Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 08:11 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
A corrupt society where people believe they can bribe public officials to get whatever they want.

Corruption is an urgent challenge in Mexico that undermines political stability, economic development, the rule of law, efforts to combat organized crime, and the effectiveness of public services.
Corruption in Mexico’s security forces is a key contributor to the sharp rise of organized criminal violence and severely handicaps US-Mexico security cooperation against drug cartels.https://www.aei.org/research-product...-relationship/

Well Singapore had big problems with corruption during colonial period, it was a poor country however it managed to really crack down on it even though they were still undeveloped, and the benefits speak for it self. Now Singapore is the least corrupt county in Asia and one of the least corrupt countries in the world.
Currently Singapore economy is one of the most stable in the world, with no foreign debt, high government revenue and a consistently positive surplus. The Singapore economy is mainly driven by exports in electronics manufacturing and machinery, financial services, tourism, and the world's busiest cargo seaport.

BTW since Mexico and much of the rest of Latin America has major issues with corruption they can learn from Singapore example: Latin American countries can learn these five lessons from Singapore’s
effective anti-corruption strategy: (1) political will is critical for success in curbing corruption; (2)
rely on a single anti-corruption agency (ACA) instead of multiple ACAs to combat corruption; (3)
enforce the anti-corruption laws impartially, not selectively; (4) cut red tape to reduce the
opportunities for corruption; and (5) enhance public trust in politicians and civil servants by curbing
corruption.https://www.ecorfan.org/bolivia/seri...iculo%2010.pdf
America, particularly the Red states, are going down the same path as Latin America with Conservative special interests dominating the government and lack of commitment to democracy and fair elections. (Bet the GOP state officials have vacationed too much in resorts in Central America and have admired the governance too much to bring back souvenirs to the States.)

Singapore ranks high in economic resiliency but low on Western liberal democratic ideals. It reminds me of Texas with the same smoke and mirrors of Perry's "Economic Miracle". It's abhorrent that the death penalty is applied for drug possession (bar set lower than TEXAS? Wow!) and is mostly targeted against foreigners.

Singapore's smoke and mirrors with dazzling skylines and clean streets is a facade to hide the corruption of the elite Chinese ethnics that rule the country. Not a country to admire! Even the Philippines still holds close to Western liberal democratic ideals, despite U.S. independence 75 years ago and the gradual Tagalogization of the entire country through broadcast media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
There is already free movement of goods between the three countries via a free trade agreement (NAFTA 2.1).

I’m not in favor of free movement of labor. For example, Americans wouldn’t bother buying their expensive private health care. They could simply move to Canada to get free government funded health care if they needed it and then move back when they didn’t.
Also Canadians can move to warmer regions of N.A. finally! Don't have to freeze to death anymore because of the arbitrary plantation fences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 08:32 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
*snip*
Also Canadians can move to warmer regions of N.A. finally! Don't have to freeze to death anymore because of the arbitrary plantation fences.
I don’t mind the winter and I don’t want to live in the U.S. - that’s why I live in Canada. Many Canadian retirees do choose to spend their winters in the southern U.S. though.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Plenty of Canadians in Florida and those are not the tourists!

Old 04-13-2022, 10:07 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
America, particularly the Red states, are going down the same path as Latin America with Conservative special interests dominating the government and lack of commitment to democracy and fair elections. (Bet the GOP state officials have vacationed too much in resorts in Central America and have admired the governance too much to bring back souvenirs to the States.)

Singapore ranks high in economic resiliency but low on Western liberal democratic ideals. It reminds me of Texas with the same smoke and mirrors of Perry's "Economic Miracle". It's abhorrent that the death penalty is applied for drug possession (bar set lower than TEXAS? Wow!) and is mostly targeted against foreigners.

Singapore's smoke and mirrors with dazzling skylines and clean streets is a facade to hide the corruption of the elite Chinese ethnics that rule the country. Not a country to admire! Even the Philippines still holds close to Western liberal democratic ideals, despite U.S. independence 75 years ago and the gradual Tagalogization of the entire country through broadcast media.

Why do so many people from the Phillipines move to Singapore then?

BTW I was in Singapore before and I felt very safe, even walking at night. It is one of the most safest countries to go to.

Besides the streets were so clean and it is the cleanest city I have ever been too. I could not imagine a city in the USA that can match that. No slum areas too and it was multicultural too. Plus to maintain harmony between the different races and cultures, all public housing are multicultural and the government strongly discouraged ethnic ghettos.

I am sure if Paris adapted a similar policy or cities in America, it would help break down the ethnic ghettos.

Just because a country is low on western liberal democratic ideas does not mean the western liberal countries and cities can be much better. BTW what about Skid Row in LA?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTJWdtX90C0

After all Skid row is in California and California being a Blue state is supposed to be the wealthiest state of the USA, but has such a serious homeless population. BTW I am sure there are Red states that have their slum areas that can compete with Skid row too. Yet yet has so called Western Liberal ideals helped the people of Skid Row? BTW even China Shanghai does not have ***hole areas as bad as Skid Row.

I don't think the USA is the best role model overall for a country especially on the way it treats its homeless.

BTW I find it amusing that Americans tend to be critical of Singapore, but here in Australia I have rarely encountered anyone that was critical of Singapore, if they mention Singapore.

Plus at least Australia homeless problem is not as bad as places like Skid Row.

Last edited by herenow1; 04-13-2022 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-14-2022, 12:11 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Considering there is an overlap there between some EU and AU countries there, I could see a potential future where the EU and AU could fuse and form a Western Union.
That would be too distant geographically... the EU countries included here are only limited to those with territories in the Americas, particularly the Caribbean.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabemarc View Post
If anything, the US and Mexico look more like the other, not because Mexico has improved, but because the standard of living in the US has declined so much that it doesn't look like a First World country anymore in many of its cities.
I hope you are kidding. The United States has the highest GDP per capita (which takes into account living standards) in 2021 in the Americas. Mexico is not even close to top 10.

GDP (PPP) per capita in 2021 (listing the top 10 in the Americas) according to the IMF:
01. United States : US$69,375
02. Canada : US$53,089
03. Puerto Rico : US$37,170
04. Aruba : US$34,902 (in 2008, it was US$38,896)
05. Bahamas : US$34,732 (in 2019, it was US$38,842)
06. Panama : US$30,889 (in 2019, it was US$32,973)
07. Chile : US$26,513
07. Trinidad and Tobago : US$25,526 (in 2011, it was US$31,321)
08. Guyana : US$24,494
10. Saint Kitts and Nevis : US$24,236 (in 2019, it was US$27,846)

Mexico : US$20,820

Last edited by Daywalk; 04-16-2022 at 04:35 AM..

Old 04-16-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabemarc View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah, the old GDP per capita argument.

You do realize that the US has a serious wealth gap problem and that GDP per capita is not a valid indicator of how the quality of life is in one country?

This just takes the total GDP and divides it by the number of inhabitants. You can't use this metric to analyze how well off people live in one place, especially in a country like the US where you have a few filthy rich billionaires living just miles away from large tent cities.

This is why more balanced societies like Denmark, Finland, Canada and Norway usually have the highest living standards in the world, because they offer a decent quality of life to most of its residents.
Well many of the smartest and brightest people in the so called more balance countries find no incentive to work harder and earn more due to paying more tax as tax rate is highly progressive... they will move to the States to earn more!

Old 05-08-2022, 05:22 AM

1,220 posts, read 513,959 times
The culture divide is just massive between Mexico and N. America (yeah I know technically Mexico is in N. America).

[COLOR=var(--type-primary,#303030)]On Sunday, the largest elections in the history of México will be held. But this electoral process has been tainted by the murder of at least 91 politicians — 36 of them candidates and aspiring candidates — from different parties, taking place since campaigning began in September 2020.[/color]
[COLOR=var(--type-primary,#303030)]These homicides make this election the second most violent in the country's history since 2000. For political scientist and journalist Karina Aguilar, columnist and reporter for the daily newspaper 24 Horas, this is due to the polarization that exists in the country, product of the policies enacted by President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.[/color]
[COLOR=var(--type-primary,#303030)]https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2021/06/06/at-least-91-politicians-killed-ahead-of-mexico-elections/7558598002/[/color]
[COLOR=var(--type-primary,#303030)]2018[/color]
More than 100 politicians have been murdered in Mexico ahead of Sunday’s election

Public officials and activists in Mexico face deadly threats even in broad daylight. Fernando Puron, a congressional candidate in the border city of Piedras Negras, was taking a selfie with a supporter when a gunman shot him in the head from behind. He was the 112th political hopeful to be killed since September.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/more-than-100-politicians-murdered-in-mexico-ahead-of-election.html

1 political assassination in the USA or Canada would be a big deal.

[COLOR=var(--type-primary,#303030)][/color]
[COLOR=var(--type-primary,#303030)]
[/color]

Old 05-14-2022, 09:49 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’m not in favor of free movement of labor. For example, Americans wouldn’t bother buying their expensive private health care. They could simply move to Canada to get free government funded health care if they needed it and then move back when they didn’t.
In my experience, a certain class of Canadian whips out this straw man every now and then, which is as crazy as it is uninformed. Such people do not even bother to move to other states where insurance is more readily available, yet they will flood across the border into Canada? Sure. Yeah, that will happen.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:10 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
In my experience, a certain class of Canadian whips out this straw man every now and then, which is as crazy as it is uninformed. Such people do not even bother to move to other states where insurance is more readily available, yet they will flood across the border into Canada? Sure. Yeah, that will happen.
Once a diagnosis of cancer is received, I doubt private insurance is available in another state. Cancer treatment drugs are often extremely expensive without insurance e.g. $20,000+/month. The alternative of no treatment can mean a fairly quick death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas