Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 08:06 AM

10,069 posts, read 14,947,742 times

Advertisements

These are the latests figures from Insight Crime.

https://insightcrime.org/news/insigh...cide-round-up/

Things I noticed.

- Puerto Rico has improved a lot. I'm impressed.

- There is no data for Haiti, but judging by the news reports of the gangs situation (Barbecue anyone?) and what many Haitians in the DR say about how they felt in Haiti, I bet if data was possible to collect Haiti would be higher. Couple that with Turks and Caicos (surprises me to see it this bad) and, basically, the DR is surrounded by places with higher homicide rates in all directions. Puerto Rico is the safest, something I wouldn't had said a few years ago.

- Jamaica... By itself is most of the English Caribbean in land area and population.

- I'm shocked by Saint Lucia and Saint Vincent. Never thought they were up there. Already knew things were not peachy in Trinidad & Tobago, so no surprises there. Bahamas is shocking while Barbados is the light in that part of the Caribbean. It would be interesting to see how the French islands (Guadeloupe, Martinique, St Barts, etc) stack up.

- On the continent mainland, the improvements of El Salvador is remarkable. People can criticize Bukele for many things, but reducing the murder rate by going after the Salvadoran gangs isn't one of them. A few countries could use their own Bukele for a few years.

- I'm surprised not that things are horrible in Venezuela regarding homicides, but rather that they still get stats from them.

- I heard for sometime that things in Ecuador have been going downhill and I'm afraid the stats seen there are part of a upward trend in that country. I have also heard similar things of Peru, but there are no stats to verify.

- I'm surprised by Brazil. I thought it would be higher. Must be part of a downward trend. If so, keep going in that direction.

- Mexico may be on the somewhat high side, but certain media in the USA makes it seem Venezuela is nothing compared to Mexico. The sky isn't falling folks.

- The Latin American countries with the least homicides are El Salvador, Suriname, Paraguay, Nicaragua and Chile.

- No data for Bolivia and Argentina.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-24-2023 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 05:30 PM

30,343 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Chile still the safest LA country and the only one lower than the USA.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:19 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Chile still the safest LA country and the only one lower than the USA.
Only regarding homicide rates. Other types of crimes have completely different dynamics.

Old 08-08-2023, 06:22 PM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
These are the latests figures from Insight Crime.

https://insightcrime.org/news/insigh...cide-round-up/

Things I noticed.

- Puerto Rico has improved a lot. I'm impressed.

What the hell is going on in turks & caicos??

Old 08-15-2023, 07:31 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Even the lowest is still extremely high. Scary continent.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:15 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
What the hell is going on in turks & caicos??
It's small as heck, thus higher rates. But I've heard that drug and gang issues has increased significantly since my last visit there in 2020. Even a tourist from my area was murdered last summer, as he was hit by crossfire from disputing gangs.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/07/us/ke...cos/index.html

Old 08-15-2023, 08:21 PM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's small as heck, thus higher rates. But I've heard that drug and gang issues has increased significantly since my last visit there in 2020. Even a tourist from my area was murdered last summer, as he was hit by crossfire from disputing gangs.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/07/us/ke...cos/index.html
That's unfortunate. There was a proposed annexation of T&C by Canada. Not sure how serious that idea was, but it doesn't seem like a good idea now.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:30 AM

3,978 posts, read 6,787,315 times
There was a homicide in my neighborhood in the night of the last July 28, a Friday. This kind of thing happens in Fortaleza...

Old 08-16-2023, 06:32 AM

3,978 posts, read 6,787,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Even the lowest is still extremely high. Scary continent.

Latin America is not for amateurs.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:39 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Latin America is not for amateurs.
Yeah I guess. To me France is quite dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas