Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 PM

55 posts, read 237,641 times

Advertisements

How would you compare the number of days that you have a somewhat clear sky (even if the sun only on the horizon), with the number of days that it is overcast without snow?

Have any of you lived in Portland or Seattle? How would you compare the difference between the climate down there and Anchorage (the temp difference is obvious)?

Portland does not usually get much rain after July 4th until late October. But I have heard that in Alaska, the wettest months are July & August. Is this true?

And in the Winter months, do you have cloudy days without precipitation, like they get in Portland, or do the clouds roll in and bring snow most of the time?

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,335 times
Quote:
How would you compare the number of days that you have a somewhat clear sky (even if the sun only on the horizon), with the number of days that it is overcast without snow?
For the whole year, I'm reasonably sure Anchorage sees more clear skies than Seattle. The total precipitation is about half. Anchorage is a mixed bag, with both coastal and interior influences - makes things unpredictable.

Quote:
Have any of you lived in Portland or Seattle? How would you compare the difference between the climate down there and Anchorage (the temp difference is obvious)?
I grew up in Seattle and spent about a year and a half in southcentral AK. April, May, and June are actually a lot nicer in AK, but late summer is rainy and fall feels like it comes very early in comparison (leaves are off the trees by the end of September, and snow sticks at the end of October).

Quote:
Portland does not usually get much rain after July 4th until late October. But I have heard that in Alaska, the wettest months are July & August. Is this true?
Mostly true, but the rain starts to really increase in July, peaking in late August through October. I don't think Anchorage ever reaches the level of gloominess that the northwest sees in November - March. October comes close.

Quote:
And in the Winter months, do you have cloudy days without precipitation, like they get in Portland, or do the clouds roll in and bring snow most of the time?
There are a substantial number of overcast days in winter (especially early winter), but much less than in the northwest overall. The increased cloudiness in summer is the toughest thing to deal with IMO.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
Nothing can be as bad as last year.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Nothing can be as bad as last year.
You must be talking of last summer, cool temps and rain,,rain and more rain.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM

103 posts, read 297,834 times
Every year is different.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 PM

55 posts, read 237,641 times
Thank you, Heathen, for the info. I appreciate the time that you took to type something that is actually helpful.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:15 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iakovos Bond View Post

Thank you for your time!

I live in Alaska (Wasilla) right now, but have lived in Seattle...and against what everyone said in Alaska....Seattle's weather is so much better! In Seattle, you are guaranteed great weather during the summer. Late spring and early fall are also usually nice too...in Alaska...the weather sucks during winter and spring and most of fall...summer is hit or miss...last summer was AWFUL! I think there was 30 days of overcast in a row....THIS WAS IN SUMMER! The summer before that was BEAUTIFUL and SUNNY. It's a hit or miss here...weather wise I definitely prefer Seattle. I'll also take light drizzle over freezing cold ice and harsh winds, plugging my car to a battery charger every night etc...It's finally in the low 30's and 20's now, which is a dream! I can actually go outside and my face doesn't freeze in 2 minutes!

Use... weather.com for temperature averages and precipitation averages...it's more accurate than anyone on this forum.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
Spent 11 years in the Interior and while some summers were bad with smoke from the forest fires, you almost always had a lovely lovely summer and the winters were usually clear skies and nice even if you only got 4 hours of daylight.

Anchorage is not so good. 3 years almost and I'm not thrilled at all with the weather here. Plain and simple, I think it sucks!
I have traveled back and forth to Seattle a lot (not to mention we lived on Whidbey Island for 2 years and DH grew up on Ocean Shores) I have to see that from what I have seen, Seattle has nicer weather then Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: