Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 10:32 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Once a diagnosis of cancer is received, I doubt private insurance is available in another state. Cancer treatment drugs are often extremely expensive without insurance e.g. $20,000+/month. The alternative of no treatment can mean a fairly quick death.
They're not coming north, Laura Secord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 11:26 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,752 times
Quote:
Once a diagnosis of cancer is received, I doubt private insurance is available in another state. Cancer treatment drugs are often extremely expensive without insurance e.g. $20,000+/month. The alternative of no treatment can mean a fairly quick death.
I'm considering moving abroad after I get my masters of teaching english as a foreign language--I'm interested in Berlin. This is one of the reasons, despite having decent insurance as a teacher by American standards. Another reason is how urban/cosmopolitan Berlin is.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:47 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
I guess Berlin is a good option for studying if you don't mind being in a ugly city. This becomes moreso as you travel throughout Europe (though there are other ugly ducklins throughout the continent such as Amsterdam) and then return "home."

For some people living in a particular setting could have a positive or negative psychological impact (and by consequence affecting their level of happiness) while it doesn't affects others. On the other hand, some people grew up in a particular setting and don't know how the beauty or lack of another setting will impact them until they move and have been living in the other place for a while. The good thing about going somewhere to study is that you don't have to stay there after you get your degree.

It's not the same if a person is born in and all their lives is spent in that area of ugliness. Even if a person have seen pictures/videos or spent tints in other more beautiful cities during vacation, the ugly setting is what they have known for what seems forever. The place has a meaning to them since it's tied to many of the good memories they have.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
There is already free movement of goods between the three countries via a free trade agreement (NAFTA 2.1).

I’m not in favor of free movement of labor. For example, Americans wouldn’t bother buying their expensive private health care. They could simply move to Canada to get free government funded health care if they needed it and then move back when they didn’t.
There is a long waiting list in Canada if you need healthcare,some would rather come to the States and pay for the care themselves.
We have a higher standard of living because we can spend our future earnings -30 years mortgage,5 years car payment,credit card/line of credit for trinklets,vacations,appliances,meals while in other countries,many middle class pay cash or limit to one credit card ,one car ,one house,one TV .
In some countries,merchants cringe when they see you whip out your credit card,as the merchant fees are much higher there.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:38 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I'm considering moving abroad after I get my masters of teaching english as a foreign language--I'm interested in Berlin. This is one of the reasons, despite having decent insurance as a teacher by American standards. Another reason is how urban/cosmopolitan Berlin is.
Last week you were moving to Tasmania because it is liberal.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
bERLIN is bloody cold in winter and this year,without Russian gas ,it could be deadly.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
bERLIN is bloody cold in winter and this year,without Russian gas ,it could be deadly.
Take a few steps back please. Berlin winters are not bloody cold and there are other heating options but Russian gas and who knows what will be by winter. Do you know something the rest of the world does not know?

Old 05-16-2022, 09:32 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Like overall Germans are good looking people, but many have a particular smell becsuse in many parts of Europe (Germany included) its widespread not taking daily showers. Oops, wrong thread. lol

Seriously, at least in the DR Germans are known for that. Did I mention the DR is one of the most popular vacation spots in the Caribbean for Germans?

Ok, back to Mexico's development.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Like overall Germans are good looking people, but many have a particular smell becsuse in many parts of Europe (Germany included) its widespread not taking daily showers. Oops, wrong thread. lol

Seriously, at least in the DR Germans are known for that. Did I mention the DR is one of the most popular vacation spots in the Caribbean for Germans?

Ok, back to Mexico's development.
This is the post of the day! Please do not forget to shower.

Old 05-16-2022, 02:22 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I guess Berlin is a good option for studying if you don't mind being in a ugly city. This becomes moreso as you travel throughout Europe (though there are other ugly ducklins throughout the continent such as Amsterdam) and then return "home."

For some people living in a particular setting could have a positive or negative psychological impact (and by consequence affecting their level of happiness) while it doesn't affects others. On the other hand, some people grew up in a particular setting and don't know how the beauty or lack of another setting will impact them until they move and have been living in the other place for a while. The good thing about going somewhere to study is that you don't have to stay there after you get your degree.

It's not the same if a person is born in and all their lives is spent in that area of ugliness. Even if a person have seen pictures/videos or spent tints in other more beautiful cities during vacation, the ugly setting is what they have known for what seems forever. The place has a meaning to them since it's tied to many of the good memories they have.
Based on what I've seen of Berlin, it doesn't seem as ugly as Shreveport, which is the city I live in now and have lived in for most of my life. I'll get over to Europe eventually. I'm a leftwing atheist living in a conservative backwater mid-sized town. I'm also asexual, but maybe a little gay--I don't know, honestly, but I've never had sex and sex seems kind of icky to me still even though I'm 26. My values don't really fit the local area and I find the summers here so miserably hot that I spend most of my time indoors from April to October. In my travels, I've been to cold places and don't mind the cold as much as the heat, since I can always add layers of clothing but there is only so much I can take off. Shorter term, though, I might move to a leftwing American big city like NYC or something, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas