Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2019, 11:57 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,463,665 times

Advertisements

I want to go on vacation to the Dominican Republic one day and would like to donate clothes.

Does anyone know of a place in Puerto Plata or Punta Cuna (I’m probably pushing more towards Puerto Plata) where I could give clothes and other items to those in need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 03:23 AM

10,335 posts, read 15,204,042 times
Is this a real post or part of the DR-PR rivalry that is created by some people?

This post leaves me wondering.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/20128515-post58.html

Old 11-03-2019, 07:28 AM

4,951 posts, read 3,102,122 times
https://www.salvationarmy.org/ihq/americas
If you are in fact serious, the above organization would be a much better option than resorts.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:10 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,049,927 times
I´m sure if you go to a church in Puerto Plata they´ll happily take what you have and give it to the less fortunate. I think you´d be better there than going to Punta Cana.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Is this a real post or part of the DR-PR rivalry that is created by some people?

This post leaves me wondering.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/20128515-post58.html
Perhaps you can clarify.

That post had to do with the fact that I was comparing how Puerto Ricans were treated compared to Italians and the Irish. It had nothing to do PR/DR rivalry.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
https://www.salvationarmy.org/ihq/americas
If you are in fact serious, the above organization would be a much better option than resorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I´m sure if you go to a church in Puerto Plata they´ll happily take what you have and give it to the less fortunate. I think you´d be better there than going to Punta Cana.
But anyway I am serious and thanks for the replies. I think going to a church would be a good option as a day trip if I do stay in Puerto Plata.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:59 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,032,068 times
Why not donate the “money” that it’s going to cost you to go to a “resort” to the poor? If you truly want to make a little difference, rather than donating your cast offs to assuage your guilt of passing by all of the poor while on your way to spending time in paradise?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:14 AM

10,335 posts, read 15,204,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Perhaps you can clarify.

That post had to do with the fact that I was comparing how Puerto Ricans were treated compared to Italians and the Irish. It had nothing to do PR/DR rivalry.
Considering that all the threads that could be considered negative in some way about the DR have been created by some people connected to PR, Haiti or some islands from the English Caribbean (ironically the traditional places where some people have some sort of rivalry with the DR and are very vocal about it - there is a small vocal minority of African Americans that seem obsessed with the people in a criticizing way, but generally Americans could care less and they don't represent the AA community in the majority), a person is left wondering what it could be when one more thread about the DR is created by someone connected to at least one of those places. There are other types of humans here and these threads are created by these type of people already mentioned. Something is up. Now, it could be a legitimate thread, but a person has to wonder.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Considering that all the threads that could be considered negative in some way about the DR have been created by some people connected to PR, Haiti or some islands from the English Caribbean (ironically the traditional places where some people have some sort of rivalry with the DR and are very vocal about it - there is a small vocal minority of African Americans that seem obsessed with the people in a criticizing way, but generally Americans could care less and they don't represent the AA community in the majority), a person is left wondering what it could be when one more thread about the DR is created by someone connected to at least one of those places. There are other types of humans here and these threads are created by these type of people already mentioned. Something is up. Now, it could be a legitimate thread, but a person has to wonder.
I don’t have anything against Dominicans. The only post I made here that may be considered negative against Dominicans was when I jokingly saying Puerto Ricans should build a wall along the Mona Passage but that was in response to some Dominicans, I mention SOME Dominicans, wanting to build a border along the border.

At the end of the day, we are all Caribbean, whether Puerto Rican, Cuban, or Dominican.

There are differences but we have more similarities, including language, food, and even religion.

Scandinavians may have differences in their cultures, including even different languages.

But they are still “Scandinavians”, in the same way “Caribbean Hispanics” are, to me, still “Caribbean Hispanics.”

Old 11-11-2019, 12:02 PM

8,573 posts, read 8,582,935 times
Quote:
Who are the English speaking Caribbean people who start threads about the DR. In most parts of the English speaking Caribbean they are more obsessed about why Dominicans are swarming their islands. Ironically they see Domicanos the same way that you guys see Haitians. They also find black looking Dominicans having melt downs if someone calls them black to be quite hilarious.

English speaking Caribbean people comment when you go on your usual tirades denying that racism is rampant in the DR.

https://peopleenespanol.com/chica/mi...-about-racism/

And now that darker Dominicans are becoming more vocal there is more of this to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas