good living even without learning much English.
But yeah, it's preferable to learn the local language.

As I mentioned above, this isn't true across the board. Construction pays very well. I know a couple guys who are independent landscapers here and they earn $150k/year in cash (under the table) . And they've been doing that for the past 20 years.
No one way the average undocumented immigrant not speaking English is making 150k in construction. Union construction people can do very well, but they are very legal.

The children of immigrants go to school in English and speak it very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,719,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one way the average undocumented immigrant not speaking English is making 150k in construction.
Oh yes it is true, believe me. The couple guys I know go to Los Altos Hills (a wealthy neighborhood here) every day (five to six days/week) and do landscaping for people's houses. Each house pays them on average $1.5k/month and each guy has got about 10 houses. Each guy spends the first half a day at one house, the second half of a day at another house. Doing this you rotate through your houses in about a week or a week-and-a-half, and then start over. So every month you're going to each house about 3-4 times. Cutting grass, trimming trees and bushes, tending gardens, etc.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 AM

983 posts, read 861,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
The Europeans are trying to unite to be relevant in the world because they know that they cannot contend in any serious way with the US & China. Africans are pushing more towards unity to have a better future for themselves. The Indians have a bright future if they keep going. I just wonder why a region which has less violent conflict between its members would not take serious the notion of unity. Of course countries are always different. However it seems that it is usually beneficial to unite so that your way of life can be bolstered. Otherwise Latin Americans will always have an incentive to go to America to find a good job and the whole American dream. Why not try to make the dream happen at home? At present there is no serious way that ~600 million Latinos of which there is no seriously dominant country can contend in the future. Wouldn't you want a space program? New inventions? Anything? That won't happen in many disparate countries, especially when you consider the global competition.
Well Brazil is integrated although the huge gap between north vs south, paulistas vs cariocas, gauchos vs baianos etc.
Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay are very integrated countries inside the Mercosur block that works similar Europe Union. People can move freely to live, work and study inside Mercosur countries also trading among the countries is very open and integrated and Mercosur negociate with another countries and commercial blocks as only one country.
We only don’t have a common money because Argentineans problems but the Brazilian currency is accepted in the others Mercosur members countries.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:49 PM

493 posts, read 748,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
. the median household income in Chile (year) is USD15.000.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-residence/

yeah, if you are at the very bottom in a rural area, yes. We payed our drivers about 1200usd a month. That's a driver. That's a single income, not a household income.Household income are higher than single income. You are still littering this forum in every post of yours.- I will however let you do that if it means your countrymen quits invading Chile. I must go back there in 2 months for work and I feel safer without the Colombians

Old 09-20-2019, 08:29 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,719,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
I must go back there in 2 months for work and I feel safer without the Colombians
You're afraid of Colombians? Lol.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:43 AM

9,296 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So I am an American and I think that we have it easy over here compared to the eastern hemisphere. Here is a question for the Latinos. Why has there not been a serious movement towards unification?

... why haven't people ever considered the notion of uniting to make a stronger union? If Europe is considering it with the European Union ...

Would you want a union with neighboring countries? What would be the hangovers?
To put it sarcastically, they can't even tie their own shoelaces without tripping over themselves individually every ten feet, and you want them to walk in unison?

A bit more seriously, as mentioned, there are mechanisms in place to facilitate mobility and trade, but no power group of any size surrenders sovereignty voluntarily except maybe for a guarantee of even greater power.

I don't see ruling classes in Latin America (too broad a term anyway) with the vision to even discuss such a thing, it's still too easy for them to generate cash flows from monopolies on public utilities (agricultural and commodity production, water, electricity, telecommunications, wholesale trade), on the one hand, and illicit businesses on the other (you fill in the blanks).

Buena Suerte!

Old 09-20-2019, 03:26 PM

867 posts, read 899,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-residence/

yeah, if you are at the very bottom in a rural area, yes. We payed our drivers about 1200usd a month. That's a driver. That's a single income, not a household income.Household income are higher than single income.

I couldn't see the data on that link because you need a "premium account" to do it.

sorry, no, my Third World Chilean friend, the single income for a Chilean is still quite low; 50% of workers earn less than CLP 400 000 or 600 USD (month); and 7 out of 10 workers earn less than CLP 550 000 or USD 767. Income in a First World like the USA country is exponentially higher than in third world countries like Chile or Mexico.

Source: https://www.pagina7.cl/notas/actuali...damiento.shtml

Quote:
I must go back there in 2 months for work and I feel safer without the Colombians
Speaking of that, a recent statistic figure on that was published on the subject, the crime rate in Chile for different groups, and it turned out that Chileans have a higher crime rate than immigrants of any nationality:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chile/comme..._delictual_en/

So, it's slightly more likely than a Chilean would commit a crime in his/her own country than a Colombian, Peruvian or Bolivian.

don't you get tired of being proven wrong and mocked wifh facts over and over and over?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:32 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
If language was the basis of economic success Latin American countries would be affluent
And they are - for the chosen few

Old 09-20-2019, 08:32 PM

493 posts, read 748,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
I couldn't see the data on that link because you need a "premium account" to do it.

sorry, no, my Third World Chilean friend, the single income for a Chilean is still quite low; 50% of workers earn less than CLP 400 000 or 600 USD (month); and 7 out of 10 workers earn less than CLP 550 000 or USD 767. Income in a First World like the USA country is exponentially higher than in third world countries like Chile or Mexico.

Source: https://www.pagina7.cl/notas/actuali...damiento.shtml

Speaking of that, a recent statistic figure on that was published on the subject, the crime rate in Chile for different groups, and it turned out that Chileans have a higher crime rate than immigrants of any nationality:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chile/comme..._delictual_en/

So, it's slightly more likely than a Chilean would commit a crime in his/her own country than a Colombian, Peruvian or Bolivian.

don't you get tired of being proven wrong and mocked wifh facts over and over and over?
90% of the population is Chilean, I just checked. It would be very strange if Colombians, who are way too many in Chile, would out-crime the majority. That'd take serious effort to accomplish, even more so than what Colombians are known for.

I corrected the fact that you equalled a single income to a household income. You still confuse yourself with the definitions "household income" and "single income". Colombia PISA eh.

That fact that you climbed the wall to get into a white, european country such as the U.S is funny/ironic considering how you subsequently like to bash white european culture and achievements here in this forum.

Lastly, I would not call me a third world Chilean if I were you. My income is, well... I can't complain. And call me Chilean, I care not.

You write more colloquially than anyone here in the forum, which also funny and ironic considering you are leechi... I mean living in the States and I am not. English is not even my third language and already I outperform you grammatically. Sheesh... -owned.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:43 AM

1,545 posts, read 3,000,122 times
And all of the previous comments clearly indicate why Latin America will never unify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas