Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 02:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,187 times

Advertisements

I'll be renting an apartment in midtown Anchorage for a few days on West 27th Avenue. After booking the apartment, I thought to look at the complex using Google Street View. At this point, I became somewhat skeptical of the overall neighborhood safety, especially for walking at night.

Even though I'm sure most of you know what W. 27th Ave looks like, here's where I got my impression from:

https://www.google.com/maps/@61.1963...EJ7UJdF2aQ!2e0

I'll be staying by myself and this three day stay will be after a two-week trek in the mountains, so I'd really like to relax rather than having to watch my back because I'm in a questionable neighborhood.

By the way, I did look up a crime map and saw that the immediate area isn't riddled with crime. Either way, I'd love to hear from someone who has experience in the area. What are your thoughts on the safety of this location?

Any and all insight is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I think safe. Common sense. You really don't need to worry about the darkness so just like any small city keep your eyes open. If you are really concerned carry bear spray. But having lived closely to there I did not see anything which concerned me at the time. If you are still anxious....stay in Eagle River.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
While not the greatest neighborhood, during the daytime I doubt if you will have any problems walking about alone. Not sure if I would be out walking alone after dark. Then again it does not get dark until pretty late during the summer. Just a couple blocks away on Spenard is Chilkoot Charlies which is a pretty rowdy bar. You probably should not be walking alone around there at night time.

The area is mostly low end apartment buildings. Many have low standards as to who they will rent to. Unless you are on an upper floor I would not leave a window open at night.

You are only a block or so away from a bus stop.

Was wondering how you came about renting an apatment for three days? If it is thru a known company then you should be ok. On the other hand if it was thru an unknown online travel agency you might want to do a little checking. Just like everywhere else Alaska attracts it's fair share of online scammers.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
That area is Spenard, not quite midtown. Yes, you should be fine walking in that area.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Looks like its just down from the Bear Tooth. At least on the weekend evenings, your street will be packed with cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: