Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times

Advertisements

Eight American tourists have been killed within a short period of time, in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic.

https://abc7ny.com/nj-man-is-8th-tou...yEHuNRITSrPULs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Eight American tourists have been killed within a short period of time, in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic.

I wonder if that guy is a Sosua YouTuber, or at the mimimum, might be personally known by some who are. The Sosua expat community is very active online. If anyone views YouTube, let's see if we can post some videos where they might talk about him.

One thing though, looking at him, he doesn't look healthy. NJ weather to DR weather; and being overweight, and 55-years-old is easily in the heart attack threshholds. I mean, there could be foulplay, but this could go almost any direction.

I'd definitely want to get more information, for sure. Daytime and feeling over-heated at a pool and wanting to go up and get some rest; is MUCH different than what some other Sosua expats/tourists might be doing to put themselves at potential risk.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
This newspaper says it has been the 12th American...

https://www.theepochtimes.com/12th-a...c_2967000.html

Old 06-18-2019, 11:12 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
The rumor behind this guy is that he did something to himself to die like that. Its still a low numbers of any foreign nationalities that got injured or have died in that country. Like I said in another thread (which I think has been moved to The Americas Forum), from January to April of this year that country has received over 2.4 million tourists and they can’t find a sizable numbers of Americans even injured during that same time period. There should be thousands and they simply aren’t. 1% of 2.4 million is some 24,000 and we are talking of less than 10 people in 5 or 6 months, half of a year. Then we also take other matters into account, such as that’s one of the few islands in the Caribbean that isn’t dominated by American tourists because it receives a sizable number from Europe snd Latin America.

Also, Sosua’s expat community isn’t very active online. There are so many foreigners living in that town (it’s really in the suburban parts of that town) that if most were active they would need many forums and the current forums would be much bigger. Most expats in Sosua are Germans, but many other Europeans and North Americans can be found there. Certain nationalities tend to concentrate in many hotels and residential areas.

Sosua attracts two types of tourists, on one side its a family center, but some parts of town get very seedy at night. Its not really an resort destination like Puerto Plata or Punta Cana is. You would be hard pressed to find a respectable Dominican during the wee hours in that town. Puerto Plata and Cabarete, yes. Sosua is mostly a drive through town for respectable people.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:39 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
A common theme with a lot of these deaths have been "after having a drink at the bar", there have been a number of stories in recent months where Americans were drugged after drinking at the resort bars in Mexico for the purposes of robbing and some cases raping them. Make me wonder if someone is attempting to do the same in Dominican Republic, but using dangerous dosages of some drug. The Dominican Republic is trying to say that many of the people who died had preexisting conditions, but in the case of Edward Nathaniel Holmes and Cynthia Day, it's statically unlikely they died the same day from, preexisting conditions. While it's true that 10 deaths over the last 6 months, for a country that had 6 million tourist last year, isn't the cause for alarm, the way they dies over a relatively short period of time is.

Lets look at this another way, the USDA recently recalled 62,112 pounds of beef due to possible E.coli contamination. There have been no reported adverse reactions due to consumption of these products, but random sample testing indicted there may be. This recall will cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars, for a product that no one got sick from, let alone died.

Then you have a Foreign Government telling you these ten deaths are nothing to be concerned about, it's perfectly safe to continue to travel to the Dominican Republic. So I ask you, are you willing to continue to eat a product that may or may not be contaminated with E. coli? It's probably perfectly safe. Go on eat up. If you ignore the USDA recall, then I say its OK to trust the Dominican Republic government too.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM

It isn’t something for alarm because these low numbers have always existed in this and most other islands. We do have the media focusing on it well into the sixth month of only one year and one island.

The media will calm down, these low numbers are going to continue to happen, and the DR I think will continue to lead the Caribbean in tourism until Cuba takes over (whenever that will happen now that Trump has reversed Obama’s policies.) Most of the news that is said in the USA about Mexico have decades and that is still the number one international destinations for Americans.

Prices have not gone down as of yet for a package in these resorts, so I guess the media is not having the effect. If anything, packages continue the increase of their packages (which is another issue.)

Old 06-18-2019, 03:27 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
It isn’t something for alarm because these low numbers have always existed in this and most other islands. We do have the media focusing on it well into the sixth month of only one year and one island.

The media will calm down, these low numbers are going to continue to happen, and the DR I think will continue to lead the Caribbean in tourism until Cuba takes over (whenever that will happen now that Trump has reversed Obama’s policies.) Most of the news that is said in the USA about Mexico have decades and that is still the number one international destinations for Americans.

Prices have not gone down as of yet for a package in these resorts, so I guess the media is not having the effect. If anything, packages continue the increase of their packages (which is another issue.)
How many vacationing Americans typically die each year in Dominican Republic?

Old 06-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
How many vacationing Americans typically die each year in Dominican Republic?
According to the US government...

Historic in the DR

Other Destinations

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tatistics.html

Keep in mind that from January to April of this year the country has received over 2.4 million tourists.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-18-2019 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
Quote:

According to ABC, World News, of New York, of 6/18/1920, it is up to 10 American tourists now, that have been killed in the Dominican Republic.

I will give you my rendition of who or whom are doing these killings:

1. An employee of the Hotel where most of them are happening, who has issues with Management.

2. A Serial Killer, who has gone unnoticed for myriad of years, and wants recognition, that is why he only chooses American Citizens, or have lived in the USA, and have had issues that he feels are unjustified, with Americans.

3. According to ABC, World News, of New York, the victim of this week, had a drink that was in the room, for his enjoyment. So there appears to be a connection with Room Service. It could be a waiter, a restaurant employee, housekeeping employee, or an outsider, with no ties to the Hotel where it is happening.

4. It could also be a prostitute male or female. These are very much prevalent in the hotel industry, in all hotels, world-wide. Perhaps someone that had been sexually abused, male or female, as a child, and it is now, "Pay-Time."

5. It could be someone posing as a friend of the victims, who have come to rob them, since they know that most Americans have money, in cash and credit cards, and kills them to silence them.

I have a few other assumptions, but I will hold off, for now. The Punta Cana Police Headquarters have been very-tight-lipped, about the killings, even with the families of the deceased, and have given them zero details even though many of the killings have happened to people in their own rooms.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times
Quote:
I have a few other assumptions, but I will hold off, for now. The Punta Cana Police Headquarters have been very-tight-lipped, about the killings, even with the families of the deceased, and have given them zero details even though many of the killings have happened to people in their own rooms.
I don't know. Killings seems to imply someone purposefully killed these people. I thought the cause of most of these deaths were either undetermined or natural causes. It just sounds like sensationalism and fear mongering to call them killings at this point. Regardless, it seems too soon to say that. Also, as AntonioR pointed out, United States tourists die every year in the Dominican Republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas