Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 08:50 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Once again, I commend your ability to find all sorts of data. I do however invite you to actually go to Colombia to strengthen your perceived understanding of the place.
I say this is a manifestation of not understanding. My take from what you said is that you might be the type of person that needs to see to believe, that's the only way I think someone thinks simply going somewhere will make me change my mind. Yet, it never has.

Do you know what is one of the reasons those that become rich as always a few and never the majority? They see the world as it is, not as most people. That's the case everywhere. That's the difference between perception and reality. You go by the data and most of the times your results will be better than those done by people that depend on feelings and perceptions.

Take as an example you manage and own a supermarket chain. Most people might think X places can't support one, it doesn't have the economy for that. You go by the data and it shows that in fact it does, so you decide to buy some land there and build a supermarket. Many will criticize you for taking that decision, other the size of the supermarket, etc. Then it opens and contrary to most people, it actually makes money, more money than most thought. How can that be? Most people convinced themselves it was impossible in that area? The owner of the supermarket is not like most people. In fact, that's one of the reason he founded that business and owns that supermarket chain. Now, why is that?

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-26-2024 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 10:28 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I say this is a manifestation of not understanding. My take from what you said is that you might be the type of person that needs to see to believe, that's the only way I think someone thinks simply going somewhere will make me change my mind. Yet, it never has.

Do you know what is one of the reasons those that become rich as always a few and never the majority? They see the world as it is, not as most people. That's the case everywhere. That's the difference between perception and reality. You go by the data and most of the times your results will be better than those done by people that depend on feelings and perceptions.

Take as an example you manage and own a supermarket chain. Most people might think X places can't support one, it doesn't have the economy for that. You go by the data and it shows that in fact it does, so you decide to buy some land there and build a supermarket. Many will criticize you for taking that decision, other the size of the supermarket, etc. Then it opens and contrary to most people, it actually makes money, more money than most thought. How can that be? Most people convinced themselves it was impossible in that area? The owner of the supermarket is not like most people. In fact, that's one of the reason he founded that business and owns that supermarket chain. Now, why is that?
I was never attempting to change your mind actually, but since you often comment on Colombia, it may be an interesting place for you to visit.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:11 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
We will probably see the statistics, even the murder statistics, wobble a bit in the coming years. Concepts are changing in some of these countries. Even 5 years ago, no one would have believed that Ecuador would be so dangerous, and that Costa Rica would heat up the way it has recently. Argentina is in for some really rough times ahead. I do believe though that Chile, Argentina and Uruguay will remain much safer than, say, Colombia, Venezuela and Honduras based upon any way of looking at it.

Sometimes we need to stop and examine our own cognitive dissonance. When I first saw this video, I didn't think that Argentina even had places with conditions like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSCdhNcCHQU
I agree, Argentina probably will get more dangerous in the short term unless they can change their economy for the better. I still think Chile is the safest country in Latin America, I felt very safe traveling in Chile, of course, I didn't hang out in the worst areas of Santiago either.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Couple of articles have come out within recent weeks urging caution when visiting Medellin.

https://www.wsj.com/world/americas/a...imessage_share

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/23/w...es-deaths.html
Dudes just don't know how to move out here. I've never used a "dating app" in my life. There's lots of other ways to meet women, like looking them in their face and speaking for starters. There's better online options than specifically "dating apps". I've had two different gf's in Medellin, and another one in Cali, visited both cities (Medellin pretty regularly) and never had a hint of a problem. Trust me I've been in some barrios too, at night in both cities. It's all how you handle yourself really, and know who you are rolling with. I do speak Spanish although I'm not a native, nor Latino.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
The whole passport bros thing is so cringe. I have seen there videos online, alot of their crap is super disrespectful. I have no sympathy for them.
I saw a video on X yesterday, three "pp bros" in Cartagena down there fighting with some girls in there room. The girls were saying in Spanish "tocame, tocame" like daring the guys to touch her. In the comments you can see those who know the deal saying, these guys truly don't realize where they were, and that with one phone call that girl will have their limbs chopped off and likely tossed in a barrel of acid like it's a regular day. Lol!

Old 01-27-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I was never attempting to change your mind actually, but since you often comment on Colombia, it may be an interesting place for you to visit.
Or talk about Colombia with my soon to be Colombian in-laws.

But that's besides the point. Your suggestion to visit Colombia is nothing more to think I will change my mind. You continue to show you have no idea that going somewhere will not change my mind if the data doesn't back it up. That's like saying "going to Orlando, Fl makes one better understand what is going on there," yet it doesn't. Going to Orlando sinply shows it's a beautifully built up area, but to know whether it has a crime problem or is in an economic crisis or have business opportunities doesn't depend on visiting. The numbers on paper so to speak explains that.

Overall NYC is an ugly city. Unless you spend most of your time in the nicer neighborhoods, you might think not many rich people live there judging by the impression much of the city gives to the eye-o-meter. Yet, the data shows it has the highest concentration of millionaires and one of the highest or highest of billionaires in the USA and one of the highest in the world, plus NYC is one of the world's wealthiest and most powerful. The eye-o-meter isn't right again since overall NYC doesn't look the part.

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-27-2024 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-27-2024, 11:47 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Or talk about Colombia with my soon to be Colombian in-laws.

But that's besides the point. Your suggestion to visit Colombia is nothing more to think I will change my mind. You continue to show you have no idea that going somewhere will not change my mind if the data doesn't back it up. That's like saying "going to Orlando, Fl makes one better understand what is going on there," yet it doesn't. Going to Orlando sinply shows it's a beautifully built up area, but to know whether it has a crime problem or is in an economic crisis or have business opportunities doesn't depend on visiting. The numbers on paper so to speak explains that.

Overall NYC is an ugly city. Unless you spend most of your time in the nicer neighborhoods, you might think not many rich people live there judging by the impression much of the city gives to the eye-o-meter. Yet, the data shows it has the highest concentration of millionaires and one of the highest or highest of billionaires in the USA and one of the highest in the world, plus NYC is one of the world's wealthiest and most powerful. The eye-o-meter isn't right again since overall NYC doesn't look the part.
It's not to change your mind, but going there might make you say, "Okay, so that's what these countless other contributors on this forum were talking about. I couldn't find this particular aspect of the city anywhere on Google." If people won't be allowed to have their personal experiences taken seriously on here, we might as well be vetted for our credentials and have this become a think tank, where everything written needs to be backed up by authoritative sources. I'm pretty sure that's not the goal of this forum. I respect and applaud the facts you bring to the table. You do use plenty of eye o meter when talking about your native DR, for example where is the stat that Dominican Americans visit the North Coast more than other US Citizens? Was that a conclusion you came to after spending time there, looking around and talking with people? I take you at your word though. I don't need to go find some stat that will probably go in an entirely different direction and put it on here just because I need to doubt everything you say.

I don't enjoy the bickering aspect of this forum, so that's all I will be saying about this.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:54 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Never had an issue in Medellin. Went to Cartagena for the first time in 22. Loved it. Both places have been very affordable and yes, I do go out. There are some nice restaurants overlooking the city of Medellin and there is one right outside of it that has te "dancing horses". Pretty cool. And the Christmas light display is incredible.

Love the country, but I will also be the first to admit that the gringo tax can be pretty much eliminated when your with your Paisa wife and let her do any negotiating.

But with pretty much the whole decade from 2000 to 2011 I pretty much lived in assorted Latin American country's including 20 month's in VEN and 8 years in CR so I learned to "blend in" (yea, right ....bald white guy). But seriously, dress like the locals and wear no jewelry (not a problem when you dont have any).

The only shooting happening around me? A guy got shot in a discoteque I was at in Costa Rica! The only thing stollen? I had my passport stollen out of a bag I was carrying right after getting off a plane in......again......the safe, tourist friendly country of Costa Rica!

Old 02-01-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I saw a video on X yesterday, three "pp bros" in Cartagena down there fighting with some girls in there room. The girls were saying in Spanish "tocame, tocame" like daring the guys to touch her. In the comments you can see those who know the deal saying, these guys truly don't realize where they were, and that with one phone call that girl will have their limbs chopped off and likely tossed in a barrel of acid like it's a regular day. Lol!
They are dealing with hookers. Legsl or not legal, many hookers don't come or don't have the same morals as most of the women there and elsewhere. If they did, they wouldn't be hookers.

The kicker is when you hear of someone marrying a hooker that they met doing the hooking. Yes, it can work, but you are not marrying the most moral person. There is extra baggage that comes with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas