Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 09:52 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times

Advertisements

No.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:53 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
It is very hard to immigrate to Japan,nor does anyone wants to,ask Carlos Ghosn.

Except most people who want to immigrate to Japan aren't in the same age diaposan as him but rather 20-somethings. Yet...seeing how my immigration to Japan has been postponed for ages and Im way over 20s already I'd rather be old soon to be a CEO of Nissan...

Old 07-07-2022, 06:45 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
USA was sort of a unique model. America was the first time an industrialized people could quickly colonize lands that were not adjacent and marching distance. Earlier invasions, Arab, Mongol, Mayan etc. were limited by intervening geography. So far, only America , with Western European "White" Man, has emerged during this era.

Sailing ships, that recently, have so far been the only realistic model combining superior military technology and zeal with mobility. It remains to be seen how other cultures will behave, faced with similar opportunities. There is no analogous model to compare.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:56 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
There has been a lot of revisionist history about the ladino states & societies of bilad Amerigo.

Mestijaze is just rebranding of what would in other terms be called rape culture.

Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, Volume 4, p. 271.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:04 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is this a serious question? You really don't know? I would think that some of the history you quoted would point you in the direction of an answer. But if you sincerely want to know, feel free to start a thread on the topic. Your question is off-topic for this thread.
I asked a straightforward question. I was under the impression that majority rule would solve the problems.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:22 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
USA was sort of a unique model. America was the first time an industrialized people could quickly colonize lands that were not adjacent and marching distance. Earlier invasions, Arab, Mongol, Mayan etc. were limited by intervening geography. So far, only America , with Western European "White" Man, has emerged during this era.

Sailing ships, that recently, have so far been the only realistic model combining superior military technology and zeal with mobility. It remains to be seen how other cultures will behave, faced with similar opportunities. There is no analogous model to compare.
The entire Western Hemisphere was similar.

It is noteworthy to contrast how the British and their descendants developed USA and Canda, against how the Spanish and their descendants developed South and Central America. I think geography has something to do with it, but I believe it 90% cultural.

I attribute the major difference the what I believe is a vastly superior culture of Democracy.

Great Britain had a King, but one hamstrung by Parliament. Meanwhile, Spain was a raw Monarchic dictatorship. I think America's development thrived from that representative government form while South and Central America was stymied by not having such a representative model, resulting in oppression and then revolution.

I am not a historian. Maybe somebody can correct me on that.

Still, it makes you wonder what would be the result if Spaniards had landed in Virginia and British colonists had landed in Brazil.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:29 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Still, it makes you wonder what would be the result if Spaniards had landed in Virginia and British colonists had landed in Brazil.
I am actually a history buff. I can't disagree with much of what you said.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:59 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The entire Western Hemisphere was similar.

It is noteworthy to contrast how the British and their descendants developed USA and Canda, against how the Spanish and their descendants developed South and Central America. I think geography has something to do with it, but I believe it 90% cultural.

I attribute the major difference the what I believe is a vastly superior culture of Democracy.

Great Britain had a King, but one hamstrung by Parliament. Meanwhile, Spain was a raw Monarchic dictatorship. I think America's development thrived from that representative government form while South and Central America was stymied by not having such a representative model, resulting in oppression and then revolution.

The wealthiest parts of the Western Hemisphere were in Latin America. The major cities not just in population, but also in influence and wealth were places like Mexico City. That has been the case for most of the time since colonization started in the 1500's.

The other aspect is that the USA itself has invaded much of Latin America, particularly starting on the second half of the 1800's. The USA has never been invaded by any Latin American country (and excepting Britain in the War of 1812, no country in the world has even attempted to invade the USA.)

This map presents a partial information. For example, the US militarily invaded the Dominican Republic in 1916 until 1924 and there is no mention of that. That was the most important US invasion of the DR, becsuse until then the USA was not the most important country for the DR. Most likely there are other US invasions in Latin America not commented here. In fact, Haiti has been invaded for much longer by the USA, including the first time from 1915 to 1934 (19 years under US military occupation, unbelivable) and that too isn't mention in the map. *

https://medium.com/@cmathur20/human-...a-90d29043f38b

https://kc-johnson.com/history-30-8-nov-10-12/

https://www.iuvmarchive.org/en/image...-latin-america

* Here are some photos (the wording is in Spanish, but photos say more than words) taken in the Dominican Republic during the first US military invasion 1916-1924: https://losdominicanos.org/2022/03/1...ana-1916-1924/

I'm not blaming the US for the current economic situation in much of Latin America, but lets not pretend Uncle Sam didn't do its part in adding wood to the fire. If Latin America would had treated the US in kind with its own invasions of the USA, I highly doubt the cuurent economic situation in the USA would be the case.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:09 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
There are other things the USA did in Latin America and that too most likely had an effect on development. Take this as an example in Guatemala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh4a3NVTJwA

Old 07-08-2022, 08:15 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The fact remains, we welcome them rather than constrict our societies, as Japan and most of Asia does.
It is not that dificult immigrate to Japan as most people think.

I have brazilians friends who immigrate there even not being of japanese background and all they need to do were buy a six month japanese language course. Being there in Japan studing, they applied for jobs and got easily only speaking basic japanese and intermediate english, so having a job they got japanese work visa.

They are not supper qualified professionals, but graphic designers and other office workers. This is much easier than immigrate legally to USA or most of EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas