Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:32 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Yet when I tell this to people in Colombia thinking of overstaying their their US tourist visas, they just look at me with a blank stare as if they´d never heard this before and that I must not know what I´m talking about.

If I were them, I´d rather land a good-paying job in Chile, México, Panamá or Uruguay than live in the shadows and be exploited in the workforce.

Just my two cents though.
Exactly. Chile is pretty stable, and moving there from anywhere else in Latin America is a huge upgrade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 10:21 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Horrible idea

Old 09-21-2019, 10:44 AM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
90% of the population is Chilean, I just checked. It would be very strange if Colombians, who are way too many in Chile, would out-crime the majority. That'd take serious effort to accomplish, even more so than what Colombians are known for.

I corrected the fact that you equalled a single income to a household income. You still confuse yourself with the definitions "household income" and "single income". Colombia PISA eh.

That fact that you climbed the wall to get into a white, european country such as the U.S is funny/ironic considering how you subsequently like to bash white european culture and achievements here in this forum.

Lastly, I would not call me a third world Chilean if I were you. My income is, well... I can't complain. And call me Chilean, I care not.

You write more colloquially than anyone here in the forum, which also funny and ironic considering you are leechi... I mean living in the States and I am not. English is not even my third language and already I outperform you grammatically. Sheesh... -owned.

I have never lived in the USA or any Anglophone country, I live in Colombia. But you mock other people's English skills, yet you can't grasp such a basic concept as "crime rate". A school kid understand this better than you. It's a proportion, it's the same for all groups regardless of its size. The crime rate for Chileans in Chile according to the graph is 40 per every 1000 people.

I didn't equal single income and household income. I said the household income in Chile is USD 15 000 / year. Then you mentioned single income, and I came up with these figures. The median single income in Chile is 527 USD month (source). Which would be near 7000 USD year. Households usually have 2 people making an income, so, both figures are consistent.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:55 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
I just find it funny that MrPilot is afraid to live around Colombians.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:53 PM

491 posts, read 753,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
I have never lived in the USA or any Anglophone country, I live in Colombia. But you mock other people's English skills, yet you can't grasp such a basic concept as "crime rate". A school kid understand this better than you. It's a proportion, it's the same for all groups regardless of its size. The crime rate for Chileans in Chile according to the graph is 40 per every 1000 people.

I didn't equal single income and household income. I said the household income in Chile is USD 15 000 / year. Then you mentioned single income, and I came up with these figures. The median single income in Chile is 527 USD month (source). Which would be near 7000 USD year. Households usually have 2 people making an income, so, both figures are consistent.
moronic idiot, rate isn't a function; it's change over time. I use the word "rate" most days: Rate Of Climb, Rate of closure, rate of turn, etc etc- You are equally lost in regards to HDI scale being exponential. You've been proven a moron in every post. You are a disgrace to your country in a bigger way than the bad smelling- disease-infested criminal colombian immigrants.

Crime rate can be measured in thousands ways, from linear to functions of power. It depends what you want to explain. Chile was the most safe country in south america until you colombians found the way there. Stay the **** away from Uruguay and Argentina.

The MINIMUM wage in the country is almost 500 dollars(301k). You need to update your information. OR don't update it and tell your fellow colombians not to opt for Chile. Tell them Chileans have had enough of them.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:08 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I just find it funny that MrPilot is afraid to live around Colombians.
LOl I wish there were more Colombians here. It would be nice to have Colombian food more often. I know a Colombian family recently purchased a bakery here where I live. Hopefully they will start making Colombian goodies soon. I wish there was a Mexican bakery too.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:13 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
moronic idiot, rate isn't a function; it's change over time. I use the word "rate" most days: Rate Of Climb, Rate of closure, rate of turn, etc etc- You are equally lost in regards to HDI scale being exponential. You've been proven a moron in every post. You are a disgrace to your country in a bigger way than the bad smelling- disease-infested criminal colombian immigrants.

Crime rate can be measured in thousands ways, from linear to functions of power. It depends what you want to explain. Chile was the most safe country in south america until you colombians found the way there. Stay the **** away from Uruguay and Argentina.

The MINIMUM wage in the country is almost 500 dollars(301k). You need to update your information. OR don't update it and tell your fellow colombians not to opt for Chile. Tell them Chileans have had enough of them.
For having made such a multi-cultural and multi-racial society thanks to immigration once upon a time, the xenophobia today in most of Latin America is kind of mind-blowing. This could easily be Mexicans talking about Central Americans, Chileans talking about Peruvians, Colombians talking about Venezuelans, etc. I just don´t get it.

Last edited by aab7855; 09-21-2019 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Colombia and Venezuela, not very similar countries, actually;
And it´s very easy to think this from your point of view there in Bogotá, but if you suddenly found yourself in the USA, Spain, Canada, UK, etc. you´d see how people from these two countries often hang together. The homesickness you´d feel, even if only for a few moments, would be alleviated by finding even more people who eat arepas, meeting even more women who have a similar caliber of head-turning beauty...let´s not forget the 40+ years of massive immigration between these two countries. They´re more similar than you´re able to realize for now. The differences are apparent in the two respective countries, but they melt away abroad.

Quote:
both are pretty diverse and have many subregions. But yes, both are natural economic partners. Which is why we in Colombia need a change of goverment in Venezuela so urgently. They are the natural destinations for our exports, and we could buy them gas and other things. Colombia-Venezuela border is very long and it can be very dynamic and active.
Sure, economically we all hope for better days ahead. The border between the two is massive, and compared to Colombia´s other borders, it contains far, far more population and movement. There may be a diversity of regions, but think about the Llanos...that´s almost a country within itself, whether or not you´re on the Colombian or Venezuelan side they have the same unique culture. Many semi-nomadic indigenous groups in La Guajira migrate seamlessly between Venezuela and Colombia...there´s just more in common between the two than any other country. Ecuadorian influence only extends into Nariño and Putumayo, and Perú and Brazil´s borders with Colombia are so isolated and underpopulated that the commonalities hardly make a dent.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:13 PM

321 posts, read 334,035 times
Colombia doesn't have anything to do with Venezuelans. Get your facts straight.

Llanos Orientales on the Colombian side are mostly populated by the descendants of Santandereanos and Cundiboyacenses. Culture there has nothing to do with the culture found in Venezuela's Eastern Plains.

People from Villavicencio share a lot of cultural traits with neighbouring Bogota I reckon.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Colombia doesn't have anything to do with Venezuelans. Get your facts straight.
Facts are there...and they´re straight. Millions of Colombians lived in Venezuela for decades, often intermarrying and producing a hybrid culture. This is sure to continue with the millions of folks who´ve gone the other way this time around. Plenty of "Venezuelans" here are just returnees with Colombian blood anyway.

Quote:
Llanos Orientales on the Colombian side are mostly populated by the descendants of Santandereanos and Cundiboyacenses. Culture there has nothing to do with the culture found in Venezuela's Eastern Plains.
Ummm....cowboys? Música llanera? Asado? Ganadero? Nothing in common eh? Oops, sorry, you´ll only find cachapas on the Venezuelan side. Oh wait, those are basically larger arepas boyacenses eaten like a taco.

Quote:
People from Villavicencio share a lot of cultural traits with neighbouring Bogota I reckon.
Bogotá is cosmopolitan and sophisticated. Villao? Forget it.

I know people are going to be bothered at attemps to point out similarities...some people in Pereira throw fits for even being called Paisas, "...that´s Antioquia!" they say. There´s no way someone from another part of Colombia could tell the difference in accents, customs and physical appearences between inhabitants of those two cities.

People get too offended about things I think. Maybe I have a different world view than others...when I meet Mexicans in other countries I call them "brother" and "neighbor"...plenty of Americans and Mexicans probably don´t go for that, but I don´t care. We have so much in common with each other. Borders and migration do that. Finding unity over division and commonality over dissimilarity is worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas