Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 06:48 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Indigenous people and blacks from Latin America are called "Latin".

So you should understand.
This is a good point, though.

A black person from Latin America is indisputable a Latin American, but a black person from Anglo America can´t be considered an Anglo American, but an African American.

Of course it has to do with how messed up the term ‘America’ is in the English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 05:44 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
American, period. There is no place called Anglo-America like there is Latin America. So it’s different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
This is a good point, though.

A black person from Latin America is indisputable a Latin American, but a black person from Anglo America can´t be considered an Anglo American, but an African American.

Of course it has to do with how messed up the term ‘America’ is in the English language.
Well there is nowhere called “Anglo America” so that’s the main reason.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:16 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
American, period. There is no place called Anglo-America like there is Latin America. So it’s different.

Well there is nowhere called “Anglo America” so that’s the main reason.
Anglo-America

22 different countries are part of "Anglo-America".

Old 12-20-2020, 08:06 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
How ignorant of a statement and question but I will surely engage you. A lot, and I dare say anything close to most of my fellow Louisianians can trace their heritage to a French ancestor but not "many, if not most". You dont even take into account the demographics of Louisiana bred black folks. And its truly sad that you try and speak with some sort of authority, cause you sound silly. Northern Louisianas population is mostly what we call in Louisiana "Southern" in nature. The white and black folks in that region are far less likely to be descended from anyone of French heritage. The French that were directed by Napolean to occupy Louisiana did so in the Southeastern part of the state where the ports were. Shreveport is not Cajun or Creole. Kent wood and Amite neither. Thats just one example of how absurd your assertation is by blanketly stating "many, if not most" of us can trace our lineages back to a french ancestor. The people up in North LA's ancestors came from neighboring states and were mostly part of the Early VA ADOS. Get your facts straight. And of course, africans, french, italian (which is what the ancestry on most white people where im from in New Orleans; but hey you knew that already ha?), and any remaining Spanish descended people all mixed. Thats the gumbo of Louisiana Creole culture specifically Southeast LA (NOLA) culture. And the Cajuns kept to themselves for the most part. They didnt even like mixing with europeans but eventually did when the territory was brought under US rule. Please miss me with the ad homenim....you probably are one of the people that believe only lightskin people are Creole and that they all lived in the 7th ward. Dont roll ya eyes too hard cher.....im more than happy to debate you on this. And just a little bit more info, no matter what part of Luoisiana you are in, we are not all Catholic

@Bold

I have some lineage to North LA (Bossier Parish) and I can attest that is true at least for me. A branch of my ancestors from there had parents who migrated from Missouri, Mississippi, and SC/NC post-Civil War. In the 1880 census, they were all designated as mulatto(not necessarily an indication of LA Creole heritage but I believe it lies at the root that created this misconception in my family as such while growing up). Among my African-American cousin matches, I have found one cousin whose surname is French and score a sizable percentage of French ancestry and above average Native American percentage. She has ancestry in Louisiana, but I haven't been able to confirm whether it's from the north or south.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 12-20-2020 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-20-2020, 08:36 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Most Americans in the USA speak English and have an Anglo culture. That includes people of all races in America that are native to this country. While ethnicity says black people are absolutely not Anglo, by culture they clearly are. The only people who are not Anglo in the US are Hispanics. American Hispanics retain enough of their Spanish language and cultural traits that they have not been anglicized. Of course with each generation even they adopt more Anglo traits. Hispanics however are here in large enough numbers and have a very deep enough history here that the US will always be a partly Hispanic country. Black Americans however are solidly in the Anglo camp like it or not.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:05 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Black Americans however are solidly in the Anglo camp like it or not.
Where, however, is it relevant? A similarity that is never accepted as a similarity is not a similarity.

The only time a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant is going to acknowledge that black Americans are Anglo-Americans is when there are no Latinos or Asians in the room.

It's a useless distinction to black Americans.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:13 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Where, however, is it relevant? A similarity that is never accepted as a similarity is not a similarity.

The only time a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant is going to acknowledge that black Americans are Anglo-Americans is when there are no Latinos or Asians in the room.

It's a useless distinction to black Americans.
Whether it’s a useless distinction to them or not is irrelevant. People who speak English, indulge in general American culture are anglicized people. Some white people and some black people may not like that fact but after 400 years in America the black people who live here are indeed part of American Anglo culture.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:00 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A similarity that is never accepted as a similarity is not a similarity.
A similarity that is never accepted as a similarity is simply that, a similarity that is never accepted. It doesn't negates the existence and reality of the similarity though.

Its like some of those people that "change sex." A person can change their name, take hormones, dress as the opposite sex, etc all they want. The moment they take a DNA test and have it analyzed, that Y-chromosome that you have since the day you were born is still there. In fact, without the Y-chromosome you simply die, become extinct, finished, nada, zippo. The whole world can call a man a woman and treat it like one, but that Y-chromosome will be there until they die and that is that. What's wromg with simply saying they are a man that wishes to be a woman? That's basically what they are (and to a lesser extent vice versa).

African Americans in general are Anglo-Americans. Whether they or anyone else wants to acknowledge that is irrelevant, IMO.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:44 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
"Amglo" is a prefix that means "English" and can be used to mean English as a country or English as a language. An Anglo-American, in this sense, means an Englist-speaking person in the Americas. Latin American means an American (North or South) who spesks a language evolved directly from Latin -- typically Spanish or Portuguese.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:04 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Whether it’s a useless distinction to them or not is irrelevant.

What you just said was nonsensical. It is the useless distinction that is irrelevant, by definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas