Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:24 PM

202 posts, read 568,239 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am thinking about opening a restaurant, specializing in American Southern cuisine and barbecue, in one of the following countries: Germany, Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden or Norway.

I do Central Texas style bbq, which is mostly beef, but I'm going to learn the Carolina styles because they're very knowledgeable about pork. The quality will be fine-dining level (I'm currently in chef school) but I want the atmosphere to be relaxed and friendly, like a high quality diner or roadside cafe.

Are there any Europeans here familiar with this type of food? Do you enjoy it, and do you think it would do well in your country? Comments from any expats would be appreciated, too, of course.

I really would like to hear your honest opinions about my region's food and how it would be received, so please don't try to spare my feelings. Negative attitudes regarding my cuisine and culture are just as useful as positive, imo.

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I am an immigrant from the U.S. living in Portugal. I can't see your type of food going over in southern Europe. Local tastes can be quite parochial.

However, Ireland and the UK and much of the rest of northern Europe might be a good market...they are much more adventurous about food. It would be a plus if you could pick a restaurant theme that is already tied to something that Europeans know and like about the southern U.S., e.g. jazz, rock n roll. I think you would need to be aggressive about pushing the regional aspect of the cuisine, otherwise people may think its yet another burgers and fries type place.

I would guess that Netherlands and Germany would be good choices.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Sell ribs. Lots of ribs. Buy a Dreamland Barbecue franchise. You'll make zillions.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 36,474 times
I come from Sweden, and I'm totally 100% in love with American cuisine, especially southern. I've been to the south a couple of times and was impressed by the culinary culture to say at the least! I even brough a few recipes back home and tried to cook it myself (of course the food I make is nowhere near as good as the stuff I had in the US), and all of my family and friends loved it too!

There's a place in Stockholm that sells genuine Texan burgers, and they are doing very well. I think you'd make a killing up here.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
I prefer Brazilian Churrasco to Southern BBQ any day.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I prefer Brazilian Churrasco to Southern BBQ any day.
Is this thread about Brazilian food? If not, why don't you start your own thread. Southern BBQ is completely different from Brazilian and in its true form consists only of pork. It's like saying "I prefer Mexican tacos to German sausages any day".....

Old 12-03-2009, 11:52 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Is this thread about Brazilian food? If not, why don't you start your own thread. Southern BBQ is completely different from Brazilian and in its true form consists only of pork. It's like saying "I prefer Mexican tacos to German sausages any day".....
Thumbs Up

Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
We have lived in Europe many years, *off and on*.
Our problem, was always finding good meat that would make a decent steak.
Most of the animals there are kept for the milk production, so a lot of meat comes from other places like South America.

Whatever country you may decide on, make sure that you can import the kind of meat you need to create your specialties.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:27 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
There is an American Southern cuisine and barbecue style restaurant in NYC, which is popular with the tourists (including foreigners) as well as the locals.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:29 AM

66 posts, read 91,913 times
There's only one REAL BBK place in NYC. The owner had to pay 6 millions in installations and permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas