Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 04:25 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
So you were talking specifically about pasteles. I see. Yeah most food is a hybrid now anyways. Tamalaes are considered a very Native food in Guatemala but they also put olives and capers in them. LOL

I find it interesting there are still traces of Taino culture on the islands. I recently saw a video posted by a Puerto Rican guy talking about Taino language and how it was lost, but there was still words in use like you mentioned that have Taino origin. ALso this guy was talking about learning Arawak languages and how Taino language died out but there are still closely related languages around. One example he used was Garifuna language. I never really thought of it as a Native language but it indeed is classified as an Arawak language. It is sad they it is gone from the Islands but it is spoken in my home country, I thought that was really cool. I have heard people refer to it as an African language but that is not true, it is a Native language.
Pasteles are eaten in Trinidad but they considered Amerindian in origin, at least predominantly. Plantain is not the main ingredient but cornmeal or cassava. Olives and capers are also used. There is also a somewhat similar sweet type called paime. So never thought of pasteles as being solely Puerto Rican. Perhaps Trinidad’s is closer to the tamales or hallacas. Not sure.

Yes. The Garifuna language is largely Amerindian in origin, with both Arawak and Kalinago contribution. When the Caribs/Black Caribs (Kalinago) largely left St Vincent, the language went with them. The minority left on the island was unable to maintain it over the years. My grandfather was a Black Carib from St Vincent. I’ve always wanted to get over to the Central America to see more of my “distant cousins.”

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-28-2021 at 04:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 947 times
You should try Arroz Caldoso... Even it has English Recipes

Last edited by johnwish; 04-29-2022 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: i designed again

Old 04-29-2022, 08:49 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwish View Post
You should try Arroz Caldoso... Even it has English Recipes
In the Spanish Caribbean this is known as "Asopao." Sometimes it includes land animal meat in leiu of seafood. The reason for this change is historical.

"Arroz Caldoso" was invented on the Meditteranean coast of Spain and naturally included seafood, but when the Spaniards settled the Spanish Caribbean the nucleus of the population was inland and rural. In Spanish Caribbean islands from sea they appeared as almost with no population and virgin territory due to this reason. Before refigeration and modern transport it was impossible to take seafood from the sea and transported much beyond the coast without having the seafood spoil and go bad. The natural heat of the tropics speed up the spoiling. Didn't have that problem with domesticated land animals since they were eaten rather fresh since the meat didn't had to be taken over long distances. Other than the change of seafood for meat, nothing else is different from the "Arroz Caldoso."

Like many plates that originated in Spain and were introduced in the Americas by the Spaniards, "Asopao" has to be eating while hot to warm. If you ever wonder why it's eaten so hot in the tropics, now you know why. Something similar happens with "Sancocho" which has several varieties throughout Latin America, but few know that actually cones from Spain too. Some people literally begin to take their clothes off while eating a "Sancocho," guess why...

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-29-2022 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-03-2022, 06:05 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Pasteles are eaten in Trinidad but they considered Amerindian in origin, at least predominantly. Plantain is not the main ingredient but cornmeal or cassava. Olives and capers are also used. There is also a somewhat similar sweet type called paime. So never thought of pasteles as being solely Puerto Rican. Perhaps Trinidad’s is closer to the tamales or hallacas. Not sure.

Yes. The Garifuna language is largely Amerindian in origin, with both Arawak and Kalinago contribution. When the Caribs/Black Caribs (Kalinago) largely left St Vincent, the language went with them. The minority left on the island was unable to maintain it over the years. My grandfather was a Black Carib from St Vincent. I’ve always wanted to get over to the Central America to see more of my “distant cousins.”
Hallacas see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallaca

https://www.google.com/search?q=hall...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 08-21-2022, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 16,248 times
Mexico by a mile

Old 08-21-2022, 08:20 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
American Chris Pratt tasting for the first time dulce de leche, arroz con leche and other things. He tries the Argentinean version, but he seem to not be aware that these things exist in every Spanish speaking country in the world. The reason is simple, the original dulce de leche and arroz con leche was created in Spain and the Spaniards took it everywhere they went. Those are some of the sweetest and tastiest things the Spaniards gave to Latin America. lol

He commits another error by saying that Mate is consumed in all of South America. To my knowledge that is a mostly Argentinian/Uruguayan thing.

About Mexicans and spiciness, they have an obsession. I kid you not one time I saw spicy Mexican candy. Try to register in your minds how can candy that is suppose to be sweet can be spicy. Apparently, they are quite popular in Mexico. I haven't seen spicy candy ever since.

https://youtu.be/CvP1gMvDxVo

Old 08-22-2022, 08:02 AM

24 posts, read 16,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
American Chris Pratt tasting for the first time dulce de leche, arroz con leche and other things. He tries the Argentinean version, but he seem to not be aware that these things exist in every Spanish speaking country in the world. The reason is simple, the original dulce de leche and arroz con leche was created in Spain and the Spaniards took it everywhere they went. Those are some of the sweetest and tastiest things the Spaniards gave to Latin America. lol

He commits another error by saying that Mate is consumed in all of South America. To my knowledge that is a mostly Argentinian/Uruguayan thing.

About Mexicans and spiciness, they have an obsession. I kid you not one time I saw spicy Mexican candy. Try to register in your minds how can candy that is suppose to be sweet can be spicy. Apparently, they are quite popular in Mexico. I haven't seen spicy candy ever since.

https://youtu.be/CvP1gMvDxVo
It’s called being creative and complex…spicy and sweet can complement each other very well if done correctly. Mexican spicy candy is hella popular in the us and becoming popular around the world. Don’t get it twisted though, there are plenty of sweet candies in Mexico. Don’t hate because Mexican gastronomy is the best and most popular from all LATAM countries lol

Old 08-22-2022, 11:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Custard and flan are similar (cousins…lol), correct?…if so, Brazil has some great Pastel de Nata.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:53 PM

626 posts, read 1,239,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There are many Caribbean plates of Native origins and the names of many fruits, vegetables, even certain animals, places, etc are Native too. For example, the Spanish word for turtle is tortuga. In the Dominican Republic that word is used interchangeably with the Taino word of hicotea and when people use that word (or most Taino words for that matter) they don't even know they are using a Native word instead of a Spanish word. For them its all Spanish. Even words for measurements have these interchangeable words. For example, the Spanish word for a little bit is poquito, but in the Dominican Republic the Taino word chin is also used and to say a very little bit you either say muy poquito or chin chin. Again, the average person isn't even aware that one word is in Spanish and the other in Arawak, which is the technical name of the language of the Tainos. An eagle is often referred to as an águila and a guaraguao. The color orange is anaranjado and mamey. A tree is often called árbol and palo, both in Spanish, but also the Taino mata. A frog is sapo or if very small rana but also the Taino word maco is extremely common. Most of the rivers have their Taino names (Camú, Yuna, Ozama; Soco, Haina, etc). Many of the cities and towns still have their composite Spanish/Taino names given to them by the Spanish, which is a common trait in the rest of Latin America (San Francisco de Macorís, Santa Rosa de Bonao, Santa Bárbara de Samaná, Salvaleón de Higüey, Santa Cruz del Seibo, San Gabriel de Dajabón, Nuestra Señora de la Regla de Baní, Nuestra Señora del Rosario de Moca, San Juan de la Maguana, Compostela de Azua, San José de las Matas, etc). Etc, etc, etc.

Also some African words are used and people don't know they are not in Spanish. For example, party is called fiesta (Spanish) and can (Western African). Some foods have a reminder of Africa, such as banana which are called banana (everyone knows what it means) but the most common word is guineo (reminder of Guinea, a place in Africa from where most Dominicans have part of their genetic origin from). There is also a type of chicken that's called guinea, but I think that's their actual name in Spanish. I'm not entirely sure on that though.

But it remains a mistery how can Native peoples invent any food when its main ingredient wasn't available before the arrival of the Spaniards.
Interesting.
This is how we call it in Ecuador as well. I suspected it was somewhat related to Guinea in Africa.
I know in some parts of the Colombian Caribbean call it "Guineo" as well.
Pardon de OT

Carry on.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:27 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Interesting.
This is how we call it in Ecuador as well. I suspected it was somewhat related to Guinea in Africa.
I know in some parts of the Colombian Caribbean call it "Guineo" as well.
Pardon de OT

Carry on.
I thought a “Guineo” was an unripe banana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas