Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 02:58 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times

Advertisements

Totó plays the ancestral Cumbia from colonial times with roots in 1600's basically. She is one of those figures a biopic is bound to be made about, mark my words. No doubt the word has something to do with the womb and new-birth, it has African origins.

In England

In France

In Peru

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 02-29-2024 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 08:25 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
What I find so fascinating about cumbia is how it has traveled so much to other countries, and how it has twisted and turned as other countries' musicians sprinkled their own flavors on it. When I lived in South Texas last year, dancing "cumbias" (not sure why people use it in the plural there) is very serious business. Some of the interpretations though have about as much in common with dancing traditional salsa as dancing salsa choque...not much...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3OPOXniYq00

Dancing traditional cumbia is unheard of in a disco in Colombia filled with young people, at least in the interior. MAAAYYYBE in a joint filled with older folks you would see that, but it's much more likely that they will be dancing tango. It's a bit of a strange realization when you consider how many other countries' dance halls are packed with couples dancing cumbia.

Argentinian cumbia, Mexican cumbia, electric cumbia, psychodelic cumbia...what else am I missing? It's really evolved so much in other places. Even more traditional Colombian artists have found much more success in other countries than where they are from. Many believe that la Cumbia Sanpuesana is in fact Salvadoran, when in reality Aniceto Molina is Colombian and simply had a great deal of success in other countries.

Even Peruvians put their own spin on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhgnxSSc8gQ

I am quite sure that some cumbia purists view groups like Systema Solar and Bomba Estereo as blasphemous, but I welcome these modern interpretations with traditional backbones. Cumbia can easily give salsa a run for its money as one of the most diffused and representative music genres of Lat Am.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:20 AM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
What is it with Colombians and that word? First the store, now this….

- To get this, search what that word means in Dominican Spanish, ahem…
It's Totó la Momposina, the backpack brand is called "Totto".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Says the person from Boyaca who is as far removed from Cumbia as almost any other Colombian department/region.

Useless butthurt ad hominem "argument". I could say the same about the British guy living privileged life, far away from true Colombian lifestyle, and spamming all threads with Colombian related videos nobody watches. And I'm not even Boyacense.

Quote:
I'm sorry but in many circles artists such as Lucho Bermudez, La Negra Grande de Colombia, Gaiteros de San Jacinto and Toto la Momposina to name a few are highly regarded and respected and have received several recognitions and accolades. Just because you're in your andean plateau bubble doesn't mean all of Colombia is the same.
They are not regarded and respected by most people (they should). Ask anyone to name more than 3 songs off these artists, the majority of people won't have a clue.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:16 PM

1,216 posts, read 511,924 times
It probably depends on the country or region. Country Western or Sertanejo is the most popular genre in Brazil.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:35 PM

1,223 posts, read 495,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
What I find so fascinating about cumbia is how it has traveled so much to other countries, and how it has twisted and turned as other countries' musicians sprinkled their own flavors on it. When I lived in South Texas last year, dancing "cumbias" (not sure why people use it in the plural there) is very serious business. Some of the interpretations though have about as much in common with dancing traditional salsa as dancing salsa choque...not much...
The famous Texan singer Selena used the cumbia rythm/beat quite often, as did many other Texan artist. In Mexico I believe they called them cumbias nortenas or Tejanas.\\

Here's another Texan. It clearly has a Cumbia beat. Apprently this song was written about Selena.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:36 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post

Useless butthurt ad hominem "argument". I could say the same about the British guy living privileged life, far away from true Colombian lifestyle, and spamming all threads with Colombian related videos nobody watches. And I'm not even Boyacense.
Oh the wokey (likely Petro lover) speaks about woe's me how privileged so and so is living a life paved with gold in the UK, when plenty of (especially young) colombians wouldn't last a month working two or three jobs or doing a double shift 6 days a week. Many colombians have little clue how good they have it being coddled by mum & family and don't really know what work ethic actually means and how shallow their materialistic mindset is until they emigrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post

They are not regarded and respected by most people (they should). Ask anyone to name more than 3 songs off these artists, the majority of people won't have a clue.
Oh please that's like asking a bunch of Brits to name three poems by John Keats or three songs by Pink Floyd or three English folk songs. The vast majority of people wouldn't be able to. It doesn't mean these cultural expressions are not respected in the relevant circles.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:12 AM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
I always disliked Petro, a lot.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:41 PM

30 posts, read 22,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I know it's origins are in Colombia but it is the only music genre that seems to have wide spread popularity across latin america. Except maybe for the Caribbean islands, it seems that almost every country in latin america has or had its own cumbia scene. It is not hard to find groups doing some sort of Cumbia in every country. Some try to do what Colombians did, others add their own kind of twist on it. Other people I have talked to have said tha Salsa is more wide spread, but personally I don't think so. The irony though it seems outside of Latin America, Music from the islands is better known (salsa, bachata etc etc).

So I have a few questions about this. How do Colombians feel about their music being so popular in the rest of Latin America and other countries performing it and even adopting it as their own? Is Cumbia even popular in Colombia anymore? I have heard different things about this.

"I find it ironic that the most listened to and viewed cumbia song happens to be Mexican."
Certainly, it's quite an amusing twist of fate that amidst the diverse global music landscape, a Mexican cumbia song rises to such prominence. Cumbia, with its infectious rhythm and vibrant energy, has a way of transcending borders and captivating audiences worldwide. This phenomenon not only speaks to the universal appeal of music but also highlights the rich cultural heritage and musical prowess of Mexico. So, while it may seem ironic at first glance, it's also a testament to the undeniable allure and widespread influence of Mexican music on a global scale.

sonora dinamita is mexican colombian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-Swy46AnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k76B...X5xNT7vDV2HCgG

Old 03-04-2024, 07:55 PM

1,223 posts, read 495,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seya View Post
"I find it ironic that the most listened to and viewed cumbia song happens to be Mexican."
Certainly, it's quite an amusing twist of fate that amidst the diverse global music landscape, a Mexican cumbia song rises to such prominence. Cumbia, with its infectious rhythm and vibrant energy, has a way of transcending borders and captivating audiences worldwide. This phenomenon not only speaks to the universal appeal of music but also highlights the rich cultural heritage and musical prowess of Mexico. So, while it may seem ironic at first glance, it's also a testament to the undeniable allure and widespread influence of Mexican music on a global scale.

sonora dinamita is mexican colombian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-Swy46AnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k76B...X5xNT7vDV2HCgG
I seriously doubt those are the most well know cumbia songs. None of those come to mind when I think of cumbia. Many of them are recent. La sonora dinamita is Colombian. It was cumbia from Colmbia that spread around latin merica, not from Mexico.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:41 PM

30 posts, read 22,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I seriously doubt those are the most well know cumbia songs. None of those come to mind when I think of cumbia. Many of them are recent. La sonora dinamita is Colombian. It was cumbia from Colmbia that spread around latin merica, not from Mexico.

"It doesn't matter what one's personal opinion is; I've provided verifiable facts. I never claimed that cumbia originated from Mexico; rather, I stated that Mexico enriched cumbia. La Sonora Dinamita originated in Colombia before moving to Mexico. Its members are Mexican and Mexican-Colombian; Colombian by birth but naturalized Mexicans. Let's put it this way: La Sonora Dinamita's current base is in Mexico."
Additional information: La Sonora Dinamita is a renowned cumbia band that originated in Barranquilla, Colombia, in the 1960s. However, they gained significant popularity and success after relocating to Mexico in the early 1980s. The band's fusion of Colombian cumbia with Mexican musical elements contributed to the genre's evolution and popularity in Mexico and beyond. Today, La Sonora Dinamita remains one of the most iconic and beloved cumbia bands in Latin America, with a strong presence in both Mexico and Colombia.

like mon laferte she is chilenomexicana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas