Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 05:51 PM

4,004 posts, read 6,856,058 times

Advertisements

By the way, the tension seems to be fading away now... Democracy in Brazil will survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 06:02 PM

4,101 posts, read 3,753,269 times
All I can say is Bolsonaro is a **** and good riddance!

I hope the new left rising in Latin America is more moderate though.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:03 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,251,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I’m so happy for Lula’s victory.

One of my best friends lives in Rio, she’s been so worried about the possible coup the Brazilian Trump would pull if he were to lose. She told me the police actually stopped cars and buses on the road to prevent them from voting for Lula in the regions Lula would get more votes…..She said just like the US this will not be the end of the movement but at least it’s a positive thing for many Brazilians who have been suffering under Bolsonaro’ a ruling.
People here are relieved.....the progressive people at least. He was a cancer.

They indeed did block buses and cars in the Nordeste. Their attempts almost worked...it was around a 2 million vote gap but 5.7 million were null.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:55 AM

10,319 posts, read 15,180,545 times
Am I the only one surprised with how many Brazilians voted for Bolsonaro? Based on the impresssion in this forum, I expected a lot less. He basically got half of the votes and loss by an extremely small margin. Is he actually more popular among Brazilians than it seems?

https://elpais.com/internacional/202...unicipios.html

I'm also surprised that the states of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro voted for Bolsonaro, especially Rio de Janeiro. Even the capital voted for Bolsonaro. Most of the Brazilians I have met outside of Brazil are from Minas Gerais and that state actually voted for Lula.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_B...neral_election

Does Brazil have a bicameral congress? If so, how does the Lula's and Bolsonaro's parties relate in terms of percentages of seats? If it happens that Bolsonaro's party has a greater weight, does this poses a challenge for Lula getting anything approved by congress?

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-02-2022 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-02-2022, 08:08 AM

10,319 posts, read 15,180,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
All I can say is Bolsonaro is a **** and good riddance!

I hope the new left rising in Latin America is more moderate though.
Unlike many leftists rising to power in Latin America, Lula has a track record of what is like for him to rule. He may do all sorts of things to Brazil, but degrading the place like Maduro did to Venezuela is not one of them.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:31 AM

3,532 posts, read 2,875,423 times
Why would those small northern states vote for Bolsonaro?

Old 11-02-2022, 08:39 AM

102 posts, read 62,270 times
North and Northeast always destroying the country. The poorest regions of the country support Lula. They are poor due the corruption and only choose corrupt politicians. I don't generalize all north and northeast Brazilians but such stupid region.
PT ruled the country for 16 years. And for 16 years northeast Brazil states are the last places in human development. I support separation. They should let the South, Southeast, and Midwest create a country. And the North and Northeast ruled by Lula and living in poverty.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:43 AM

102 posts, read 62,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Why would those small northern states vote for Bolsonaro?
the region have a huge porcentage of evangelicals. A lot of evangelicals support Bolsonaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What is different is that the major cities in Brazil are conservative. Its the places in the Northeast of the country that is Lula's base. Sao Paulo, Rio, and Porto Alegre all went Bolsonaro. I think Belo split. In the US its the major cities that are liberal.

I feel bad for Brazil. Their two options were a fascist and a leftist. How much worse could it get?
Lula is popular because uses poverty to stay in power. Lula offer 116 dollars and more 11 dollars for children up to 6 years ( of social benefit) The northeast are the poorest region of Brazil. A lot of the population survive by social benefits. For this reason he is so popular in the poorest regions. A lot of the citizens are accommodated with social assistance.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:35 PM

4,101 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Brazil is contrary to the US. The metropolitan areas in the US opt for the progressive candidate (although it could be argued Lula isn't really progressive) and it's the more disenfranchised rural areas that vote for the likes of Trump.

I think on the whole the international community is happy to see the back of Bolsonaro, including Europe and the rest of Latin America.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:45 PM

1,010 posts, read 895,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Am I the only one surprised with how many Brazilians voted for Bolsonaro? Based on the impresssion in this forum, I expected a lot less. He basically got half of the votes and loss by an extremely small margin. Is he actually more popular among Brazilians than it seems?

https://elpais.com/internacional/202...unicipios.html

I'm also surprised that the states of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro voted for Bolsonaro, especially Rio de Janeiro. Even the capital voted for Bolsonaro. Most of the Brazilians I have met outside of Brazil are from Minas Gerais and that state actually voted for Lula.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_B...neral_election

Does Brazil have a bicameral congress? If so, how does the Lula's and Bolsonaro's parties relate in terms of percentages of seats? If it happens that Bolsonaro's party has a greater weight, does this poses a challenge for Lula getting anything approved by congress?
Brazil has tons of parties, all presidents have to negotiate.

The vast majority who voted for Bolsonaro simply because they didn't want Lula.
A lot of people hate the PT (work party) whoever the candidate is because PT is of unionist origin, and many others because of the PT corruption cases I mentioned about Lula.

And the same with Lula, the vast majority who voted for him (like me) because they thought it was more important to remove Bolsonaro from power, even if we didn't forgive Lula's failures.

Especially having someone like Geraldo Alckmim as vice president, who was governor of Sao Paulo for 16 years and is effectively taking the reins of government, as was promised, already now leading the transition government.
We hope that at some point, with so much exposure, he will take over the government in the next elections. Brazil is very big and diverse country, very difficult for politicians to get national projection.
Really only Lula could defeat Bolsonaro at the moment (he was the first president to fail to be reelected in the history of Brazil) and even then we were lucky because it was for tight 2,1 millions votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas