Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 12:19 AM

6 posts, read 17,097 times

Advertisements

I visited Santiago de Chile recently and was surprised by how liberal people there were in general. I saw plenty of gay couples holding hands and some even kissing in public. I also noticed that people were very lax about smoking marijuana, it's probably the Latin American city I saw people smoking weed the most.

The Chilean youth seems to be very secularized and irreligious, I've seen stats showing that around 40% of the Chilean population is irreligious, and among the youth the percentage is probably even higher.

Politically, the Chilean youth seems to lean to the left, while the Argentinian youth is full of ancaps(see how popular Javier Milei is among young Argentinians, unlike Kast among young Chileans). Milei is likely to win the Argentinian elections, while Kast lost against Boric in 2021 and is likely to lose again against Matthei in the next elections.

Those are just some observations I had while vising both countries recently. Chile seems to have surpassed Argentina and is now the second most secularized country in the region, after Uruguay. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 03:51 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Being secular, being liberal(progressive), and voting a right-wing candidate, are three different things.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:04 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Boric is the reason for the left lean and the photos of Allende in his office.
Argentina is bankrupt again - 19000% inflation this year.

Old 10-14-2023, 01:41 PM

I know they mean different things, but I'm under the impression that Chile is on the path to become one of the most progressive and secular societies in Latin America, alongside Uruguay

I know that Argentina is very progressive(law wise), but after visiting both countries recently I'm convinced the Chilean youth may be even more progressive and irreligious, jut the impression I had. I've seen some recent surveys also suggesting that Christianity is declining fast in Chile, while Argentina is still slightly more Catholic and this was definitely something I noticed while vising both countries.

Also, Chile has already had several agnostic presidents, while most Argentinian presidents tend to be Catholic. I'm under the impression religion has lost a great deal of credibility in Chilean society after the Karadima scandal, while it continues to be somewhat more relavant in Argentinian society.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:16 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
According to this, Chile is mostly Christians with Agnostics/Athiest as a minority. It has a lo g way to be like China.

Old 10-15-2023, 01:51 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Guyana os my third home after Canada, intermountain western USofA and where I have been living off and on since separation from the UK over 50 yrs ago. It is the only country in Latam (So Amer) that the official language is English.It is 63% Christian, 25% Hindu, 40% East Indian, 30% African, 10.10.5% mixed blood, 10.5% indigenous, 0.5% European and 0.3% Chinese inhabitants.
The only other English speaking country is Belize which is in Central America another former Crown colony

Old 12-24-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
According to this, Chile is mostly Christians with Agnostics/Athiest as a minority. It has a lo g way to be like China.

This is outdated as hell! Chilean society is very secularized nowadays. The most recent estimates suggest that 35-40% of Chileans are irreligious. Chile and Uruguay are the most secularized countries in Latin America nowadays.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:44 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinAmericanTraveler View Post
This is outdated as hell! Chilean society is very secularized nowadays. The most recent estimates suggest that 35-40% of Chileans are irreligious. Chile and Uruguay are the most secularized countries in Latin America nowadays.
From 2021, just 2 years ago.

https://www.statista.com/chart/27033...le-by-country/

Old 12-26-2023, 12:05 PM

I found the article in Spanish, and it indicated that only 61% of Chileans said they follow a religion! So 39% of Chileans are unaffiliated, thus making it the second most secular country in Latam, after Uruguay and ahead of Argentina. So my point still stands!

https://es.statista.com/grafico/2672...-una-religion/
Attached Thumbnails
Is Chile more liberal(secular) than Argentina nowadays?-26726.jpeg  

Old 01-02-2024, 04:35 PM

268 posts, read 56,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinAmericanTraveler View Post

I found the article in Spanish, and it indicated that only 61% of Chileans said they follow a religion! So 39% of Chileans are unaffiliated, thus making it the second most secular country in Latam, after Uruguay and ahead of Argentina. So my point still stands!

https://es.statista.com/grafico/2672...-una-religion/
I don't trust statistics. If you ask people in my country, most of them will tell you that they are Catholic, by tradition, because it is the most politically correct thing to say, etc. But if you dig a little deeper into their lives, you'll realize that these people follow religion as much as I follow the American football championship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas