Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 08:17 AM

89 posts, read 505,866 times

Advertisements

We are looking into possibly relocating to Central America for retirement. Does anyone have any pros, cons, places that are better than others,etc. We were interested in Panama but are open to suggestions.

We are looking for a place that is safe, afforable and that I can ship my 2 dogs with me.

Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,085,850 times
There are threads on this under retirement. I researched this a lot and I have posts there too. Best of luck!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:39 PM

740 posts, read 1,976,716 times
I have been to Belize. It seems to be one of the more popular retirement destinations, though a bit more expensive than some of the others. Beautiful country with wonderful people. Belize is the only primarily English speaking country in all of Central America, so that is a plus. Their currency is locked in at 2 Belize dollars for every USD. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 AM

434 posts, read 1,738,884 times
I was stationed in Panama for a couple of years and I liked it. The only negatives were the heat and humidity but that is what you get in a tropical environment. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:30 AM

85 posts, read 628,392 times
Default Costa Rica

Costa Rica is the only country is Central America that I would ever live in. It is the most "developed" nation in the region with a stable government, good health care system, and most of the modern amenities that we take for granted in the US.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:38 PM

609 posts, read 2,120,698 times
I lived in Costa Rica for 3 years, Panama one year and Honduras for one year and Mexico for one year.
Overall the best would have to be Panama considering everything, prices, people, infrastucture etc, but be prepared for sticker shock. Mexico, and Costa Rica real estate equals the USA. Panama is a little cheaper but still relative expensive real estate.
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Greg

Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,037 times
It really depends on what you’re looking for.

Panama City is definitively cheaper and their infrastructure is good as long as you stick to the city center. But English is not as widely spoken as they would like to tell you and as far as I am concerned the people could be friendlier. Finally, don’t forget that A/C is a must! You’re at sea level and not that far from the equator.

With Costa Rica, well, some neighborhoods are really nice with comfortable California-like weather and gorgeous houses but their infrastructure is patchy and even though it’s cheaper than the states, it’s more expensive than Panama. I like the weather and the people better but that’s a matter of taste I guess.

As Alaskan_Adventurer points out, Belize is the only primarily English speaking country in all of Central America. Bottomline.

Here’s a website you can use to get some country facts for all of them: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html

One last thing to take into consideration: Lots of Central American countries in their real estate boom, so, take everything you read with a grain of salt!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 8,067 times
Would love to relocate to Central America! Anybody know if there is a demand in the wine industry there?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,067 times
Hi..Im wanting to relocate to Central America..What do people do for jobs? Do you know if there is demand for wine there?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:52 AM

238 posts, read 729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandra32 View Post
Hi..Im wanting to relocate to Central America..What do people do for jobs? Do you know if there is demand for wine there?

Central America and some parts of South America like Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, and Ecuador are not into wine like countries of the Cono Sur (South Cone). In fact, they are more into hard liquor like rum and anise. As for jobs, well Central American relies heavily on the agricultural sector, but also has some indutry based economy like apparel and others. South America has a little more expanded industry. For example, Venezuela has a decent mining and oil industry. Brazil has lumber, mining and technology, the latter being energy and aviation (Embraer). Chile relies on copper, wine, and agricultural. So depending on your field you must study the area very well since the industry sector in most Latin American countries are very constrained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas