Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 07:26 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
In terms of numbers, DR has the largest US population the Caribbean (besides US territories).
250,000 Americans live in DR.

What proportion of that is black americans, thats not easy to tell, but there has been an increase in the last 10 years or so. So big everybody has noticed.

Do not take it from me, take it from the ambassador her self.

"Safety and security are important concerns for both our nations and crucial components to stimulating trade, tourism and investment. I have a big family to look after – from the 2.7 million American tourists who visit the country, the over 250,000 Americans that live in the D.R., to our Embassy family – safety and security is our top priority."

https://do.usembassy.gov/ambassador-...ican-republic/
A good chunk of the 250,000 Americans in the DR are Dominicans that naturalized as Americans, Dominican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Dominican-Puerto Ricans. Americans in the traditional sense (white and black Americans) hovers around the 25,000 people, last time I checked. It's a lot of people, but it isn't 250,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
A good chunk of the 250,000 Americans in the DR are Dominicans that naturalized as Americans, Dominican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Dominican-Puerto Ricans. Americans in the traditional sense (white and black Americans) hovers around the 25,000 people, last time I checked. It's a lot of people, but it isn't 250,000 people.
Yeah, people need to read between the lines on a lot of those stats. Any large, multi-generational immigrant community in the US is going to cause a lot of back and forth and spawn returnee communities, which make the numbers harder to interpret.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That makes sense. Obviously not many Black or White Americans have sufficient Spanish language skills, so the numbers are simply smaller. You'd have more Dominican Americans moving to the Dominican Republic for not just language issues, but their families are from there.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:26 PM

125 posts, read 93,458 times
I don't see the relation between the amount of local blacks and Afro-American. I remember watching a lot of Afroamericanos and Pr that were invited to a communist act in Cuba, they all stuck out as a sore thumb, even more that some guests from former DDR.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manganopicolin View Post
I don't see the relation between the amount of local blacks and Afro-American. I remember watching a lot of Afroamericanos and Pr that were invited to a communist act in Cuba, they all stuck out as a sore thumb, even more that some guests from former DDR.
Stop trolling.

Where are you actually from, and where do you live?

Old 12-15-2019, 05:24 PM

125 posts, read 93,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
English speaking blacks are treated differently in Latin America from the local blacks. I learned that its best to let people know upfront that my native language is English. I can cite experiences in Brazil, PR and Venezuela. Others have said the same about Colombia, even a city like Cartagena where local blacks aren't unusual.

The reality these days is that only ignorant people display blatant racism. Most like to be welcoming to foreigners. The institutional racism and implicit bias is more relevant to darker Colombians of African descent than it will be to a tourist. The logic is that if you can afford a vacation in a decent hotel you aren't poor.

AA are never confused with local blacks. Tney are foreign currency carriers with a tan.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:25 AM

264 posts, read 136,644 times
Quote:
AA are never confused with local blacks. Tney are foreign currency carriers with a tan.
true, gringos in the end.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:14 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:

Yes I began to understand what "honorary white" status means. For this reason, even though well treated I am not going to view this as evidence of what local blacks go through.

In fact I was told exactly that by black Brazilians, who wanted to ensure that I knew what they under go and that spaces where I was allowed in aren't necessarily accessible to them without scrutiny.

This is why I suggest to any black person visiting Latin America entering middle class spaces to speak English first, even if their Spanish/Portuguese is fluent.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:15 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
true, gringos in the end.

and they are gringos who happen to be black, just as an Afro Cuba is a black person who is a Cuban.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
I think you might be wrong. 10% or less of the total population is black or have African ancestry, not 30%. Large cities like Bogota, Medellin, Barranquilla or Bucaramanga are mostly populated by white/mestizo populations and those who are black are mostly mixed to varying degrees. Colombia is a racist country.

African Americans would definitely stand out because they are almost fully of African ancestry and because of their customs. Though the Pacific Coast has large populations of African descendants.
Colombians aren’t that racist towards blacks, race isn’t much of a problem in Colombia and other latin american countries in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas