Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 AM

64 posts, read 94,849 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I made it up to Anchorage late last night. Had my first full day today. I love it! The people are so friendly. I had breakfast with a complete stranger. Left that place, ran more errands, and had coffee with another 2 complete stragers later. It's like there is a sense of respect among others up here. I'm so excited to explore and fully experience it! YAY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
welcome!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 AM

376 posts, read 832,099 times
Great! Don't let the cold weather and lack of daylight keep you from getting out and about!!! What shift are you working?? Maybe we can get together and I can show you around a few more places while you are here.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM

I am all for that! I'll be on days, 7p-7p. I don't start until the 24th, so anytime between now and then is an open go for me.

I was going to meet some people for a hike this morning but that kinda fell through. I got up early, got into the car (still a rental), and headed out for a road called Abbot. I took Boniface to Tudor, then Tudor to Elmore, and when Elmore seemed to go and go, I kinda freaked out and turned around. I just got a little intimidated by the snow and the dark, and that on top of not knowing if I was for certain going in the right direction. Seemed like the farther I went, the more hills there were. Lesson learned: Always check the distance from turn to turn. I was in fact going in the right direction, yay! I give myself credit for trying, and there's plenty of more times to come.

I've gotten into my apartment, have my internet all set up...even got groceries this morning as I encountered a Carrs on my way out of getting "unlost." Next is to get a good phone plan. I'm thinking of going through AT&T. I know how to get there too!

Now I know I'm rambling, but I can't wait for my car to arrive. It's just a Corolla, but I'm going to have studded tires placed, and hopefully this'll be all that's needed to get me out and about. I sure don't want to live in such a beautiful place and be all cooped up because I can't make it places on the streets. If I can just get those tires, I think it'll make the take offs a lot easier. Seems like so far I can spend far too long just trying to gain enough traction to take off from a stop.

Thanks for posting.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Nurse2B..woot woot you made it!!! yayayyyooooie ...yayyyy!! congrat's..wandering trips are wonderful to learn ones way around anywhere....keep up the adventurous ventures..! ummm have you thought of a blog to post pictures and keep friends, family updated??? it is free and fun an if your interested shoot me a DM and I'll help ya out!!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
LOL, your adventures will only get better! Maybe next summer you will take a trip up to Flat Top?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:49 AM

OMG, maybe...Probably! I don't know where/what that is, but it sounds like it could be fun. Heck, I'm on an adventure right now as we speak...I've never used a coin laundry before, lol!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
If you are looking at the Chucach Mountains, on the right is a flat-topped mountain. You can drive to the park and just look around at the awesome views or you can hike up to the top. It would be best to go with other people in case of sprained ankles or some other problem. Bring a camera!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Welcome, nurse!

Do you have an Anchorage street map? Good thing to have handy. I have one of those plastic ones in my car to keep handy.

Sounds like you are already meeting folks and making friends. If you like hiking, may I suggest AK Outdoors hiking group:

Alaska_Outdoors : Alaska Outdoors

They meet twice a week after work, Monday & Thursday.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 PM

Bongo, you're the second person I know now that does stuff with this group. My hospital orientation is all week, but ends at 1600, so that leaves some opportunity I'd think. If not, just keep me in the loop of when you might be going and we could maybe meet somewhere and I might talk you into letting me ride with you up the ice I have a rental car right now, and some of the places I've seen for trailheads are fine, if you at least have studded tires. My rental didn't come with those, so I'll have to wait till my car arrives and throw some on it! Plus, it is just a heck of a lot nicer being with someone who knows where they're going, the first time you hit a trailhead.

PM me and I can give you my contact info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage