Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 06:36 AM

7,420 posts, read 6,586,935 times

Advertisements

Looks like Brazil will resume a Visa requirement to enter the country from those 4 countries. The Visa requirement had been relaxed since 2019. Official announcement with start date to be announced in the near future. Bummer—need to look for my expired U.S. passport which still has a valid Visa through 2025.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...es-2023-03-08/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 04:16 PM

10,164 posts, read 15,040,014 times
I remember the first time Brazil required Americans a visa. It was when the USA required Brazilians a visa to enter the US and the Brazilian government at that time didn’t liked that, so they responded in kind.

With that said, if any American has the possibility of getting a second citizenship and they travel abroad a lot, please do. I don’t know if the current visa to Brazil is free or not, but before I think it was US$300. For those with dual American/Dominican citizenship, the Brazilian consulate would charge around $300 per person if used the American passport. However, that same person would be charged $20 if used the Dominican passport since that was the price of the same visa to Dominican citizens. It was a no brainer which one you used. lol

Old 03-12-2023, 10:04 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,139 posts, read 7,601,151 times
Thanks for posting this. My visa expired last year (2022) and I'm thinking about going back soon. Almost went last year but it was within 6 months of my expiration date so I didn't chance it.

I think my first visa there only took a couple weeks to receive after I applied in person at the consulate in DC. So this may be a bummer, but hopefully the process will still go smoothly.

Old 03-13-2023, 02:32 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,467,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I remember the first time Brazil required Americans a visa. It was when the USA required Brazilians a visa to enter the US and the Brazilian government at that time didn’t liked that, so they responded in kind.
It's delusional to expect that the US would allow Brazil visa-free entry. It's a very poor country.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:00 AM

3,996 posts, read 6,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's delusional to expect that the US would allow Brazil visa-free entry. It's a very poor country.

Our current government is delusional. Less delusional than the previous government, but still delusional.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:58 AM

10,164 posts, read 15,040,014 times
Quote:
Last I checked, Brazil has never been a rich country, though there are areas of Brazil that are wealthy at least by the developing world standard.

There are other countries where visas aren't required for a visit. For example, people from Colombia don't need a visa to visit the Europen Union and Colombia is even poorer than Brazil.

Speaking of Europeans, I think they can enter Brazil visa-free, but Brazilians can enter Europe visa-free too. Much of Europe is some of the richest and most developed parts of the world.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:04 AM

5,770 posts, read 11,404,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Last I checked, Brazil has never been a rich country.

There are other countries where visas aren't required for a visit. For example, people from Colombia don't need a visa to visit the Europen Union and Colombia is even poorer than Brazil.

Speaking of Europeans, I think they can enter Brazil visa-free, but Brazilians can enter Europe visa-free too. Much of Europe is some of the richest and most developed parts of the world.
Portugal (part of EU and Schengen zone) wants to maintain visa-free entry to Brazilians into Portugal, hence into EU. I am pretty sure they lobbied to keep Brazil visa-free entry into EU Schengen zone.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:49 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,040,563 times
Quote:
If that wasn't enough, Bolivia and Paraguay do the same thing to try to make a statement. As if the US would change their policy as a result of this

Old 03-13-2023, 10:59 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,212,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
If that wasn't enough, Bolivia and Paraguay do the same thing to try to make a statement. As if the US would change their policy as a result of this
Don’t think it is about “the statement”

There is nothing wrong with the reciprocity in diplomatic world. Tit for tat.

Glad that other countries feel on equal political footing with the US.

Good for Brazil as well as other countries. We make them get visa and pay fees - they have the right to do absolutely the same to us - as they should.

They could use the visa fees money as well..

Old 03-13-2023, 11:27 AM

3,996 posts, read 6,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Don’t think it is about “the statement”

There is nothing wrong with the reciprocity in diplomatic world. Tit for tat.

There is nothing wrong in principle, but Brazil will only lose money from potential tourism with this measure... and will win nothing from this... Sounds like a childish idea from a government that puts ideology ahead of pragmatic reasoning... and we are not talking about something that really needs to be taken with ideology ahead of pragmatic reasoning, like human rights, or other important issues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas