Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 12:47 PM

42 posts, read 44,181 times

Advertisements

Latin America and the Caribbean is an official region recognized by the UN.

The concept of Latinness that people in North America have of Latin America as culturally united region doesn't exist in Latin America.

People in Latin American countries give being Latin American very little to no importance.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
noun

France is a Latin country so I don't see why it wouldn't be included.

The UK is an Anglo Saxon country. That doesn't mean that Nigeria is, despite the definite British colonial influences that exist.

Haitians are not Latin Americans, and a visit to Miami, or NYC will indicate this. Haitians do NOT live in Latin American neighborhoods, nor do most Latin Americans accept them as being Latin.

Haiti is a member of CARICOM, and is about to become a member of the African Union.

Haiti, a Caribbean country, is joining the African Union | Public Radio International

The DR is a member of the Central American Common Market. Haiti isn't, and there doesn't seem to be interest in either side that it should be.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
As for the OP's initial question - really?? The whole question is badly put, the Caribbean zone is not exclusive there are Latin countries and non-latin countries. I don't mean to be rude but maybe you should dust off the book shelf and pick up a historical encyclopedia. A children's one with pictures will do.

My reaction entirely. In fact one can argue that there even exists a Latin Caribbean culture. This consists of Cuba, DR, PR, and parts of Venezuela, Colombia, and Panama.

Elements of this can be found in Trinidad, which ironically is more "Latin" than is Haiti, though not part of Latin America, for reasons already discussed.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP's question, Bermuda and the Bahamas are not part of LatAm. Only Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico are part of Latin America in the Caribbean. Just as a side reference, nobody that lives in these countries consider ourselves latinos/as. That word only comes into use in an American and Canadian context. We refer to ourselves to our national origin when speaking outside of a North American context

As some one who used to be involved in international trade conferences, there is a definite bonding between the various Spanish speaking nations, especially when they look at the outside world.

Debatable when it comes to Brazilians, who I think feel that they have an identity which is bigger than "Latin America", given the tremendous size of that nation.

I can assure that the Hispanophones definitely saw those from the non Hispanic Caribbean (INCLUDING HAITI) as outsiders. They weren't quite sure what to make of Brazilians.

Caribbean people, within the Caribbean, have national identities, rather than a regional "Caribbean" identity. Put that person in NYC, and a very strong "Caribbean" identity emerges among the English speaking Caribbean people.

Dominicans, Puerto Ricans (and some Cubans) definitely identify with each other, when compared to Mexicans and others.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I don't think Haitians deny that their culture is a mixture of African and French though. Really, I feel that they view themselves as distinct. In fact, the French Caribbean/Kreyol Caribbean nations tend to view themselves that way...and rightfully so.

They are "Latin American" in a broad sense but too unique to simply exist under that label.

To me, acknowledging Latin culture and refer to oneself as Latino are different. The French/Kreyol Caribbean are again...distinct.

From what I can see Haitians see themselves as "Haitians". To the degree that the identify with others, it will be with the creole world (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane, as well as Dominica, St Lucia, and to a lesser degree Grenada and Trinidad).

Never seen any indication that they even identify with the DR, despite the obvious close ties between the nations. Dominicans definitely consider them to be extremely alien, I suspect more than they would a Trinidadian.

Latin has its implications in a European based culture.

Do Haitians really see their culture as European based? Or even as a starting point for their Haitian culture, as many/most Latinos do? Do Haitians consider France to have given them their foundation culture in the same way as the Dominicans look to Spain?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
This is untrue, that's just a spiel of recent times formed by Anti-US Americans.

A lot of us if not the majority consider ourselves Latinoamericanos, especially when we treat one another in inter-border situations. This becomes more profound when we meet each-other in a foreign region (i.e. Europe, Asia, Australia, etc.)

I consider myself culturally a Latinoamericano which is reduced to Latino colloquially.

I agree. And when you do, Haitians aren't included.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM

439 posts, read 521,774 times
The northern part of Panama is considered Caribbean because of all those people who came to the construction of the Canal and settle there. Most of them were from Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Bermudas, Guadaloupe and Martinique. They brought their traditions and culture with them and that is why you will find a great deal of Caribbean cuisine, music, languages, traditions, culture in that part of the country, yet, we are part of Latin America because we all speak Spanish; even though, you can find a lot of English speaking people in Panama.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
From what I can see Haitians see themselves as "Haitians". To the degree that the identify with others, it will be with the creole world (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane, as well as Dominica, St Lucia, and to a lesser degree Grenada and Trinidad).

Never seen any indication that they even identify with the DR, despite the obvious close ties between the nations. Dominicans definitely consider them to be extremely alien, I suspect more than they would a Trinidadian.

Latin has its implications in a European based culture.

Do Haitians really see their culture as European based? Or even as a starting point for their Haitian culture, as many/most Latinos do? Do Haitians consider France to have given them their foundation culture in the same way as the Dominicans look to Spain?
To consider oneself Creole is to acknowledge the mixture of French and African. To me, Haitians are very proud of their Creole/Kreyol identity and see themselves as unique.

I see them as part of Latin America just as other French/Creole nation...but not as Latinos. The French-Creole world on a whole is unique...beautifully distinct.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
I agree. And when you do, Haitians aren't included.
Not as Latinos...but they are "Latin" broadly. The Spanish and Portuguese are not the end all be all of "Latin-ness."

You cannot listen to zouk...Eric Virgal, for example, and tell me you do not hear the Latin (French) influence.

And you cannot tell me that there arent cultural differences among the English and French/Kreyol nations and those with both...due to the French vs. Anglo.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 PM

122 posts, read 113,271 times
Quote:
As some one who used to be involved in international trade conferences, there is a definite bonding between the various Spanish speaking nations, especially when they look at the outside world.

Debatable when it comes to Brazilians, who I think feel that they have an identity which is bigger than "Latin America", given the tremendous size of that nation.

I can assure that the Hispanophones definitely saw those from the non Hispanic Caribbean (INCLUDING HAITI) as outsiders. They weren't quite sure what to make of Brazilians.

Caribbeans are from non-Spanish speaking islands in the Caribbean.

Caribbean people, within the Caribbean, have national identities, rather than a regional "Caribbean" identity. Put that person in NYC, and a very strong "Caribbean" identity emerges among the English speaking Caribbean people.

Dominicans, Puerto Ricans (and some Cubans) definitely identify with each other, when compared to Mexicans and others.

Cubans are Cubans.
No sense of identification with the continent or neigbouring islands AT ALL (beyond anal propaganda), except perhaps with Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas