Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:41 AM

23 posts, read 64,369 times

Advertisements

I am overjoyed that Rio will be hosting the Olympics. It is a beautiful city. Even though I am American, I too am sick of that American arrogance that we are better than everybody else on the planet.

I know the Brazilians will do a terrific job. I'm so happy for Brazil and President Lula. The hospitality of the Brazilians is second to none. Add to that the beaches, the beautiful weather and the incredibly beautiful people and you can see why Rio would win over dull azzed Chicago. So what if there is a high crime rate? Both the United States and the rest of the Americas are former slave-holding nations who set up racial caste systems forcing nonwhite people into dire poverty and into ghettoes and favelas. America certainly cannot condemn Rio for "ignoring" this situation while she does the same.

Obrigada Rio! I know it is an exciting time for the Cariocas.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM

597 posts, read 1,298,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
So we are all to believe a highly exaggerated view of a person who spent a few days (if any) in a certain part of a certain city as a blanket truth for an entire nation???

You are delusional.

Next time somebody from England comes to the United States and finds themselves in the worst parts of Chicago, New York, Detroit, New Orleans, etc... and attempts to paint the U.S. based on their experiences in those cities over the span of a few days... I will remember to take it as truth.

Stay holed up in your little cocoon of a life.... the world is a scary place.

Seriously, if.... IF all those things did really happen during your stay down there then you must have been staying in the heart of some ghetto and/or dealing drugs. Nobody, NOBODY ever has that much bad luck in any nation. And mind you I have been to the depths of places such as Bogota, Medellin, Tijuana, Beirut, Tripoli, and other "interesting" destinations.
Hi Ambassador,
Very good.
You are one some few I found in this forum who knows and wrote right things about Brazil really.
I agree your words.
Many people in this forum are wrong it thinking that we are barbarians. They think we are like an isolated tribe in deep jungle. They know little or nothing about us and want dissert. This kind of people just know bad their neighbourhood, and look to Brazil with bad grace.
Do you know many people from south hemisphere think Brazil's capital is Buenos Aires??

Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscravaAnastacia View Post
I am overjoyed that Rio will be hosting the Olympics. It is a beautiful city. Even though I am American, I too am sick of that American arrogance that we are better than everybody else on the planet.

I know the Brazilians will do a terrific job. I'm so happy for Brazil and President Lula. The hospitality of the Brazilians is second to none. Add to that the beaches, the beautiful weather and the incredibly beautiful people and you can see why Rio would win over dull azzed Chicago. So what if there is a high crime rate? Both the United States and the rest of the Americas are former slave-holding nations who set up racial caste systems forcing nonwhite people into dire poverty and into ghettoes and favelas. America certainly cannot condemn Rio for "ignoring" this situation while she does the same.

Obrigada Rio! I know it is an exciting time for the Cariocas.
Hi EscravaAnastácia,
That is great!
Your words are sweet melody.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,447 times
Default Congratulations Rio, but shame on you Chicago bashers!

Nevertheless, I congratulate Rio and Brazil! You guys have a bit of work to do to make the city user friendly for foreigners from around the world. Beijing did an amazing job pulling it off, but they're a totalitarian society that heeds to the commands of it's government. The government expropriated lands, razed entire slums, built highways, order people to stop spitting, littering, urinating in public and cutting queues. By 2008, Beijing, at least from the surface, looked like a world class city and hosted the olympics flawlessly.

But can Brazil, an emerging democracy, do it? Can public officials clean up the city in which they depend on the populace's vote? What about the favelas right down the road from Ipanema, Copacabana, etc. Raze them or gentrificate it? Can Rio lower crime in the city? If so, how? What about traffic and congestion and the way cariocas drive? (While it's exhilirating, but hardly safe and courteous)

In all honesty, tho, if I were to go to any olympic event, I'd go to Rio... man the beach is beautiful.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-06-2009 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: stick to the topic

Old 10-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post

Nevertheless, I congratulate Rio and Brazil! You guys have a bit of work to do to make the city user friendly for foreigners from around the world. Beijing did an amazing job pulling it off, but they're a totalitarian society that heeds to the commands of it's government. The government expropriated lands, razed entire slums, built highways, order people to stop spitting, littering, urinating in public and cutting queues. By 2008, Beijing, at least from the surface, looked like a world class city and hosted the olympics flawlessly.

But can Brazil, an emerging democracy, do it? Can public officials clean up the city in which they depend on the populace's vote? What about the favelas right down the road from Ipanema, Copacabana, etc. Raze them or gentrificate it? Can Rio lower crime in the city? If so, how? What about traffic and congestion and the way cariocas drive? (While it's exhilirating, but hardly safe and courteous)

In all honesty, tho, if I were to go to any olympic event, I'd go to Rio... man the beach is beautiful.
I you are right.
Rio de Janeiro, like many cities in the world, has a lot of problems to be attacked and solved before olimpic games.
Will be a titanic work but I believe "We will do".
Maybe this is the chance that we are waiting for a change for the better.
Our people and government are motivated and I hope Rio de Janeiro will do an "unforgettable olimpic games."
The efforts will begin right now. Those who don't belive, will surprise.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-06-2009 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,696 times
Brazil is a joke, but I have to be careful what i say,

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-11-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
I don't think I have ever heard about something like this happening in the U.S.A.

Rio de Janeiro

"A police helicopter flying over a clash between drug gangs was hit by gunfire and crashed Saturday, police said. Two officers were killed..."

...Violence also broke out Saturday in the Jacarezinho neighborhood, where a commuter bus was set on fire. Police did not have details of that event, though gangs sometimes set buses aflame to protest police operations..."

Gangs shoot down Brazil police chopper, 2 dead - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091017/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_brazil_violence - broken link)

Old 10-17-2009, 05:33 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
So the IOC passed up three technologically advanced, well planned, well thought out bids for one based on emotion and hand-wringing and macho posturing.

Great.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-17-2009 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed

Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,696 times
Look at all of the wonderful things happening In rio the last few days. They need to get their city in order and help the poor before wasting money on the olympics, which is nothing but glorified pro sports anyway.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I don't think I have ever heard about something like this happening in the U.S.A.

Rio de Janeiro

"A police helicopter flying over a clash between drug gangs was hit by gunfire and crashed Saturday, police said. Two officers were killed..."

...Violence also broke out Saturday in the Jacarezinho neighborhood, where a commuter bus was set on fire. Police did not have details of that event, though gangs sometimes set buses aflame to protest police operations..."

Gangs shoot down Brazil police chopper, 2 dead - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091017/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_brazil_violence - broken link)
Saw this. Between now and the end of the Rio Olympics headlines like this will be world news events. All eyes on on you now Rio.

(Before, all eyes were only on your bikinis. Or lack of.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas