Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times

Advertisements

Ive spent a fair amount of time in Bolivia, I would live in Tarija in a heartbeat.
beautiful city, pleasant people, awesome weather, short drive to Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 PM

228 posts, read 483,251 times
My updated plan is pick 2 cities (or towns) and spend roughly 2-3 months in each place. We decided it would be a nice medium between staying in the same place the entire time and constantly traveling around the entire time.

I am thinking that since we are going in January, we actually would want to start out in a place like Uruguay to avoid the wet season in many other parts of South America.

Here's what I am thinking right now: spend the first half of the time in Montevideo and the second half in one of two countries: Bolivia or Ecuador. Both of them have cheap costs of living and would be a totally unique and different experience after hanging out in a coastal beach area for a few months.

I looked at many of the towns suggested by Tijlover and am finding it hard to narrow down my choices. I am torn between being in a huge and exciting (but potentially dangerous and touristy) city such as Quito or La Paz (high altitude is also a consideration), and staying in a quiter and smaller (but potentially 'boring') town.

What can anyone suggest as far as narrowing my options in Ecuador or Bolivia? If we are going to be spending the first half of the trip in a coastal environment I think we would want to be in a more mountainous region for the second half (which is why I was looking at La Paz or Quito). We are looking for some place that is relatively safe and has good access to outdoor opportunities (such as trekking) but also somewhat exciting. Any suggestions or further details of some of the town already mentioned by Tijlover?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,814 times
I would think Ecuador is the perfect fit for you. Cheap, beautiful and one of the best South American countries to learn Spanish since it is so clean(no real accents). Not to mention the sheer beauty of the country. If you are outdoor enthusiests, even better. Great surfing, white water rafting and mountain climbing. Due to the Andes mountains, you can choose your climate. Too hot? Move on up in elevation. You occasionally hear about crime, but it is mostly petty with very little violent crime. Just use basic common sense.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
It's not south but central america, but I've heard that costa rica is a pretty nice place, I hesitate between manuel antonio on the pacific side and puerto limon on the atlantic side, any feedback ?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I spent a year in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I found the Ecuadorians to be very friendly. I came to Ecuador without knowing any Spanish. But I lived with an Ecuadorian family and was speaking Spanish relatively well by the end of year. Also Ecuador was relatively cheap for an American and there are lots of places to visit including the Galapagos Islands.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Default isn't Ecuador overrated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I spent a year in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I found the Ecuadorians to be very friendly. I came to Ecuador without knowing any Spanish. But I lived with an Ecuadorian family and was speaking Spanish relatively well by the end of year. Also Ecuador was relatively cheap for an American and there are lots of places to visit including the Galapagos Islands.
I did some homework and I found Ecuador a bit...problematic.
I've read that the "Archipialago Colon" being a national park and isolated in the Pacific, the access is very expensive.
Also heard that there is a lot of insecurity in the Barrio Antiguo of Quito.
Seen pictures of Baños, "typical spa"..not so beautiful.
Sure, for trekkers , the Andes are certainly worth it , though.
But I've heard that the present government is doing a political U-turn and getting close to Chavez's Venezuela, not good either.
There are too many unanswered questions about Ecuador , as I can only travel once every 2 years or so, I think I'll skip it, I don't want to run the risk of being disappointed. I'm sure CR is a more reliable destination.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,814 times
Costa Rica has become one big and quite a bit more expansive tourist trap with crime on the rise. But if you think CR is your thing, go for it. And yes, I have been to CR.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Myself, I gravitate more to the more Indian-flavored countries of SA. I believe Ecuador is around 35-40% Indian and Bolivia is about 60%+ with their own Indian President Eva Morales. And in those countries, any number of these people don't even speak Spanish, in Ecuador it's Quecha and in Bolivia, I'm not sure what Indian language they speak. So you may run into people in those countries where you won't even be able to practise Spanish with.

As far as hostels, I don't know of a hostel where you can't cook your own food.

Again, consider climate. Coastal Ecuador will be hot, humid, muggy, and high altitude cities more comfortable, may need a blanket or light coat at night.

And consider location, don't pick a city that's too isolated, where it's too far to the next city, and in Bolivia one must consider the conditions of the roads between major cities.

Costa Rica appeals to sheepy, safety-delusional, monkey-see, monkey-do Americans. Give Americans the green light to go somewhere in the world and they can't pack the planes tight enough and get there fast enough, and then destroy the place once they get there. They're notorious for that: Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 AM

To tiljover : I know Vallarta well (and enjoy it, I must admit to my own shame) : is Costa Rica the same kind of place ? is it as secure ?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 AM

207 posts, read 809,703 times
So, SA is a better choice tha CR for reloaction from the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas