U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,835 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have been lurking on these boards for several months to get the lay of the land and you seem like really nice people. I am super excited to have a job promotion taking me from my native state of CA to work in Anchorage (always a dream of mine). I am bringing my Mom, brother and dogs. We will be driving up the AlCan with a trailer and 2 SUVS, have our Milepost, and a great job that I am already handling out of our SoCal corporate office. I have 20 years experience in the corporate world and am not a flake of any sort.

I am, however, finding it very difficult to rent a single family home there. I have tried in Anchorage, Eagle River and Wasilla, but it seems there is a fear of renting to outsiders and a lack of available rentals. Those listing properties for rent that I have spoken to and swapped emails with start out really nice and then they seem to get really demanding and want everything except a kidney to approve me. I was hoping someone could give me some helpful hints.

I have spoken with property mgmt companies & homeowners and sent completed applications, paid $100 processing fees, sent pictures of myself, family, dogs, picture of DL, SS#, and everything but a DNA sample and am yet to find a successful outcome. I have a great job and am a responsible, non-smoking, non-drinking, homeowner for the past 13 years. Trying to figure out if this is typical in Alaska or just current fear related to the economy and scammers out there. Unfortunately, I am 3500 miles away trying to secure a home and cannot be there to shake hands and introduce myself in person.

I myself have been a landlord for many years and have never asked so much of one of my renters, and they have all turned out to be great. I am coming to Anchorage no matter what and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same frustration or if a native there could give me a clue as to how I could approach this situation. I did read a post on Craigslist entitled "I have to kill my dog" because he couldn't find anyone to rent to him either.

Thank you in advance for being kind (hint, hint). I am simply a single female, making a major change to a beautiful new place and need some help finding a 3 bedroom property to rent with dogs. I appreciate your input! Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,329,947 times
I wonder if something incorrect popped up on a background check? You might want to run a check on yourself just to make sure...landlords in Anchorage are very careful I've noticed. I've never seen anywhere else so particular so it is not just you...

Old 07-17-2010, 07:27 PM

18,973 posts, read 14,820,251 times
Alaskans are private people IMO. Thousands of people talk about moving up and some do. Until your feet are here and they can look into your eyes you will probably have a hard time. Try this one if you have not already. He has places all over town. Good luck, smile and make nice. Probably not a problem for ya. =)

Great Land Realty - Patrick Teagarden, Realtor

11411 Old Glenn Highway
Eagle River, AK 99577
(907) 694-9125

Old 07-18-2010, 01:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,405,136 times
I agree, it might be easier once you are here. We manage to find a place within 3 days of arriving back in Anchorage (not the best place but it was a roof over our heads until we could upgrade)

Good Luck! What is your price range and when are you wanting to come?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,279,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8vcaligrl View Post
Hello All,

I have been lurking on these boards for several months to get the lay of the land and you seem like really nice people. I am super excited to have a job promotion taking me from my native state of CA to work in Anchorage (always a dream of mine). I am bringing my Mom, brother and dogs. We will be driving up the AlCan with a trailer and 2 SUVS, have our Milepost, and a great job that I am already handling out of our SoCal corporate office. I have 20 years experience in the corporate world and am not a flake of any sort.

I am, however, finding it very difficult to rent a single family home there. I have tried in Anchorage, Eagle River and Wasilla, but it seems there is a fear of renting to outsiders and a lack of available rentals. Those listing properties for rent that I have spoken to and swapped emails with start out really nice and then they seem to get really demanding and want everything except a kidney to approve me. I was hoping someone could give me some helpful hints.

I have spoken with property mgmt companies & homeowners and sent completed applications, paid $100 processing fees, sent pictures of myself, family, dogs, picture of DL, SS#, and everything but a DNA sample and am yet to find a successful outcome. I have a great job and am a responsible, non-smoking, non-drinking, homeowner for the past 13 years. Trying to figure out if this is typical in Alaska or just current fear related to the economy and scammers out there. Unfortunately, I am 3500 miles away trying to secure a home and cannot be there to shake hands and introduce myself in person.

I myself have been a landlord for many years and have never asked so much of one of my renters, and they have all turned out to be great. I am coming to Anchorage no matter what and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same frustration or if a native there could give me a clue as to how I could approach this situation. I did read a post on Craigslist entitled "I have to kill my dog" because he couldn't find anyone to rent to him either.

Thank you in advance for being kind (hint, hint). I am simply a single female, making a major change to a beautiful new place and need some help finding a 3 bedroom property to rent with dogs. I appreciate your input! Thanks.
We started up here with Weidner Properties because they take dogs & cats, which we have. You can get as short of a lease as you want from them & then look for something else if you choose. It's hard to find landlords up here who will rent to one dog, much less dogs.

http://www.weidner.com/weidnerapartm...ce=&Community=

Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,835 times
Default Thanks for your answers Guys!

I appreciate the input. I am planning on coming up within the next 4 weeks ready to move in when I arrive. I found a place in Eagle River that is not the most desireable, but the dogs might not be an issue (currently under consideration). My range is up to $2400 mo. and prefer 3 or more beds, 2 baths.

I only have to sign a six (6) month lease on the one I found, which I figured would give me time to get up there and get a good idea of where I ultimately would prefer to be.

How bad is a carport in the winter? Be honest! Is it doable?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM

2,765 posts, read 5,012,126 times
"How bad is a carport in the winter? Be honest! Is it doable?"

I
went 10 years with out a garage or carport. A couple of the years without a plug in for the block heater. My truck still runs fine.
But, now that I have the heated garage, it would be hard to go back to cold vehicles covered in snow!

At least the carport would keep most of the snow off.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,279,990 times
We had a carport for 4 years, running an extension cord for a plug-in for the block heater. It certainly is a step up from no carport LOL! And it makes a heated garage so appreciated.

So glad you found a place n8vcaligrl! We lived in Eagle River for a year. Hope it works out for you with the dogs.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM

18,973 posts, read 14,820,251 times
Good for you. I bet once here you can easily get a 3/2 with heated garage for less. Take a look at The Eagle River area off Driftwood Bay. Lots of homes and condos with garages. For myself, I would not want to be without one but hey that's just me.

In order of luxurious necessities in winter

Studded Tires
Heated Garage
Remote ON/OFF for vehicle
Fog lights
Chocolate.

Oh and be sure to get the window washer with -40 below fluid when you winterize =)

Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,582,048 times
Before my daughter moved on base we lived off of Driftwood Bay in Eagle River. Awesome neighborhood. I only wish my truck would have fit on the garage. It sure was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage