Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 AM

161 posts, read 683,577 times

Advertisements

Hey,

My brother is in the military stationed in Alaska with orders to leave in a couple years. His wife has decided she wants to divorce and they have two children. I have never experienced divorce this close to me before (my parents stayed together til the end) and was wondering how child custody rules when one parent is in the military? One of the kids also has a life-term illness that his military insurance must cover. His wife has stated she does not want to leave Alaska but he has to leave when his orders are up. They have stated they want joint custody but she is threatening to take their kids away from him just to spite him I think. She really has no reasoning otherwise since he bends over backwards for both his kids and the wife. Anyway, the kids are 14 and 8 and I'm assuming that is of age to state their preference of primary residency?

If anyone can offer any advice on this it would greatly ease my mind. I am afraid she will take them and we won't see them again since we live on the opposite side of the continent. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
This seems like a tough case. Were your brother and sister-in-law able to resolve their differences? I think mediation Alaska Divorce Mediation may work in a case like this, given that it seems like they both deeply care about their children. This way, at least the kids may be protected somewhat.

Last edited by mommatalks123; 03-14-2011 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: punctuation error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage