U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 8,672 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the Anchorage/Eagle River area in October. I have read this site for several months, and have learned so much from you all.
My question is concerning clothing, specifically clothing for my children. We are from Texas, and have visited Alaska, but haven't spent a great deal of time there. I was hoping someone could help me out with what kids typically wear to school in the winter. My kids are 5 and 8, and come from a school district requiring uniforms. I am not sure where to start with school clothes shopping for them! I will be driving them to school, but I assume they will spend time outdoors for recess, etc, during the school day.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 PM

36 posts, read 60,851 times
I don't personally live in alaska right now, but I know how to dress for cold weather conditions.

Start with a base layer, NOT COTTON, tight/snug fitting.
typically after that is a fleece layer, then an outer shell layer. Sometimes when we are skiing we'll use a turtleneck or something like that (not cotton) over the base layer, and under like a fleece vest under the outer shell (waterproof)

layer layer layer!! you can always put more on to get warm, you can only take so much off. otherwise on the not so cold days, essentially jeans, a shirt and a good warm coat. but be careful with anything cotton in the snow. cotton works like an oil lantern wic and takes that cold water up like a sponge and then clings to your skin like mad. Can we say frostbite?? or hypothermia?? There's little in this world that is worse than finding a kid frozen to death in the snow in dungarees and a hoodie (working ski patrol I have actually seen that)

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM

2,740 posts, read 4,880,008 times
The public schools don't require uniforms. To play out on the playgrounds at recess they must have snow pants, winter boots, a jacket, gloves and a hat that covers their ears.
Personally I would wait until you get here to buy the stuff. That way you don't have to move it. It won't be too cold in October yet, so you'll have a little time to get the stuff.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,177,094 times
I'm an elementary school teacher in Anchorage. The kids wear the same sort of stuff to school that kids wear all over the country to match their personal styles: jeans, long-sleeve t-shirts, sweat shirts, hoodies, skirts with tights, sweaters, sweat pants etc. Add a warm jacket for fall & late spring recess. Then for winter recess they pull over their school clothes snow pants, snow boots, snow jacket, warm hats & gloves. We go out to recess in Anchorage down to minus 10 or so.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM

6,283 posts, read 9,547,607 times
Wow -10!!!! We stay in when it's in the 50s and windy. Forget it if its in the 40s.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 PM

376 posts, read 768,925 times
Depending on the area, your children might ride a bus. They need to dress warm for waiting on the bus. I agree, you should buy some of the stuff when you get here. There is usually something at the thrift stores to get you started too.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 8,672 times
Thanks to everyone for the very helpful advice!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM

3,767 posts, read 8,209,164 times
Were not in Alaska, but MN in winter is no joke either for someone from Florida. Some tips I have learned. Get jackets with hoods - they are great double purposed, get a bit of layering type tshirts. Get a number of gloves with the clips so they are easier to keep track of; keep an eye on Columbia products they are lightweight but pack a nice warm punch - i got great jackets at Marshalls for $20; Make their winter caps cover ears and have that type of flexibility; and most importantly wait to buy - you will get a better sense of what you need and what suits the kids as the season progresses - I ended up returning tons of stuff.

Oh! if you can find a lands end inlet - go go go!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,349,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
We go out to recess in Anchorage down to minus 10 or so.
Wimps! In the Interior kids play outside until it hits -20F.

The winter in Anchorage is very similar to most cold places in the rest of the US. Nothing ultra fancy is needed for winter here. Coats, snow pants, hats, gloves, good boots, etc.a

Should be able to buy that stuff from any major store. Oh and PS: some public schools do have uniform requirements. You need to check with the particular school you are going to send your kids to.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,796,442 times
Just as a reminder, the OP is coming from Texas and may not be familiar with winters in northern parts of the lower 48, either. I'd imagine if they were moving to Minnesota they'd be asking for the same advice, because things like snow pants aren't part of most Texans' vocabularies.

From another Texan who's visited winter but is about to learn what real winter is, Land's End seems to make good stuff for a decent price (don't forget you can buy it at Sears), and Columbia and North Face can be found on sale, especially online, pretty frequently. Layers and synthetic materials are key for anything involving any exertion: you don't want them to overheat and sweat and then get cold because they're wet. Unless you're from south Texas they should have enough sweaters, etc. for the average temps in October, so you might wait until you're up here to buy much. Don't forget that Amazon ships a lot of stuff for free.

Edit: Just noticed your handle. I'm from just north of Fort Worth! Are you from there or did you just go to TCU and stick around afterwards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage