Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 PM

366 posts, read 382,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Did u know it is politically incorrect to say "black person"?
Not in Alaska it isn't. And I don't think that the average black person in Alaska would take offense to being called a black person. I guess we have better things to do here than sit around and pick words apart and snivel about what is or isn't PC, and for that I am truly grateful; it's part of what makes the North what it is and I personally don't practice the type of cultural agoraphobia that permeates Cali et al. Of course I'd be one of the first people to object if the "n" word were used here but don't even think about shaking your PC finger at me for using the term "black person".

The guy asked an honest question and he's being freakin' jumped for it. Not be Alaskans though, but by people from the lower 48. Go figure.

And we spell it "you" here instead of "u", politically incorrect as that no doubt is.

Last edited by Rainy; 06-19-2007 at 11:55 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 12:49 AM

740 posts, read 1,967,041 times
Default No trouble in Anchorage.

My nieces are mixed black and white. They have no trouble at all with racism here in Anchorage. My older niece is 17 and younger 13. They were both born and raised here in Anchorage. They have just as many black friends as white and I have never heard of any trouble. I am very close to both my nieces and they pretty much tell me anything that bugs them. Btw Sunqueen, calling an African American a "black person" is very normal and accepted here, so please chill out with the "politically correct" comments. I hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 AM

33 posts, read 283,875 times
Thanks for those that honestly answered my question and defended me.. Anchorage sounds like a real happening place and is definitely in our "highly considered" cateogry for our future home!

Old 06-20-2007, 05:42 PM

137 posts, read 434,318 times
Sun queen,

Who cares about being politically correct? Wether one is politically correct or not does not equal right or wrong!

Calling a white person a Caucasian is wrong, too! to be a Caucasian one must be from the Caucausus( pardon my spelling). The Caucasians are from teh SE corner of the Black Sea!

I am German-Scots-Irish! I am not Caucasian!

You speak of the word "themselves"; themsleves is correct!

And what if the man's wife to be is not American? are you still going to "label" her African American? How about African Spaniard? African Irish? African? Why not say "black?" Black describes a color, not a race! Clortho1 said she is black, he did not describe a race, therefor ehe could not have said anything wrong by any book. here, black is an adjective! Even though he may have meant race and as it is near impossible without a DNA test to know what African tribe or people a "black" person comes from, it is more accurate to say "black" than anything else! Just like saying "white" is used! If Sun Queen you are white( if you are) are you offended when people call you white?

I am German-Scots-Irish and am proud of it, but if someone calle dme white i don't mind, I am not overly sensitive and could care less for political correctness!

Now, if I was said to be a race that I was not, then I would politly correct those in question!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:23 PM

32 posts, read 303,583 times
Interracial relationship in Anchorage is very acceptable.
Everyone i know personally is in a interracial relationship or has been in a interracial relationship.
have a friend who is samoan...she's dating a black guy.
mexican friend is dating a black guy..filipino friend is married to a black guy.
my nephew dated a black girl for a while. my white friend dated a black girl.
funny but all my black friends don't mind that I refer to them as 'black' and my white brother-in-law doesn't mind me calling him a 'white' person.
hell i don't mind being refer to as asian....

Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,901,280 times
Interesting question and interesting responses. i wonder how those who beat up on Clortho would personally react to them as a couple. He was just trying to give us a perspective to react to.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,182,014 times
I would imagine that those of us who responded in kind would treat him as we would wish to be treated.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,279,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Sun queen,

Who cares about being politically correct? Wether one is politically correct or not does not equal right or wrong!

Calling a white person a Caucasian is wrong, too! to be a Caucasian one must be from the Caucausus( pardon my spelling). The Caucasians are from teh SE corner of the Black Sea!

I am German-Scots-Irish! I am not Caucasian!

You speak of the word "themselves"; themsleves is correct!

And what if the man's wife to be is not American? are you still going to "label" her African American? How about African Spaniard? African Irish? African? Why not say "black?" Black describes a color, not a race! Clortho1 said she is black, he did not describe a race, therefor ehe could not have said anything wrong by any book. here, black is an adjective! Even though he may have meant race and as it is near impossible without a DNA test to know what African tribe or people a "black" person comes from, it is more accurate to say "black" than anything else! Just like saying "white" is used! If Sun Queen you are white( if you are) are you offended when people call you white?

I am German-Scots-Irish and am proud of it, but if someone calle dme white i don't mind, I am not overly sensitive and could care less for political correctness!

Now, if I was said to be a race that I was not, then I would politly correct those in question!
Well excuse me...I did not mean to be offensive...my intentions were to educate. Frankly I do not give a hang about color. I care about character. I don't like to see anyone put down on the basis of ethnicity even if the offense was unintentional. I was simply setting the record straight for this guy since he will be living with a woman he refers to as "black" I hope they find happiness and peace in AK or wherever they settle. If I unintentionally say something that is narrowminded toward anyone I appreciate when it is brought to my attention and I have the opportunity to make it right. Hopefully this is PC

Old 06-23-2007, 09:14 PM

366 posts, read 382,985 times
Educate? By telling me what's politically correct according to Cali standards???? I have a feeling I'm a bit more educated than you AND I know a bit more about the state I live in than you do.
Whoops. I should have typed "u" instead of "you", to prove that I'm educated.

ffs.

Sorry but a lot of us live here precisely because we aren't subject to lower 48 PC bs and self righteous finger wagging. "U" can keep it.

When my black friends ask me to call them African Americans, I will. But they haven't.

And..

Quote:
If I unintentionally say something that is narrowminded toward anyone I appreciate when it is brought to my attention and I have the opportunity to make it right
What makes you an expert on how other people should phrase things? Damn, I can't wait until you move up here and educate all us poor backwoods uneducated tundra folks on the right way of talking. However did we manage without u?

Besides, you have said something narrow minded here, and people have been bringing it to your attention.

Last edited by Rainy; 06-23-2007 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-23-2007, 09:32 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,279,789 times
Rainy I am not going any futher with u on this matter. U can write whatever way u please and think whatever u want. I bet if we start looking at educational background mine is superior to yours. Have u ever heard of diversity training? It can be a beautiful thing. This forum is about the exchange of ideas. People do not have to agree, but there is no need to take a position that belittles another person to get your point across. I am sure there is a more postive way to do that. Hope u r not offended...just educating u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage