Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 32,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Blue....same troll post in the Berkeley forum. Mommy and Daddy must be down with the flu or some such.

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...l#post17902121
YOU ARE SUCH A h8888888888888888888888888R GIRLFRIEND
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:59 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
cross posting is against TOS rules isn't it??? should be reported and banned for doing it!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 9,115 times
There are some tents at "Ship Creek" off of Reeves Road between Post Road and Commercial Drive... Last year the city moved them out, there was two tents but now there is only one... I'm not sure, but I think the other tent owner passed away... God bless and I wished I could help somehow.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsdrivein View Post
I'm starting to plan for my second trip to Alaska from Tennessee. I drove up last summer, worked in Nome and stayed in Anchorage for a while before leaving for home, but only made it to the Yukon because my car caught on fire! But anyway, I stayed in hotels and hostels mostly in anchorage, but this time I'm looking to stay there for about a month or two and can't afford the same lodging. So, I'm looking for any place relatively near Anchorage (within 10 miles or so or anywhere on a public transportation route) that would have free or cheap tent camping available. I've always heard that state parks have free camping anywhere within a certain distance away from the pay campsites, but I can't really find any info on that on their website. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
You can call these locations to see if they have what your looking for.. God bless...

SERVICES: PLACES TO STAY : CAMPGROUNDS AND RV PARKS Close All [-]

STATEWIDE (1)
ALASKA CAMPGROUND OWNERS ASSOCIATION
ACOA Alaska Campgrounds Owners Association Home Page

PO Box 111005
Anchorage, AK 99511
Phone907) 339-9082
Toll Free:866- 339-9082

~~~~~~~

Alaskan Trails and RV park - Wasilla is at least 35-40 miles away from Anchorage.
Wasilla907-376-5504

More InfoAnchorage RV Park
Anchorage800-400-7275

More InfoBig Bear RV Park
Wasilla907-745-7445

More InfoCreekwood Inn
Anchorage800-478-6008

More InfoGolden Nugget Camper Park
Anchorage907-333-2012

More InfoJohn's Motel & RV Park
Anchorage907-277-4332

More InfoShip Creek Landings RV Park
Anchorage907-277-0877

Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
People with RVs are allowed to camp for free on Anchorage School District school grounds in the summer, I don't remember the details but it helps them prevent vandalism and tresspassing to have eyes open at the schools.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsdrivein View Post
So, I'm looking for any place relatively near Anchorage (within 10 miles or so or anywhere on a public transportation route) that would have free or cheap tent camping available.
Of possible use:

Free Campgrounds for RVs (note: not just for RV's as name of link implies)

Bureau of Land Management (especially) and the US Forest Service (emphasis Forest not Park Service) widely allow the practice of "dispersed camping" on BLM and Park land, especially in certain areas of the country (west and southwest).

You can look up the terms dispersed camping as well as boondocking (if not familiar with them), as there is a lot of stuff available about that on the Internet, including a few of the rules (which are not even really much enforced in some places, but following them otherwise is fairly straightforward).

RV/motorhome type websites have a lot of good information on this kind of thing which is broadly applicable to different groups of people, not just people with fancy RV's..... A lot of wisdom to be found on camping and living cheap, to free, on these kind of sites because when you live life on the road like retirees and others who enjoy that lifestyle, minimizing bills is paramount. Hence, RV folks tend to know almost every trick in the book when it comes to free campgrounds. They have big lists and databases compiled on some of the sites, to aid fellow RV folks who are on the road, go from place to place.

I have a bunch of links on free camping (both at private campgrounds and public land), I'll see if I can dig them up for you.... it's written down in a notebook where I jot down assorted notes.... stuffed it somewhere.... just have to go find it.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 02-28-2011 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
I'm not aware of anything REALLY cheap anywhere in Anchorage.

Bingo. State parks (State parks are pay to stay per night) and as the above noted, BLM land are going to be the cheapest thing around, but there isn't much of that in/around Anchorage that's clear to camp in. You probably don't want to try to blend with the local homeless camps or you might find yours cleared out and gone by the city or your fellow campers. Absolutely watch those camp fires if you do come. Beetle kill areas are an inferno waiting to happen. One spark, a little wind and the whole shebang could go up in smoke for days or months.

Personally, I'd wait it out another year or two until you have a better funding situation. Alaska is no place to get stuck without $$$'s, transportation and/or a job and frankly our local helping hand charities are up to their eyeballs with the locals that are down on their luck.

Best wishes.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
This may be as cheap as you can find. Just don't leave anything out that you don't want stolen....

Centennial Park, Anchorage

Camping

Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,039 times
Default Free Alaska campgrounds for RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Of possible use:

Free Campgrounds for RVs (note: not just for RV's as name of link implies)

RV/motorhome type websites have a lot of good information on this kind of thing which is broadly applicable to different groups of people, not just people with fancy RV's..... A lot of wisdom to be found on camping and living cheap, to free, on these kind of sites because when you live life on the road like retirees and others who enjoy that lifestyle, minimizing bills is paramount. Hence, RV folks tend to know almost every trick in the book when it comes to free campgrounds. They have big lists and databases compiled on some of the sites, to aid fellow RV folks who are on the road, go from place to place.

I have a bunch of links on free camping (both at private campgrounds and public land), I'll see if I can dig them up for you.... it's written down in a notebook where I jot down assorted notes.... stuffed it somewhere.... just have to go find it.
I'm looking for help in finding free places to stay while we RV in Alaska.
Denali, Anchorage, Homer, Seward etc.
Please post some links if you have them!
Also, any personal experience or advice is welcome!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 PM

136 posts, read 481,081 times
can you drive to Alaska from the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage