U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:19 AM

33 posts, read 274,821 times

Advertisements

I've been reading up on good places for up and coming families to live, and Anchorage is always included. I kind of like the idea of living there, I like the scenery and the weather doesn't bother me.. and my fiance really wouldn't mind it either.

We fully plan on visiting before such a venture is taken.. but, my concern is the low black population.. My soon-to-be wife and I are a young interracial couples. She's black, and I'm white. She doesn't act like your stereotypical black person, but the color of her skin is all that matters to most. I don't know how people from Alaska are, I've never met anybody.. I've only seen the breathtaking pictures. We're both relatively young, but we're looking for some place to start a family. How would you fellow Alaskans view a couple like that? Would you get nasty comments and stares all the way, or would it be a "so-what" mentality? No sense on even visiting a place if it's going to be problematic. Of all the cities too, Anchorage is the most populous.. but I like travelling and would at some point travel most of the state. I just don't want there to be issues due to our skin colors!

We don't have college degress, but she does plan on obtaining a certificate or degree in Sonography, and I in the computer field. How do jobs fare? Cost of living in general? Is it a paradise?

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively

Old 06-19-2007, 03:47 PM

25,082 posts, read 15,297,236 times
I would just like to know how u think a stereotypical "black person" acts? I would think since u had the good taste to marry an African American u would have enough sensitivity and respect for her heritage not to make racially charged comments. If your wife is African American u cannot seperate or distinguish her from the whole all African Americans by such an offensive racial remark. U cannot let the opinions of others deterimine where u live. Alaska is the most beautiful place on earth and if u choose to live there I wish u and your wife well.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 8,911 times
I am so glad I scrolled down to read "sun queen's" response. You took the words right out of my mouth. After reading "she doesn't act like your stereotypical black person", everthing after that was a blur. But sticking with the subject and to add to what sun queen stated, if you love your soon-to-be wife, the way everyone else views an interracial couple shouldn't be a concern. You must be uncomfortable with everyone seeing you in a relationship with a black person because otherwise this wouldn't be an issue. And if you think fleeing to Alaska is going to solve all uncomfortable black-white issues with your soon to be wife, think again. There will always be some one who will disaprove. Live Life. I'm wondering if your wife knows you posted that comment. If it were me, I would definately have to question how comfortable you really are being with me. Dont be so naive to think that someone will respond to that to let you know that "Alaska is all good with interracial relationships" They can't speak for the whole city.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 PM

2,740 posts, read 8,336,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clortho1 View Post
I've been reading up on good places for up and coming families to live, and Anchorage is always included. I kind of like the idea of living there, I like the scenery and the weather doesn't bother me.. and my fiance really wouldn't mind it either.

We fully plan on visiting before such a venture is taken.. but, my concern is the low black population.. My soon-to-be wife and I are a young interracial couples. She's black, and I'm white. She doesn't act like your stereotypical black person, but the color of her skin is all that matters to most. I don't know how people from Alaska are, I've never met anybody.. I've only seen the breathtaking pictures. We're both relatively young, but we're looking for some place to start a family. How would you fellow Alaskans view a couple like that? Would you get nasty comments and stares all the way, or would it be a "so-what" mentality? No sense on even visiting a place if it's going to be problematic. Of all the cities too, Anchorage is the most populous.. but I like travelling and would at some point travel most of the state. I just don't want there to be issues due to our skin colors!

We don't have college degress, but she does plan on obtaining a certificate or degree in Sonography, and I in the computer field. How do jobs fare? Cost of living in general? Is it a paradise?

Thanks for your help!
I personally know a mixed couple as you describe (here in Alaska), and they have not mentioned any prejudice problems to me. As far as I know, there is no big problem with it here, especially in Anchorage. I'd say come on up.

Bud

Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM

137 posts, read 409,190 times
Clortho1,

I can't speak for Alaskans, but my wife isn't white either, but I am more or less! The fact is, live where both she and you want to live. The rules of society and/or lack there of are completely irrelevant. No matter where you go, people will stare; but; no matter where you go you will find those who could care less!

My wife is Chinese and I am out right hated by her whole family just because I am white, but does that bother us? Not really, no! My wife cries from time to time because she and I want a united family, but it will never happen, so most of the time we just live our lives quitely and are happy with our daughter and our child to be!

This I learned from a lifetime of having to fight hard for absolutly everything I have; no quarter has ever been sparred for me, so, what I learned is this; Make your own rules to live by and live them, no one else counts! Society may say this or may say that, but who are they to say anything one way or the other? They are just as lost as everyone else! One could say, " I have religion" I am not lost, well, fine then, but live your own way, your own values, your own goals and forget everyone else.

For example;

I live in an all Mormon town in Utah( which is most towns in Utah) and I am looked down on. I am Mormon , sure, but I believe in our original beliefs not in the current beliefs of the day. This makes me a fundamentalist; I also have long hair and a beard( a big no no in "Mormonville"). I drink tea and swear from time to time if I allow myself to get emotionally charged about this or that.

All in all, I live my way and to Hades with the rest! I accept others as friends, but not if their first thought is to judge me! If they choose to judge me then fine, let them! Its no skin off my back! I live by the "judge not, lest ye be judged" concept!

Anyway, I just thouht I'd give my two cents!;-)

I hope this helps!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM

33 posts, read 274,821 times
Whoah whoah whoah..my post was totally taken out of context. I have many black friends and I'm the farthest thing from a biggot or a racist.. and of course my wife knows I posted this, she proofread it before I asked the question!

By stereotypical, I meant how they view themselves.. baggy clothes, hip-hop music, and things like that.. watch a movie like "Friday" or "Don't Be a Menace" and you'll see what I mean.. you get a lot of that in California, and it doesn't make either of us comfortable in the area because we not only get stared at, but to have my fiance "hollered at" and other wild things.. so please, before jumping to accusations and assumptions, take that into consideration.. for Christ sakes.

Thank you Bud for your honest response. I'm not here to start some sort of war, so please just stick to my original question. I think it's simple.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 PM

137 posts, read 409,190 times
Clortho1,

I think you misunderstood what I was saying! I wasn't trying to start some war either, I was only giving a peice of advice from my end!

Last edited by kaiser; 06-19-2007 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: bad spelling

Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 PM

366 posts, read 312,730 times
I don't think that you and your wife would have a problem in Anchorage at all...

some of you might need to stop picking, ffs....if he'd said "average" black person instead of "stereotypical", you might have a point. As it is, you don't.

Quote:
Jobs...not so bad, cost of living is high but doable. It's a paradise to some and not so much to others.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,472,606 times
your personal life is none of my business............

Old 06-19-2007, 10:08 PM

25,082 posts, read 15,297,236 times
Rainy "stereotypical black person" is offensive to African Americans. Clortho1 U add insult to injury by your statement: "I mean how they view themselves" Who are "they" and how do u know how they view themselves? This statement also is also racially charged and inappropriate. Did u know it is politically incorrect to say "black person"? African American is socially acceptable. I wish your wife good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage