U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 20,739 times

Advertisements

Hi! We will be relocating back to Anchorage, Alaska in late spring of 2011. My husband and I lived there 16 years ago and will be moving back with our now 10 year old daughter. My husband had to get work back on the oil fields about 2 years ago due to our economy and the lack of jobs in our small Arizona town.
Sometimes, we are very clear and feel very good about our decision to move back up there. We both still have friends up there. Sometimes, we feel like we have absolutely lost our minds to have made the decision to move back there. We remember the lack of roads, the feeling of isolation, the long, dark winters. On the positive side- we remember the sense of community (yes, even in Anchorage), the many outdoor activities, the good restaraunts, the beauty.
I am mostly concerned about the schools for my daughter. She will be entering middle school soon and although we live in Arizona ('nuf said about education) she has had a good education so far.
Any information about schools, neighborhoods, etc would be welcomed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 AM

17,370 posts, read 13,797,171 times
Your questions and ambivalence are indications (at least to me) that a personal trip up here with your family would be essential to making up your mind. Once here you can meet school representatives look at neighborhoods around the schools and check out areas you may want to live. I think given the importance of education and a potential move you will be served by coming here and looking around to help you decide.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:35 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,170,516 times
What are the kids like at her old school? Seems like the kids at my daughter's school in Anchorage were pretty wild. Of course maybe all middle schoolers are like that, it is hard to know. As far as education, I think the schools are fine. They have a nice band/orchestra program and make instruments available to kids at a very low price. Check out more about Anchorage schools on the ASD website.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM

Gobrien- She is in elementary school right now. Kids in her school are still pretty well-behaved, certainly not wild. Here middle school starts in 6th grade-we have 2 middle schools and both have their pros and cons. I have checked out the ASD website -it's overwhelming because there are so many different schools! Just from checking the site out a little bit- I'm pretty impressed so far but I know things can look better on paper.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,086,952 times
Idnsch3,

I highly recommend that you check out Goldenview Middle School in south Anchorage. They made AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress/ NCLB) in all areas this year. The school boundaries encompass some very nice neighborhoods.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM

AADAD- Thanks for the advice. I woudn't say it's ambivalence as much as it's wanting to be sure that I/we are not romanticizing Alaska. After all, it's where my husband and I met, fell in love, got married, bought our first house. Returning now is much difference - we are older and we have a child.
The majority of the time - we are excited to be coming back to Alaska- Alaska has a way of getting in one's blood. I just want to make sure - Anchorage is still a decent town and a good place to raise a child with safe neighborhoods and good schools.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,492,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldnsch3 View Post
AADAD- Thanks for the advice. I woudn't say it's ambivalence as much as it's wanting to be sure that I/we are not romanticizing Alaska. After all, it's where my husband and I met, fell in love, got married, bought our first house. Returning now is much difference - we are older and we have a child.
The majority of the time - we are excited to be coming back to Alaska- Alaska has a way of getting in one's blood. I just want to make sure - Anchorage is still a decent town and a good place to raise a child with safe neighborhoods and good schools.
Anchorage, like any town, has its good spots and bad spots. Stay away from Clark and Begich Middle schools. Stay away from Wendler and Romig too if you can.

Anchorage is, for the most part, a family friendly town. I sure hope you like to do things outside, because there is not a lot of variety of things to do inside. There is the museum, performing arts center and ...... aviation museum. My favorite past time while living there was snowmachining, camping, wheelin' and fishing.

Please note, it is very likely your kids will be experimenting with Pot no matter which school they go to. Marijuana is very common in Alaska and middle school i sthe age where a lot of kids are introduced to it. You need to be prepared to deal with that when the time comes.

There is also a lot of drinking in Anchorage. Just make sure you know your kids' friends and be active in their lives. Do not leave them alone with nothing to do after school and everything should be fine.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 AM

6 posts, read 13,740 times
Anchorage is still definitely a great place to live and raise kids. I move out in May (and am SERIOUSLY considering moving back this next spring).
South Anchorage would definitely be my choice. The Valley has changed a lot, but there are still good areas and schools. My grandsons have gone to Ptarmigan Elementary and we've all been pretty impressed. Like any state, city, school system, parents need to be involved in their children's lives.
Yes, Anchorage has gangs, but nothing like what's in the Lower 48. All things considered, I can't think of a better place to raise kids than Alaska.
I'm questioning myself now why I ever left! Good luck to you, and who knows, maybe I'll run into you on the drive up!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 PM

Hi Stormy!

Thank you for your post. The feedback we are getting (from the people my husband works with) are saying south side also. We lived in Turnagain when we lived in Anchorage in the past. [I wonder how that area is these day? We are getting more and more excited about the move. Plan to head up at the end of May- beginning of June.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:32 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,492,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldnsch3 View Post
Hi Stormy!

Thank you for your post. The feedback we are getting (from the people my husband works with) are saying south side also. We lived in Turnagain when we lived in Anchorage in the past. [I wonder how that area is these day? We are getting more and more excited about the move. Plan to head up at the end of May- beginning of June.

Turnagain is a good area as well, so is Bayshore. The bad areas that were bad when you were there before are.... still bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage