Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 10:47 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times

Advertisements

Maybe "coming back fron a night club at 2-am" would have some bearing on your expectation of personal safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 06:24 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Maybe "coming back fron a night club at 2-am" would have some bearing on your expectation of personal safety.
In my hometown it is common to come back from a club at any point in the night/morning. I may have been a bit naive doing so in Medellin, but was just doing what is usually a normal routine for me some weekends.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I'm in Medellin right now. if I decide to live here someday, I sure as hell won't choose to live in a dangerous area or for that matter visit one at night. I'd probably try to stay away from the city centers altogether, on a small finca.

You must be young and still want to show some 'street cred' or something. Some of Us harmless older numbskulls just want to enjoy decent value for our money, ok health in a beautiful place. No urgency to go huffing and puffing around in the dangerous parts to show how tough we can be.

Learning the language is definitely critical in my opinion. Not acting like an expert overstating your knowledge is also a good attribute to keep in mind...especially when encouraging others to see the city.

It's Colombia, it's a poverty sicken country and trouble is always one wrong turn away.
Nothing to do with looking for “street cred,” just trying to get a better picture of the city outside the tourist areas.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Most people are smart enough to stay in safe areas no matter where they live. Not sure why you decided to venture out into unsafe territory, but it wasn't very bright, was it?
I wasn’t particularly seeking out bad areas, I basically just walked out of the tourist area I was staying in in one direction and before I knew it everything changed dramatically.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:23 AM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I wasn’t particularly seeking out bad areas, I basically just walked out of the tourist area I was staying in in one direction and before I knew it everything changed dramatically.
Reminds me of the time I went to Baltimore. Oh yes, downtown is very very nice. Then it goes downhill fast and its not as if there was a transition zone. Admittedly this was a long time ago and I haven't been to Baltimore sice, so it could had change by now but I doubt it.

I remember several of the people tht I was with raved how nice downtown Baltimore was, but that rave turn to silance very quick. lol

Old 06-11-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Reminds me of the time I went to Baltimore. Oh yes, downtown is very very nice. Then it goes downhill fast and its not as if there was a transition zone. Admittedly this was a long time ago and I haven't been to Baltimore sice, so it could had change by now but I doubt it.

I remember several of the people tht I was with raved how nice downtown Baltimore was, but that rave turn to silance very quick. lol

I had a similar experience in Baltimore, it indeed gets bad quickly.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:38 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
I would not even have personal safety ranked in t top ten, for evaluating suitability of countries to live in.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:25 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I live in a bubble in Miami and only venture to 4-5 neighborhoods unless I visit friends up north in Palm Beach County.

As for Medellin, I’m sure expats are more comfortable hanging with fellow expats whom they have more in common with and prefer staying in areas that they fit it. Maybe they do so because they are not completely fluent in Spanish. Personally, I avoid Parque Lleras when I visit MDE but spend most of my time in El Poblado, Tesoro, Laureles, Provenza, etc.

If I were to move to Rio, I would live in Leblon, Lagoa, Jardim or Barra da Tijuca—not in a favela.

I also try not to bring attention to myself and take a taxi late at night if walking more than a few blocks or in an area I’m not familiar with.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:46 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I suggest broadening your inquisitory base. I understand that for the most part you can only query what and who you have access to but there are tons of expats who actually live like locals. But I have to agree with you on one point....there are some who do move to less developed countries to live like kings due to the conversion, and those usually do not emerge themselves into the fabric of the communities that so call seem to now love. That includes weaving themselves into the actual fabric of the communities, learning and participating in the local cultures and languages. Its a psychology to actually embracing expat life as an actual resident as opposed to just being an extended tourist. Thats my opinion on it. I dont frequent tourist areas here in Brazil much, taught myself the language and live in a very Carioca neighborhood. Some people speak some english but for the most part my days are filled with speaking in Portuguese.
I do the same since I blend in incredibly well in Brazil. Like Sao Paulo and the many smaller cities a lot but for some reason places in RJ was always the worst ever experiences with a Policia, corretores de imovies, medico, etc.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:53 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
OP I wonder how safe those areas are at sun rise, not coming home but starting ones day after a good nights sleep? That is my life style so most places are safer for me than you given our life choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas