U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 AM

6 posts, read 8,206 times

Advertisements

My family and I currently live in south Alabama on the gulf coast. I have been in Law Enforcement for 7 years and currently A patrol Sergeant I am in the process of looking at Law enforcement jobs in Alaska. After talking with numerious people that have visited Alaska it sounds like my calling. I love the outdoors and very good at southern cooking. Tied of the heat in the south but I'm not to educated with snow (lol)

All that being said any comments would be great. It will be a long and hard process getting a job, moving the family and learning the ways but I think it will be well worth it.

Ready to go fishing, hunting, freezing to death and enjoy the clean outdoors with my family.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 AM

635 posts, read 1,515,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason251 View Post
My family and I currently live in south Alabama on the gulf coast. I have been in Law Enforcement for 7 years and currently A patrol Sergeant I am in the process of looking at Law enforcement jobs in Alaska. After talking with numerious people that have visited Alaska it sounds like my calling. I love the outdoors and very good at southern cooking. Tied of the heat in the south but I'm not to educated with snow (lol)

All that being said any comments would be great. It will be a long and hard process getting a job, moving the family and learning the ways but I think it will be well worth it.

Ready to go fishing, hunting, freezing to death and enjoy the clean outdoors with my family.
So far...my research as shown me that southern Alaska has milder winters. I hear Juneau is like Seattle, WA. (rainy, overcast on many days). I had to laugh at your "snow" comment. I have been reading the posts and researching Alaska for almost a year now. My situation is much different that yours being that it would just be my son (14) and I moving. My degree is in Psychology and have considered doing probation and parole.

I was looking at different websites of Nome, Barrow, and Bethel and saw some awesome pictures of fish, you might take a peek. You'll get great advice on this forum. Be prepared to get some heckles about not being accustomed to colder "snow" weather. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Snow? (lol) All I see is rain,lightning and hurricanes... Yes I have seen the pic. of the fish dream of a life time for me. my wife and I have two girls 3yrs and 1yr old She has her own business called the Posh Tot a consignment store for infants to size 9 youth. I would love to get on with the Troopers in Alaska which I am the process of looking into. My wife and I have talked about this for a while. Due to my Law enforcement back ground I shouldn't have a hard time getting a job. Looking to meet some Troopers to get info.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 35,009,940 times
When you are new to the AST, they will place you off the road system first, which means Bush Alaska. After a few years you will get to choose where you want to work.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:06 PM

That's ok.. Thanks for the info. It looks like it might be May 2011 before I can apply

Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 PM

376 posts, read 766,431 times
Just keep in mind, that bush Alaska is very rural/frontier. I am a traveling public health nurse. I have visited with some of the troopers at a few of the villages I travel too. The travel in Bush Alaska is more flying, snow mobiles, or 4 wheelers. There is not a road system in the Western part of Alaska. It will be an experience if you should try it. As someone said, you would probably be in Bush Alaska first. I can't think of anyone in particular right now for you to talk to, but keep trying. One of troopers I talked to within the past few months said they need more troopers here. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks so much!!! I have a strong family and can handle and situation. As for the bush yes it would be an experience but it's time for a change. I'm a very outdoors person been that way all my life. But the snow and ice would be very new to me.. lol

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 AM

2,728 posts, read 4,843,935 times
Is it possible to make a trip up here for visit? Seeing it first hand might give you a better idea of what life here is like.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Yes, in the process of planning a trip. If Can land the job in 2011 I will be the only one moving for several years. At first I was going to move the whole family But due to the business my wife has it would be best for her to stay south for a while.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 PM

376 posts, read 766,431 times
It would be good to come up here and visit first, with the family! Have you thought about when you were going to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage