U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,355,827 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I have an odd question but I am bothered by it so It must be somewhat important.
So, my kids tell me almost daily that the high school they attend runs out of food before all the kids are fed.
Now, I realize that they are big kids, can pack their own lunches and some of the older kids (grades 10 and up) are allowed off campus for lunch. But What about the kids on free/reduced lunches?? Shouldn't the schools have AT LEAST enough to cover all those kids? Assuming of course that the kids that qualify for free/reduced lunch might not have a lot of food at home. For some of these kids, the school lunch might very well be their only meal of the day!

What can we (I) do about this? Who should be contacted? And is this happening at more then just one high school in town?

Thanks guys.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,250,178 times
The department that handles Nutrition services is in the main ASD headquarters. It's distressing! I think kids on free/reduced only get certain menu items to select from, and everything else is ala carte. They are probably trying to avoid food waste but I think the school should cut costs in an unsubsidized area first. They probably have too high of admin costs but they shouldn't make kids do without food.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 AM

4,986 posts, read 9,138,302 times
You are correct, the school lunch program is meant to feed the kids from families who are otherwise not finacially able to fully support themselves. They get short-changed when kids who don't need to, take meals they could afford by other means. The parents of the kids who can afford lunches should have the ethics and personal responsibility to care for their own kids needs and not to take advantage of the progrm. It's part of the f'ing entitelment mentality of this country to try and sponge off the system in any way possible and not even give it a second thought. And of course, what kind of lessons are these kids learning?

Same thing with the f'ing school busses. Half of the parents drive their kids to the bus stops and wait there in their cars with the engine running. Why don't they just drive their lazy arses the rest of the way to the school? Instead they are perfectly willing to stick it to the taxpayers to pay to get their kids to school.

Don't get me started.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post

Same thing with the f'ing school busses. Half of the parents drive their kids to the bus stops and wait there in their cars with the engine running. Why don't they just drive their lazy arses the rest of the way to the school? Instead they are perfectly willing to stick it to the taxpayers to pay to get their kids to school.

Don't get me started.
Well we have done this a time or 2 in Delta Junction but we also lived 30 miles from the school and it was -45.
But here in Anchorage? Yeah, I know what you mean.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,250,178 times
You have to provide proof of income or a food stamp case I.D. to get on that program, if you know of abuses to the program please report it. I could imagine people park and wait for the bus because it takes forever to drop them off due to traffic congestion and may make them late for work and you can't drop them off early because the doors are locked. They may also have another child who goes to a different school-at a later time. I'm glad to hear people are watching over their kids, it is dark and lonely out there and there is a predator on the loose preying on kids walking to school.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,593,085 times
Are you saying there are parents that drive their high school kids to the bus stop and let them wait in the car until the bus arrives? I can understand younger kid, but high schoolers? Looks like America is raising a generation of wussies... ugh.

When riding the bus during school in Anchorage I was never driven to the bus stop, let alone sat in a nice warm car at a bus stop. In fact, with my daughter when she was in K, we would walk to the bus stop and wait together until the bus arrived.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Are you saying there are parents that drive their high school kids to the bus stop and let them wait in the car until the bus arrives? I can understand younger kid, but high schoolers? Looks like America is raising a generation of wussies... ugh.

When riding the bus during school in Anchorage I was never driven to the bus stop, let alone sat in a nice warm car at a bus stop. In fact, with my daughter when she was in K, we would walk to the bus stop and wait together until the bus arrived.

This thread has certainly evolved! I'm thinking MW was referring to younger kids and the bus stops but I started out complaining about the HIGH SCHOOL lunch program.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
You have to provide proof of income or a food stamp case I.D. to get on that program, if you know of abuses to the program please report it. I could imagine people park and wait for the bus because it takes forever to drop them off due to traffic congestion and may make them late for work and you can't drop them off early because the doors are locked. They may also have another child who goes to a different school-at a later time. I'm glad to hear people are watching over their kids, it is dark and lonely out there and there is a predator on the loose preying on kids walking to school.

Go,

I'm not sure if there is abuse or not. Not all the kids that eat lunch are on the free/reduce program. But the point is, is that the school literally runs out of food every day and some of the kids do not get a lunch at all. Some of those kids are in fact on the free/reduced lunch program and could be going hungry because the school has run out of food before they were served.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM

4,986 posts, read 9,138,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

I see them of all ages, in all temps and seasons Usually on my way to work driving down the hillside - not exactly the poorest part of town.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Oh, update!

Me:
Quote:
Suggestion:The one thing I would change about the ASD's food
service program is to ensure there is enough food available for
the students! Everyday my kids come home from Bartlett High
School and tell me that the school ran out of food again.
How can this happen when you have students on the Free/Reduced
Lunch program that are not getting a lunch at all or just some
cold french fries? If the schools run out daily before all the
students in line have received a meal, then don't you think it
would be wise to order up more food for that school?
Reply:
Quote:
Tammy, concerned about your email, I spoke to the manager at Bartlett. She said they never run out of lunches however,
sometimes they run out of the item that the student may desire.
I am sorry, we do try to meet the requests of all the students we
serve. You did not give the names of your children at Bartlett.
If they are S***** and M***** we show them receiving meals daily.
Please let me know if I can answer anymore of your questions.
Ardene Eaton
Student Nutrition
Me:
Ardene,
Quote:
Thank you for your swift reply.

My children
are S***** and A*****.
A***** is in the 9th grade and tells me very
often, that this is the case. He says the only thing left might be cold french
fries or nothing at all. He said he is not the only one.
I will ask him again to
be sure.
S***** does get meals regularly and is a Junior.

Thank you
Reply:
Quote:
[LEFT]Please let both of your children know that they need to speak to the cafeteria manager if there are no meals out. She has said they do not run out. Keep me posted.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Ardene[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage