U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 AM

868 posts, read 1,328,621 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

I moved here in August, and found myself in a bad situation. I got taken in by a family who could offer me their garden shed as a bedroom, with access to the rest of the house, for $400 a month. They have always said I should leave by the end of the month because it is not safe to stay there longer, even with a space heater. I thought that was a warning, but just learned tonight that it is a hard deadline, an eviction notice.

I have one little dog and some cats, and they are my life. I am having a hard time finding a place to go that will allow me to keep them. The cats are all litter-trained, the dog will be crated while I am at work. I am new to Alaska, and awaiting my second paycheck on Oct. 22. Some some other funds will be coming shortly, so a security deposit is not a problem if you can wait a few days.

I am clean and respectful, and would be happy to help with cooking or household chores, I just need a place to stay with my babies, and I need it soon.

Can anyone help me, please? I will do my best to make sure you never regret it.

I am real. It was foggy this morning, with patches of black ice around town.

I would like to spend no more than $600/month, but that figure is negotiable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,309,445 times
A garden shed??

Wow, I wish I could offer some help but I'm a few hundred miles from you.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 AM

24,155 posts, read 24,736,143 times
There are a lot of rooms available on craigslist that allow pets and are asking $600 or less.

anchorage rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

Old 10-13-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There are a lot of rooms available on craigslist that allow pets and are asking $600 or less.

anchorage rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
I wouldn't call it *a lot*, at least not in Anchorage. There are a few, and am in touch with a couple of people there, but I have also encountered a lot of scams and bots and people whose replies were come-ons for other sites.

But yeah, I kinda live on craigslist these days, looking for a place.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 PM

204 posts, read 451,463 times
Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I'm on campus in Fairbanks, otherwise I'd offer you a place to stay. If you're willing to move, I can look around for rooms for rent in this area if you want. Also, I know for a fact that there are dry cabins in this area for about $475ish a month.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,999,904 times
How far out are you looking? You may have to take on a longer commute, but that's a lot better than being homeless in the winter.

Also, I sympathize with you about your pets, but if worse comes to worse, being out on the street with them isn't doing them any favors either. Being separated is much better than all of you being homeless.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 PM

19,888 posts, read 15,533,222 times
perhaps you could get some emergency housing. do you work have $. not to intrude but you kinda showed up all of a sudden if you know what I mean?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:00 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,396,387 times
It sounds like you are in desperate need of a rental that takes pets-

There are apartments on Tudor at Checkmate that advertise that they take pets.

Also, Weidner Properties takes pets.

If you get really desperate, talk to the folks at the animal shelter regarding temporary shelter for your animals.

Good luck! I'm concerned about someone who moved up here & ended up in a garden shed in October. Keep us posted as to how you are.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM

45 posts, read 137,008 times
my husband and I have a place we are looking to rent. I tried to send you a private message, but that function doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
perhaps you could get some emergency housing. do you work have $. not to intrude but you kinda showed up all of a sudden if you know what I mean?
I do have a full-time job, and yes, I am a relative newcomer here, but I have been posting since sometime in July, if memory serves. I am not sure what happened to my earliest posts, I can't seem to find them. I joined the forum before I relocated, and have found it very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz98144 View Post
my husband and I have a place we are looking to rent. I tried to send you a private message, but that function doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
I got your message today, thank you! You have replies waiting in a couple of venues.

EDIT: I was able to find a thread I started on July 17, about moving my car here. That, fortunately, has been accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage